Coral Vue Hydros

(The death of the)12g nano cube

AlisaMac

I lied in the previous post.. I got bored and took lots more pictures.. fts' of both tanks and some goodies in the 75 for your viewing pleasure..

fd8xv4.jpg

the war coral that refuses to spread... there are some little star polyps on the underside too

2edz1ow.jpg

the hairy mushroom!!.. and that g-d'd urchin

15oa4n6.jpg

the best I can capture of the saddlebacks

110aded.jpg

i know.. overkill with the seahare but I just love him so much..

359bpk6.jpg

we cant remember what this is called... it's going up in the id forum..

2qk4gm1.jpg

the 75

j6iv52.jpg

the 12 :happy:

• 4 weeks later...

Merry Christmas everybody! Hope santa was good to everyone. Josh got me my mini-g skimmer :D and my stand is almost done! I've got my amazon cart open with the pump for the sump just itttching to be bought... I've had lots of growth going on this past month that I'll update with pictures tomorrow after a much needed water change.. I've got a thread up about the sump plumbing in the DYI forum and would love if anybody has some advice to post Here!

Merry Christmas I think the one you need an ID on is green nepthea. I have something similiar in my tank. Just love it I call it the little green tree

• 3 weeks later...

SUPER Over due for an update but nothing crazy was happening besides buying hardware and equipment.. yawn.. BUT this week has been eeeeeeee-v-e-n-t-ful..

Joshua finished the stand! It's beautiful and matches his stand and the entertainment center and I am super happy about it

ruz97s.jpg

We got the sump all set. I got to play with a silicone gun and that was entertaining. We went baffle-less.. and totally blew out a wall when we added water. Dunno what we're doing about all that but I think we're just going with it.. I chose mud over sand for my refugium.

8xmog8.jpg

It's a bit of a mess due to the state of emergency I'll get to in a second. The skimmer is on the ground in front of the tank and it's a little murky because Josh was messing around with something.

So this week I ordered my bulkheads and we get the plumbing necessary to finally get everything set up. Josh is doing the construction and finds out that the back wall of tank isn't acrylic like we had previously been lead to believe but in fact glass. It was way past any reasonable time to find a diamond tipped bit so we left it until this morning. We got everything today and I left for work like I always do and he was gonna get to drilling through my tank. Welp, I get a text saying the 1st hole went off without a hitch. A while later I get a text that says "Utoh" uhhhhh what do you mean utoh!? Before he could even get to drilling the second hole the damn thing cracks! But it's strange because he drilled the second hole after the crack occurred and everything was fine with it.. (mean while I'm freaking out at work) I'm ok now because hes seemed to patch it ok. Most of it is above the water line and what isn't he's patched with silicone and spare acrylic so fingers crossed until it's water set tomorrow night.

2ugicuf.jpg

"But Alisa, where are all of your pretty corals?"

Good question.. They are in a bucket.. Set up with the heater and the powerhead and I'm just hoping everything survives. This sort of thing makes me very very very happy that I don't have any fish yet..

2dlj1tx.jpg

Before the tanktastrophe we tested the skimmer and turns out it's preeeettty loud so Josh decided to play in the bathtub with it to see if it was always gonna run loudly.. It is..

b3mnub.jpg

Last week when I went to get the mud I found a ricordia that I'm pretty excited about

2gw8d20.jpg

:D

And finally here is what it looked like two weeks ago.. Who knows what it'll look like when we get everything moved in again. I'm terrified of a tank shock because I was stirring things up looking for any sand dwellers to move to the heated bucket.

mhujjn.jpg

Crazy craziness..

Thanks!

In other news the 75g is missing its court jester goby.. haven't seen it in about a day and a half.. :unsure: There is a pretty aggressive clown fish in the tank and we're wondering if she or the wrasse bullied it into hiding or worse.. I've got a pretty good video of Josh getting attacked by her during a water change and if I can find a way to upload it i'd love to share, its pretty hilarious..

Don't know if you will see this since it's an older post. I have a BC8. Been up and running about 2 years. It has 4 rics,3 zoo colonys,a few hermits,4 cerith snails and a yellow tail damsel. In April 2010, I got a tiny yellow clown goby. He was doing fine. About a month later he disappeared...no trace. I figured he died and the crabs and brissalworms ate him. I bought another one in July and he has been fine.....well tonight ,Jan15,2011to my amazement , saw 2 yellow clown gobies in the tank...Now where has that little guy been hiding ,let alone surviving for 7 MONTHS in that little 8 gallon tank????? Go Figure. I guess somehow he got in the back of the tank and then somehow got back over the wall. However I try to keep the water level 1/4" below tod of back wall.....

Don't know if you will see this since it's an older post. I have a BC8. Been up and running about 2 years. It has 4 rics,3 zoo colonys,a few hermits,4 cerith snails and a yellow tail damsel. In April 2010, I got a tiny yellow clown goby. He was doing fine. About a month later he disappeared...no trace. I figured he died and the crabs and brissalworms ate him. I bought another one in July and he has been fine.....well tonight ,Jan15,2011to my amazement , saw 2 yellow clown gobies in the tank...Now where has that little guy been hiding ,let alone surviving for 7 MONTHS in that little 8 gallon tank????? Go Figure. I guess somehow he got in the back of the tank and then somehow got back over the wall. However I try to keep the water level 1/4" below tod of back wall.....

That is nuts! I figured it was extremely possible to lose the rainsford because he was literally a blip on the radar in the 75 because he was so small. But more than 6 months in a tank that small is crazy! Congrats on your fish coming back :)

So we survived the night I think? The ric blew off the rock it was on and is somewhere in the bucket but I don't want to stress anything out more by screwing around everything again. I hooked up my hood and put the lights on and made a little shanty pico in a 4gal bucket. I dont know how you pico reefers do it.. We're waiting until I get home around 4 tonight to piece everything back together and I'm just hoping for the best.

We sprung several leaks and just lost our patience with the 12.. It got to the point where we were mad at each other because we were so frustrated. So after some thought we've decided to scrap the 12 and move my stock into the 75g.. We might take on the mod of completely replacing the cracked wall in the future but we're in no hurry for that. For now we've decided to just work on the 75 and are pretty happy with that decision after the fact. It's unfortunate that so much time was spent building the beautiful stand for it to sit empty so who knows what tank will take it's place somewhere down the line. But c'est la vie. I'm probably being super melodramatic about this but that 12 was my baby lol. I am however very excited for the opportunities presented with the large tank that I never would have dreamed of in the nano. So this is probably it for this thread but here is the picture of the redone 75.. its on a cellphone and still settling so excuse the crappy quality..

2afh3s3.jpg

So sorry for the frustration of the leaky 12 :( . Don't want to seem like a vulture, but is there any interest in getting rid of your stand ????

Archived