Pod Your Reef

Hydor Slim Skim nano skimmer

JoeVic

Just curious if any one out there has had any experience with this new Nano Skimmer option. Looks cool. Mainly I'm curious if it's a good fit for AIO tanks like my 34g Solana.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good advice Stevie, I'm not in any real need of a skimmer, but since Sapphire went under this is definately the next best option. I'd like to see a few more reviews on it first, on how people are implementing them into their systems.

Looks like premium aquatics has the bigger one and the smaller one is coming in a few weeks. Looks like it will fit under the hood of cubes easily. I hope it actually works.

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplie...l?fe_feedid=126

Yeah, that's where I saw they were for sale!! Heard it was sometime later this year, but looks like they've hit the states now!

Good advice Stevie, I'm not in any real need of a skimmer, but since Sapphire went under this is definately the next best option. I'd like to see a few more reviews on it first, on how people are implementing them into their systems.

Yeah, that's where I saw they were for sale!! Heard it was sometime later this year, but looks like they've hit the states now!

Do you know how long they have been out overseas?

i wouldnt waste my money on it. square skimmers are one of the worst skimmers ever made. all for corners block the flow of bubbles which means less time to react properly witt the water. cylinder skimmers is the best way to go. cone skimmers arnt as good at cylinder skimmers eather.

its to much to explain so heres a video link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGDBvr7s-U4...feature=channel

i wouldnt waste my money on it. square skimmers are one of the worst skimmers ever made. all for corners block the flow of bubbles which means less time to react properly witt the water. cylinder skimmers is the best way to go. cone skimmers arnt as good at cylinder skimmers eather.

The Slim Skim Nano actually has a cylindrical chamber built into it. This helps to direct the bubble upto the collection cup and eliminate microbubbles from escaping out the bottom of the skimmer. The first versions of the Slim Skim Nano did not have this cylinder and the performance was the same.

The most important thing in every skimmer is the powerplant. The shape is not as critical to performance as is what is producing the bubbles and their quality, after all the bubbles are what is doing the cleaning, not the skimmers shape. The shape of a skimmers reaction chamber is about asthetics, and getting the bubble to the cup.

The Slim Skim Nano is 3 inches wide and 13 inches tall. The water enter through the front grill and exits out the bottom grating. You need about 4 inches of clearance front to back. Given the limited in the back chmaber of most nano tanks, the skimmer will be likely be installed sideways on one of the internal baffles. Also keep in mind that because the skimmers draws water from the surface of the water through a grill near its top, the water needs to be atleast 11 inches deep.

The Slim Skim Nano is 3 inches wide and 13 inches tall. The water enter through the front grill and exits out the bottom grating. You need about 4 inches of clearance front to back. Given the limited in the back chmaber of most nano tanks, the skimmer will be likely be installed sideways on one of the internal baffles. Also keep in mind that because the skimmers draws water from the surface of the water through a grill near its top, the water needs to be atleast 11 inches deep.

Sounds like this might drop right into chamber 2 of the bc29... right next to some media baskets.

If someone tries this please post your review on it

i would take that guy with a grain of salt. ive seen that video and most of the time he doesnt know what hes talking about

i would take that guy with a grain of salt. ive seen that video and most of the time he doesnt know what hes talking about

The goofy host, or Jeff Macare?

The most important thing in every skimmer is the powerplant. The shape is not as critical to performance as is what is producing the bubbles and their quality, after all the bubbles are what is doing the cleaning, not the skimmers shape. The shape of a skimmers reaction chamber is about asthetics, and getting the bubble to the cup.

Are there any photos of the skimmate that one of these can produce? At RAP they had both Slim Skims on display, and instead of putting skimmate into the display and properly tuning the skimmers - someone working the both had intentionally dumped a cup of coffee into the tank. The skimmers were flooded with watery, cloudy skim - hardly what I would call a decent demonstration.

As far as rectangular skimmers are concerned, I've never heard anything but praise for Deltec's MCE600, and that is as boxy as they come...

The goofy host, or Jeff Macare?

Jeff Macare.

find the part where he dumps his skimmate back into the sump and hear him explain how his skimmer instantly starts to skim it out again....by him closing the gate on his skimmer to make foam overflow into the cup.

Jeff Macare.

find the part where he dumps his skimmate back into the sump and hear him explain how his skimmer instantly starts to skim it out again....by him closing the gate on his skimmer to make foam overflow into the cup.

I watched it a month or two ago, and noticed the same exact thing...and the host didn't call him on it...

It would have been more interesting to hear how Jeff plans to compete while continuing to ignore market trends and developments.

Will this fit in the back of a Solana 34g?
The Slim Skim Nano is 3 inches wide and 13 inches tall. The water enter through the front grill and exits out the bottom grating. You need about 4 inches of clearance front to back. water needs to be atleast 11 inches deep.

I have to look at my solana but it seems like it will fit. All depends on that 1" needed for water intake, wonder if the actual water intake on the camber counts.

Archived