Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

skimmer bubbles

AReeferIsExpensive

AReeferIsExpensive

Before i tell you guys the name of my skimmer...we gotta promise not to b**** about the model for 20 minutes =)

anyhow, i have a seaclone 100 (dun, dun, dun, daaaaa)...and a 10 gallon. The skimmer is hanging on the back of the tank.

The damn thing is a bubble making machine!(not new news)

My firefish is very shy and is not even visable when the skimmer is on a productive setting because of all the bubbles and motion!

Now, there's gotta be SOME way to fix this, because if i turn the skimmer down anymore it wont foam at the top.

Has anyone thought of any ideas to try and reduce the amount of "microbubbles" (yes i know they arent microscopic)?? Im willing to take the idea and try it out cause im desperate! Or anyone figured out anything that reduced theirs that i can try?

What about wrapping a silkscreen around the slide thing where the water pours into the tank? It would take weekly cleanings but may work? Anything else i could try putting around it/in it/on it? Im stumped................. =/ Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

i got the same skimmer running on my 6 gal eclipse hahah its working great so far...iono why people are bad mouthing it. what i did was i made a small box (floppy disk container actually) and i put it right under the spout thing. then i also put macro algae in the box so the macro would benifit form the water movement and gas exchange. on the box i drilled a hole for a suction cup to be fitted in. this way the suction cup could hold the box in place. it is important that u have the box be drilled with holes for the water to go thru the box. i foudn that this little DIY eliminated most of the bubbles.

I can tell you how to fix it...throw it into the closest garbage can and get a different skimmer!! :)

Ok ok, I know...in all fairness, I actually owned one of the seaclones VERY BRIEFLY when I first started into reefkeeping 7 years ago. I quickly got rid of it. But to keep the micro bubbles out of the tank, I stuck a wad of filter floss into the return. This helped a lot. Give it a try...it'll all help filter the water a bit too, and when it's dirty simply pull it out and throw it away and add some new.

Dan

AReeferIsExpensive

Thanks for the help but i think i FINALLY solved the seaclone mystery everyones always ####ing off about!! and it took no major modifications or cash$~

All i did was take the black sponge cylinder, and pushed it ontop of the little black slide that water comes into the tank on. Because its just a little wider it fits in perfectly snug. The water goes down the slide, gets slowed down, and the sponge breaks up all the litttle bubbles. Even nicer, the skimmer is actually bringing up darker scum then it was~ It took about 30 minutes for the bubbles to completely stop pouring into my tank. better skimming action and 0 bubbles! (im not as ripped off as i thought i was)

anyhow-

I highly suggest doing this to anyone who is having problems with their Seaclone and "microbubbles"

B/c that was one of my water movement sources, i am placing a wisper filter with no carbon bag next to it....its bubble free too. And, my fish that i havent seen for days b/c he was afraid of the skimmer finally decided to come out. =)

i have the older seaclone model on my 20L...i only use it a few days a month. Just an idea, try using a Maxi-Jet 750 or 600 instead of the MJ1200. That may be too much for the 10g.

btw, i love my tornado too:P

i wish it was as easy as taking off the sponge in my case.... i did that for a week and the sucking power of the maxi jet is just so strong it sucked up my nassarius snail.....(it was a b*tch to clean the maxi jet) then i was like... whatever the nassarius was just stupid but then i lost my tank raised clown to it too hahahah just my experience that sponge puts a fat "force field" if u will around the crazy intake of the maxi jet thats basically why they have it there. also its there so that the skimmer is takiung in JUST water not food debris and macro scopic material.... cuz if it does in the long run its such a mess trying to clean the skimmers bottom cup which is highly uncleanable. just my 2cents.

AReeferIsExpensive

humm GP......considering that, i have a back up plan that will hopefully work good. I saw that you can buy those sponges at the lfs for a cheap cost but they also have ones for skimmers other than seaclone. I found one that is really long with a not as thick diameter. Im going to cut it down to half the size, widen the hole a tiny bit and put that one on the maxijet intake. Then turn of the skimmer a bit b/c having to go through two sponges eventually, the water flow may be too slow. i love diy~

hey... that sounds like a good plan cuz i hate how my sponge thing is hella big in my 6 gallon elcipse nano hahah so maybe i can get one of those at my lfs could u post a pic of it when ur done? and of the foam thing u got at your lfs? thanks DIY ROCKS!....IMO

Archived