Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How long do your snails live?

Arkayology

hookedonreef-er

Just lost my last turbo out of 4 the other day. I had them for about 6 months. Then the wrasse had some escargo.

I cant keep turbos more than 6 months. My last one lasted only a few months. I thought it was due to lack of food so I started feeding it weekly but it still didnt last.

I have a couple of ceriths that have lasted about 2 years. The nerites are over a year old now.

Astrea snails. They have reproduced several times in the tank. 2 years seems to be the average. I had one almost 3 years but died a few months ago. Shell is nearly 2 inches in height.

gulfsurfer101

I have some mexican turbo's I pulled off a local peir about two years ago still in both my tanks. I have some store bought astreas that I had in my ap24 over a year ago. They live a long time if you keep everything stable most of the time.

My tank's changed quite a bit, but I still have my ginormous snail (almost 2.5 inches tall). Was first in my 5, then my 29, now my 125. Had him for what'll be a year in January.

ceriths and dwarfs seem to last forever. my turbos lasted till my bicolor blenny killed them. probably under a year. i try to keep the temperature down when i keep turbos cause i don't think they like high temps. some turbos seem to not live very long thou. luck of the draw. the large super tongan nassarius didnt live long, but the nassarius vibex have been going for a year or so. thou i had to stop a peppermint shrimp from eating one one time when i hadn't been feeding the shrimp. havent had luck with astreas. haven't had luck with nerites. haven't had luck with stomatellas (everything eats them, and they can't protect themselves cause they only have half a shell.) collonistas are going over a year and multiplying.

Our snails typically live for years...we've had some going on 9 years now.

IMHO, the trouble is getting good, healthy specimens (they're not handled so carefully before they get to you) and not overstocking them. I also think running your tank a bit cooler helps (we run 77*F max).

I seem to be able to only keep astreas for about 6 months or so before they die or get to lethargic that they just sit in one spot barely attached to the glass. I definitely have algae for them to eat so, not sure.

I picked up some nerite snails, so we will see how they do.

I've averaged about 5 years for tropical snails (i.e. not Turbo), which is still terrible, considering many species live for at least a decade in the wild.

My Turbo died, Still have Nerites and Dwarf Ceriths and some Nassarious kicking from the original shipment and I have like 10 billion Stomatellas. They breed like rabbits. The first two I had never came out during the day, only night, now the babies come out all the time. They are awesome grazers.

My Turbo died, Still have Nerites and Dwarf Ceriths and some Nassarious kicking from the original shipment and I have like 10 billion Stomatellas. They breed like rabbits. The first two I had never came out during the day, only night, now the babies come out all the time. They are awesome grazers.

Ya, my nass and colonista are doing well. I think I killed all my stomatellas because of my high levels of Mg I was dosing to combat the bryopsis :(

our snails live as long as the hermit crabs let them :P and the hermits live as long as the tang lets them :P

Exactly what I was gonna say. Except the hermits live as long as I let them! haha

Nerites are lasting the longest for me at the moment. Wrasse ate my turbos, dwarf ceriths, and mexican turbos. Didn't seem to touch ANY nerites. The only nerites I lose are the carpet surfers.

Ya, my nass and colonista are doing well. I think I killed all my stomatellas because of my high levels of Mg I was dosing to combat the bryopsis :(

That sucks :(

I love the Stomas. Turn a flashlight on the tank right now and they are everywhere. There is one HUGE fat one.

Archived