Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pong's 20L College Reef

awpong

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
looking good.

did your frogspawn bleaching under the MH?

Nope. But now that they're on the side, I'm worried if they'll get enough light. But I acclimated my frogspawn to the MH lighting for 2-3 weeks using the screening method.

Here's a cool pic. I've had my frogspawn colony for 8 months now, and it's never split.. not once. But now!!! I've gone from 6 heads to 12 in less than a week. Here's a picture of one of my heads splitting into 4!

815e410f.jpg

Yea, I'm glad it made it through the storm too haha. Anyways, I just moved the tank so I'm not quite sure if i like the current scape, but here's a FTS of it currently.

05159079.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update since I moved the tank a month ago.

FTS: September 24, 2011

d7df1b9f.jpg

The only thing that I've really added was a porcelain crab that I bought yesterday. You can see him on my maxi mini in this pic:

af4ab668.jpg

So with the new addition, that makes a total of 3 symbiotic crabs in my tank (2 acro crabs and now the anemone crab), but my clowns still refuse to host in my frogspawn :'(

I was going thru some of my pics just now and it's sad to see how one of my favorite sps colonies declined due to my 3 week absence when I had to go to TX. :'(

Before:

83aa634d.jpg

After:

af4ab668-1-1.jpg

However, I do have lots of other good growth.

Here's what the Tricolor originally looked like. Now you can see him all colored up with nice growth.

DSC_0619-1.jpg

The same goes for my birds of paradise frag:

IMG_20110407_101126-1.jpg

Hell, here's even a picture of both the tricolor and the birds of paradise from May ( You can see most of my new growth is only from 4 months of growth :) )

ea8b2108.jpg

Since I was already doing before and after pics, here's the tank's progression:

10g:

DSC_0658-1.jpg

20g:

d7df1b9f.jpg

Technically, since this tank was originally the 10g, I guess it's officially over 1 year old (I set up the 10g on August 27, 2010). However, if you count from it's upgrade to the 20L, then it's only about 5 months, and has since been moved twice. Gotta love college dorms lol.

• 3 weeks later...
Here are some of my new additions to the 20L. Not much, but I wanted some more color.

35e926da.jpg

Orange Digi

It looks like it's giving me the finger :lol:

After 10 months in my tank, and after multiple failed picture attempts, my clown finally decided that today was the day to befriend my frogspawn! Now I've just got to wait for the other clown to see how much fun shes missing.

IMG_1312.jpg

After 10 months in my tank, and after multiple failed picture attempts, my clown finally decided that today was the day to befriend my frogspawn! Now I've just got to wait for the other clown to see how much fun shes missing.

IMG_1312.jpg

Congrats! That's very exciting.

Now your clown will never leave and it will be as if it never existed. :lol:

Well both of my clowns will occasionally swim in my frogspawn, but it's primarily the female's home now. However, I'm really surprised by how much time the clown spends in the frogspawn. I had expected it to never leave! But to my surprise, the clown is only in it for a few scattered moments throughout the day. The female does however sleep in the frogspawn's shriveled tentacles at night.

Here's a little video of the two of my clowns in the frogspawn. They still aren't officially a pair yet and you can still see the aggression. This video is actually pretty ballsy for my male. He's usually on the other side of the tank:

th_IMG_1336.jpg

And here are some random pics of my densely growing zoa garden:

IMG_1394-1.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

And here's my porcelain crab:

IMG_1385.jpg

I don't know why his shell is growing brown algae. It's not growing anywhere but on him. He'll lose it when he molts, but it's just bizarre.

Plus, since I love this picture, here's a shot of my new RBTA:

IMG_1365.jpg

However, this beauty isn't in this tank. It's currently hosting my cinnamon clown in my 40b.

• 2 weeks later...
your tank is really looking well

that blenny needs more fooood

Thanks, but the blenny gets plenty of food. He's really fat aside from his face. I've done some searching but haven't been able to find the cause for it. It just looks like his cheeks are a little sunken in, but aside from that, his stomach is always full. I always watch my fish during feeding to make sure everyone is eating, so I know he's not spitting anything out and is always eating.

Anyways, I finally filled in my blank patch of sand on this tank. I went out and bough some orange shrooms that fill the space nicely.

5c177e42.jpg

Here's a bad FTS of the tank with the shrooms in it. I don't know why the photo turned out so blurry, but at least it was able to capture most of the color of my tank.

1ab4d6cf.jpg

When I get some time, I'll try to take a better pic of the tank.

looking good! gimmie that frogspawn :)

Haha, yea it's my favorite coral in the tank. My #2 is my neon green torch, it's just dwarfed by the frogspawn.

Here's a better FTS. It's still a little bit blurry, but it's a better view. Unfortunately the colors are still getting washed out. I need a better camera. My phone just isn't cutting it anymore.

c1f6fedb-2.jpg

Took some pics of my zoas today. If anyone recognizes some of my unknown ones, any identifications would be greatly appreciated.

Devil's Armor

IMG_1583.jpg

Eye of Ra

IMG_1579.jpg

True Dragon's Eye

IMG_1578.jpg

Unknown Zoas #1

IMG_1575.jpg

Unknown Paly #1

IMG_1573.jpg

Mohawk (left) and Unknown Zoas #2 (right)

IMG_1569.jpg

I have two new updates. Well, rather I am just announcing the anxious arrival of two new toys.

First off, I just placed an order for my very first DSLR camera. I'll have it on Thursday, so I'll finally be able to show of my tank in all of it's natural (unedited) glory.

For those of you who are interested, I purchased the Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

Second, I am battling a minor algae problem in my 40Breeder, so I decided to try out a GFO Reactor. Last week I purchased the BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor. Although I'm going to be testing it out to see how well it works on my 40B, I decided that a little GFO in a filter bag wouldn't hurt my 20L. Therefore, I went ahead and purchased a little filter sock too. These toys should arrive tomorrow, so I'll see if the added GFO helps reduce my tiny algal growth in the 20L and also helps promote more (SPS) coral growth.

Well my DSLR arrived today, and I love it!

I've got a million pictures already, but here are two of the tank itself.

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

Probably some time tomorrow I'll add a couple hundred pictures and macro shots of everything in my tank hahaha

Archived