ReefCleaners.org

Pong's 20L College Reef

awpong

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice pics... makes me want a SLR dammit :unsure:

Awesome pics man. Everything looks really healthy.

Thank you everyone, I'm glad y'all enjoy my tank. I love it when people comment on my thread, it makes me feel accomplished haha. I always see people with threads that are 80+ pages long, and I'm just amazed at their traffic :P

Anyways, although I didn't have time today to upload all of the pictures I wanted to, I was able to film a short little

. I'll get individual fish pictures and macro shots up sometime this weekend.

Alright, here are some pictures I took. I did rescape just a tad, and by that, I mean that I moved the leather to my 40B and moved the torch up higher. I like the look a lot better, I'm just worried about the torch stinging stuff. I've already seen some of my green button polyps try and actually eat the torch's tentacles. I'll just wait and see how things turn out. I also removed some of the anthellia that has been invading the leather.

Anyways, picture time.

Here's a partial tank shot (PTS)

PartialFTS.jpg

You can see the new location of the torch. I like it!

SpsIsland.jpg

Sps Island

Mushrooms.jpg

Orange Mushrooms

MidasBlenny.jpg

Lenny, the Midas Blenny

ClownFrogspawn.jpg

Lilly, my female clown

Clam.jpg

My Clam

your tank is so pretty, i am so jellerous :*(

Beautiful tank Pong.

Thank :) I'm glad y'all like it. Hopefully it will one day become nice enough to be TOTM material fingerscrossed

Hey what are your setting's on your camera. Also, What Bulb do you have in that MH. It looks like you have no trouble catching the true colors of the tank with the new camera. I wish i could get mine to do that.

Hehehe Thanks everyone! I'm glad I can finally share my tank with everyone.

Hey what are your setting's on your camera. Also, What Bulb do you have in that MH. It looks like you have no trouble catching the true colors of the tank with the new camera. I wish i could get mine to do that.

I'm still new with the camera and haven't really read up on the settings too much, but this is what I can tell you.

My ISO is set at 1600, f5.6, 1/125, and all of the pictures are RAW. When I took my FTSs I used a custom white balance, but for the macro shots and what not, I used AWB (Auto White Balance).

I'm also using a 14000K Pheonix bulb. I hope this helped.

Dude. those orange mushrooms are BAD ASS!

Looks like you're having fun with your new camera :lol:

Lastly, your clown looks grumpy. lol

Haha my clown always looks grumpy. I always thought clowns were supposed to smile :D

Here are even more pictures!!!

:)

Actinics.jpg

Actinics

SideTankShot.jpg

Side Tank Shot

BangaiiCardinal.jpg

Bangaii Cardinal

Blastomussa.jpg

Blastomussa

And if anyone can ID these zoas for me, that would be awesome!

UnknownZoas.jpg

UnknownZoas2.jpg

UnknownZoas3.jpg

lookin fabulous!!!

Beautiful tank, do you have a sump or anything? or is it all live rock filtration? and how many lbs of live rock? I'm hoping to upgrade my 12g to a 20g long later this year and I'm still a noob. I use purigen and chemipure eleet and filter floss in my 12g so I'm not sure what to expect if I don't have it when I upgrade, since I would be losing my nice little back chamber. I figure if your tank is that amazing, you are doing something right!

P.S. mine is also a college tank :)

Beautiful tank, do you have a sump or anything? or is it all live rock filtration? and how many lbs of live rock? I'm hoping to upgrade my 12g to a 20g long later this year and I'm still a noob. I use purigen and chemipure eleet and filter floss in my 12g so I'm not sure what to expect if I don't have it when I upgrade, since I would be losing my nice little back chamber. I figure if your tank is that amazing, you are doing something right!

P.S. mine is also a college tank :)

Thanks. I actually don't have a sump, and I don't use purigen, chemipure, or any filterfloss. I do however have a HOB fuge and a HOB skimmer. Additionally, since I was going for more of an open look, I only have about 8-10lbs of live rock and 20lbs of live sand.

I prefer the convenience of HOB as opposed to the drilled sump. It's just so much easier to disassemble and move at the end of the year/semester.

Thanks. I actually don't have a sump, and I don't use purigen, chemipure, or any filterfloss. I do however have a HOB fuge and a HOB skimmer. Additionally, since I was going for more of an open look, I only have about 8-10lbs of live rock and 20lbs of live sand.

I prefer the convenience of HOB as opposed to the drilled sump. It's just so much easier to disassemble and move at the end of the year/semester.

Thanks for the reply :) I'm excited to upgrade.. waiting on my RO/DI unit first :>

Thanks for the reply :) I'm excited to upgrade.. waiting on my RO/DI unit first :>

No problem, good luck with the upgrade!

Hey bro, lookin good, how's that Midas blenny treating your other fish?

He ever jump?

Swimmer?

The Midas is awesome. He's never jumped and swims quite a bit during the day. Even when he's not swimming, he's always visible with his head poking out of the barnacle. He's also really friendly and isn't aggressive towards any of the other fish. The only aggression I've ever seen from him was when he was fending my six line away from his area when he was just introduced to the tank. However, ever since then, he's been really peaceful.

andrewguilfoy

Holy crap your tank is awesome. I just graduated The New England School of Communications in Maine. How do you do it? I used to be home for like a month around christmas time.. And what about like over the summer?

Holy crap your tank is awesome. I just graduated The New England School of Communications in Maine. How do you do it? I used to be home for like a month around christmas time.. And what about like over the summer?

Haha, thanks.

It's definitely not easy! I have 2 tanks in my dorm room... in Pennsylvania... and I live in Houston, TX. Therefore, managing the tanks over long breaks such as Christmas and Summer break are very difficult.

Although my tank is a little over 1 year old (Started in August of 2010), the current fish in the tank were added in February. Thus, last winter break I just left the tank on it's own and didn't have to worry about feeding (no fish, only coral). Luckily I wasn't gone for the full month. I actually went to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands in January for a school trip, and was able to check on my tank and do a large water change after 2 weeks of neglect. Then again, after I returned from Ecuador (20 day trip), I did almost a 50% water change. Luckily everything survived.

The summer was more difficult because I actually had to move out of the dorms. Fortunately I was able to move the tank to our biology department and one of my professors volunteered to take care of the tank in absence. It was also nice because I was on campus for most of the summer doing research, so I was able to give my reef the proper TLC it needed.

This winter break is going to be interesting. I'm currently trying to figure out my planning for this 1 month vacancy. I'm hoping some of my roommates will stay on campus (They're international students) and will be able to tank sit. If not, I'll probably end up moving the 20L into the biology department once again. The 40 Breeder, on the other hand, will probably remain on auto pilot in my room throughout the month. I'm currently in the process of selling of my lionfish in that tank, which will drastically reduce the bioload for that tank. It's not ideal, but moving that tank will be a b!tch. :angry: I'm currently on the lookout for a nice reliable auto-feeder for that tank.

Here are some more pics I took this afternoon. I took a couple to see which one I liked best for the POTM contest (Spotted).

I also updated my FTS.

FTSDecember2011-1.jpg

ClamSpot.jpg

This is the photo I chose to enter.

And here are the other two that I took.

MushroomSpot.jpg

BangaiiSpot.jpg

Archived