SaltCritters.com

new coral, What is it?

twichstile

it'll bud babies just like a zoa, they generally reproduce slowly though

i had a green grandis for 3 months, didn't ever sprout a baby so i just traded it

ah. Apparently this one will eat meaty foods?

yes meaty foods like mysis, I have a green paly you can see in my pics... I feed it and dose with iodide, (be careful not to OD) and it has tripled if not quadrupled in polyps in the last 3 months....

Be careful..... Iodide is not the same thing as Iodine.

If I were you. I'd skip dosing this as an over-dose could have drastic results!

oooh I like! Iodine eh? I have some Logul's..

not iodine...iodide... different, my the aquavitro kind and one called "Fuel" it's like coral crack.... also by aquavitro... amazing growth when you use them. and what's a Logul?

Be careful..... Iodide is not the same thing as Iodine.

If I were you. I'd skip dosing this as an over-dose could have drastic results!

yes it can be bad however if you test, you can do it, I realized with my tank it will burn a full dose of Iodide everty 3-4 days... so I do about 3/4 dose every three days.... test once a week just to be sure....but has not failed yet.

Water changes will replenish most, especially iodine, minerals needed for corals. Dosing iodine is a dangerous thing to do as from what I understand, iodine tests are pretty innaccurate. NEVER dose anything that you cannot test!

Matt

Water changes will replenish most, especially iodine, minerals needed for corals. Dosing iodine is a dangerous thing to do as from what I understand, iodine tests are pretty innaccurate. NEVER dose anything that you cannot test!

Matt

well that would be what you heard and your opinion... however again it's ioDIDE... not Iodine... you don't want to touch iodine... ioDIDE is different. I dose ioDIDE and have had great results with my tank and corals.

Water changes will replenish most, especially iodine, minerals needed for corals.

BTW this depends on your salt, because you are using RO/DI water... it's just liquid there is nothing left in the water to provide any nutrient for the corals, now some salt contains these elements, but again not in levels that will promote great coral growth, that is why we all dose with one thing to many things....

Logul's Solution is a Kent product I picked up a long while ago,marine depot

Since you mentioned the differences I looked on the bottle it is Iodide after all. I didn't even notice that! :P It says it has Minimum of 11.835% Iodide. But when I look at the ingredients it says "De-ionized water, Potassium Iodide, Iodine"

Either way, I am not too fond of just dropping a drop in the tank, I would probably mix it in a cup of tank water like I do with Chromomax and Phytomax and target feed or disperse in the tank. So it would kind of be a diluted solution but yea I do understand that it would be risky with not being able to know how much Im actually putting in the tank :(

yes meaty foods like mysis, I have a green paly you can see in my pics... I feed it and dose with iodide, (be careful not to OD) and it has tripled if not quadrupled in polyps in the last 3 months....

My green palys grow as fast as anything I've ever had.

Lugol's iodine (aka Lugol's solution) contain's both elemental iodine and potassium iodide. Iodine and iodide are the same element but different oxidation state ("charge"). Elemental iodine is more dangerous, but when people talk about iodine, usually they are referring to iodide and other non-elemental oxidation (i.e. iodine-containing compounds) states of iodine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lugol's_iodine

It's better to use just potassium iodide or other iodide salt if you wish to dose for iodine. However, it's a good idea to read this article before dosing since you really don't need to add it.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php#17

Hey everybody...If I ever post a thread entitled "new coral, What is it?" will somebody smack me upside my head with a brick? Aren't you supposed to do a bit of homework BEFORE you bring a new piece of livestock home? I mean really.

I don't want to come off as a prick, but the point I'm making is this. Please do yourself a favor, and at the same time do the livestock a favor and research the needs of a creature before buying it. I don't think you would bring a 10 pound Bull Mastiff puppy home without knowing that you need a GIGANTIC bag of puppy food for it.

That's real strange. I was actually contemplating making a post earlier cause one of the first frags I bought were some green Zoas. 6 months later and they look healthy but doesn't seem to have grown or multiplied at all! (While all other corals are growing / multiplying.)

If they stop growing, is it time to propagate some off? Kind of like a plateau?

Paly Grandis are not the same as the second green paly posted, those ones grow like weeds, I use to chop my colony off with scissors in the garbage every few months to keep them under control. Grandis are a lot bigger and spread much slower IME. My brown ones haven't reproduced at all and my greens have only made a few new polyps. I don't feed them however, this supposedly makes them grow faster.

Paly Grandis and Green weed paly

nov112008046.jpg

Brown and green Grandis with small paly in background

GrandForksmeetingandJantankpics024.jpg

Archived