Top Shelf Aquatics

Porcelain crabs

Kamao

Bought 2 from LFS. Haven't seen them in almost a year. I did find an empty shell once but I don't know if it was a molt or the carcass.

I'm not going to buy buckets pf phyto and potentially crash my tank w/ excess nutrients.

Live phyto won't pollute the tank.

Interesting discussion - am thinking of getting one of these guys. Appreciate all the info. & references.

I love mine, she is pretty awesome. I see herall the time, the only thing I have to do is chase her off my Duncan colony sometimes.

They filter all the time, if you plan to keep one in a tiny tank you will have to supplement his food. Mine eats Cyclop-eeze, Mysis, Pellets, Flakes (if they fly into his filter arm things), etc.

drunkenmonk21

I bought a Green Porcelain crab about 9 months ago. I see him every now and then is all. I bought a White Anemone Porcelain crab 2 weeks ago and it practically stands in the middle of the tank feeding.

I would lean towards the Anemone Porcelain for any tank.

jedimasterben
I bought a Green Porcelain crab about 9 months ago. I see him every now and then is all. I bought a White Anemone Porcelain crab 2 weeks ago and it practically stands in the middle of the tank feeding.

I would lean towards the Anemone Porcelain for any tank.

This. Mine was hosing a sebae anemone (with two clowns, no less!) before I kicked him out for tossing out the fish I was trying to feed the nem! He didn't want it, he just picked it up and threw it over the side of the rock the nem lives on! He now wanders around the tank. He hosts anything from chalices to candy canes to my frogspawn, but lately he's just been hanging out on top of a rock, waving his filter fans like he's an air traffic controller!

jedimasterben
What type of anemones will this species take to?

Just about any. I've got a sebae, condy, and rock flower in my system, and while he loves the sebae the most, he has hung out in or around the other two nems since I kicked him out of the sebae. Adding a bubble tip into the system right now, he will probably be friends with it, too.

Got a teeny little porcelain anemone guy at Petco today, I saw him and had to have him. He's probably 3/4" long total, about 1/4-1/3 of the size of my other one.

I have 3 porcelains.

Dingbat is my Carribean porcelain, a gray/blue large crab with black dots and dashes and yellow trim. By trim I mean his accent color. :rolleyes: He's a dingbat for sure, attacks the nass snails, fluffs the mushrooms, runs around waving his arms like a baboon.

I have 2 white anemone porcelain crabs, one from live aquaria (Lola) and the other from reef cleaners (Mr. Silly). Lola is like a homing pigeon, finds her way to my duncan and then mauls it to death.

All 3 LOVE LOVE LOVE new spectrum 1mm crustacean pellets. They also like mysis, nutramar ova, and oysterfeast.

Lola is like a homing pigeon, finds her way to my duncan and then mauls it to death.

Sounds exactly like mine. For the record my Duncan's hate it. :/

jedimasterben
Sounds exactly like mine. For the record my Duncan's hate it. :/

Mine haven't gone near the duncans, in the past couple of weeks (before my ammonia spike :( ) my duncans were my healthiest-looking coral, especially when I dump some mysis shrimp in the tank! The whiskers triple in length and width and are amazing!

When I bought my Duncan frag it had five heads. After my crab kept bugging it, I lost the one head and I thought all the rest were goners. I moved it to a different spot and fed it lots when it would eat and now I have about twelve to fifteen heads forming from the original four. I am pretty happy about it, and I am very diligent in my efforts to keep my crab away.

Nassarius snails on the other hand are dicks and I usually have to stop them from crawling into the Duncan's or Acans mouths for food. Even when I feed them first!

jedimasterben
When I bought my Duncan frag it had five heads. After my crab kept bugging it, I lost the one head and I thought all the rest were goners. I moved it to a different spot and fed it lots when it would eat and now I have about twelve to fifteen heads forming from the original four. I am pretty happy about it, and I am very diligent in my efforts to keep my crab away.

Nassarius snails on the other hand are dicks and I usually have to stop them from crawling into the Duncan's or Acans mouths for food. Even when I feed them first!

I don't have a problem with my nassarius snails, it's more the peppermint shrimp seem to be the douchenozzles and try to take food from the anemones! They've got guts, I'll give them that!

I should have included my peppermint shrimp as well. I have to buy him off with a mysis or two before I feed the favites by his cave, otherwise he's on them as soon as I move on to feed something else.

jedimasterben

When I throw in half a cube of mysis shrimp, everything in the tank goes completely nuts. All the corals extend their polyps farther than normal, every single snail I have comes out from hiding in the sand and start zooming around, the pom pom crabs make an appearance and start jumping for joy (or, rather, trying to catch a flying morsel with their nems), and the peppermint shrimpies start doing laps around the tank. I take the opportunity to quickly throw some fish at the anemones lol.

Archived