Pod Your Reef

1.5 gallon water changes for crabs only

skeeters

Hey guys and gals-

I have a 29 gallon tank and found a hitchhiker crab. My daughter wouldn't let me kill so I put in 1.5 gallon from walmart with intank filter and heater. Put existing live rock in with existing saltwater and sand. Added a emerald crab and blue legged hermit crab so she could actually see something.

Everything going good. I just tweezer feed each one mysis or pellets. Question?

Should I change the water weekly with my normal water change or maybe change a cup daily? Never had such a small tank. Not adding corals or fish. Just 2 crabs and a hermit crab.

Thanks.

It's nothing special. My daughter just likes saltwater crabs so I thought I would give it a try with a cheap 15 dollar tank. I don't like crabs in my 29 gallon.

I feed by tweezer to try to not pollute. Also, the emerald just hides so I was thinking about trading for another blue legged crab since they entertain.

How many blue legged crabs could I keep? I think the cup a day is easy and should do, but I am testing.

DSC00449.jpg

DSC00452.jpg

looks nice, needs some macro algae though :P

emeralds can be entertaining, mine always hops around when i feed it dried seaweed with forceps. also he likes to raise his claws up and threaten me when i come to look at my tank lol. I personally like the action emeralds bring. he also likes to wrestle the forceps sometimes while i feed him.

I think 1-2 blue legs is ok in that tank. I only keep one hermit, I kinda dont like the idea of them fighting.

Mr. Microscope
Sounds good. I will keep as is. If I did put a macro algae in the tank would the emeralds eat it?

Possibly. You can just get some cheap nori from your local grocery. Feed them that with your tweezers. Apparently, emeralds will stick to eating plant based materials unless there's nothing else in the tank. Then, they go for meat.

Ok, I will add seaweed to the diet. BTW, in such a small tank how much should they eat? Just give them a little seaweed or pellets at night? I didn't know if they died in small tanks due to lack of algae.

they can die, and before that theyll go for other livestock, like hermits. I feed mine 3 times a week. this seems good enough for mine. i do sometimes feed twice in one day though. only a bit of seaweed, nori should work too.

If you add macro algae to the tank it will depend on the macro. they like some types more than others. I suggest adding w/e macro you grow in your main tanks, since you should always have a surplus of those ;)

Archived