Pod Your Reef

Hydor Slim Skim nano skimmer

JoeVic

I recently purchased this skimmer for my biocube 29. I had some problems at first finding a place for it to fit, as it will not fit in chamber 1, but luckily it fits in chamber 2 quite snug. It took a few days for it to break in but it is producing about a cup of green tea looking skimmate, and I am very impressed. This was an upgrade from my Oceanic Biocube protein skimmer(never produced a whole lot of anything). One caution I give if thinking about buying this skimmer is that it is a lot bigger than it appears, or at least it was for me.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Will it fit in Rea Sea MAX 130 ?

How noisy it is ?

My Tunze 9002 is not working anymore :(

I just wonder if this would be a good replace or not?

If you move the magnets to the other side than how they have them mounted, yes it will work in the RSM. But the Tunze produces more skimmate. The Tunze may need a cleaning and make sure it is still at the proper water level.

If you move the magnets to the other side than how they have them mounted, yes it will work in the RSM. But the Tunze produces more skimmate. The Tunze may need a cleaning and make sure it is still at the proper water level.

Thanks Steve, I actually i prefer to use my Tunze specially because i have your cup. but It is not bubble out anymore I opened it and cleaned it, but still something is wrong I wonder if you know where could I find a document or tutorial for repairing it.

Clean the hoses out, possible salt creep in the air line. You can always contact Tunze USA for some guidance.

• 1 year later...

My Hydor produced a lot of micro bubbles when I installed it. I don't know why skimmers do this. I filled the bottom chamber with filter fiber and it caught a lot of the bubbles. After 2 days I removed the fiber. The skimmer cammed down and the micro bubbles behaved. I moved the cup o ring towards the top and its working fine now. It does take some time to adjust this skimmer and having a ATO is a must. A change is salinity really effects this skimmer producing bubbles. I like it now.

Archived