ReefCleaners.org

My first 3g Picotope

pj86

I got a small xenai just to try it again. It was the only coral that got eaten and faded away. This time I hope it grows.

So here are the pics that I said I was going to post.

DSCF4124.JPG

I love these small feather dusters. I really hope that they decide to spawn later and populate my tank.

IMG_0139.JPG

Every time it expands more and more.

DSCF4112.JPG

Left side

DSCF4119.JPG

Middle

DSCF4121.JPG

Right side

And the FTS

DSCF4051_crop.jpg

DSCF4108.JPG

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking better all the time. It will be interesting to see how you continue to add stuff without knocking stuff down. One of my corals fell and to get it up I knocked 2 more down. I think from now on if anything falls to the back I'll just leave it because it's impossible to get out.

Thanks. Took some parameter measures (haven't since a month ago) and every thing is in range. Also was cleaning the aquaclear 70 and I saw this

photo.JPG

Can't believe these guys are spreading this much. If I ever have to sell the aquaclear I wonder how I'm going to advertise it "sun polyp encrusted aquaclear 70."

Over time that AC70 is going to be encrusted with so much life. Mine literally had its own ecosystem.

Also, one of my lights died today. I don't know if to switch to LED or keep with the compact. I was thinking I might order some more replacement, because so far the aquarium is working really well. Any comments about a transition between PC to LED?

Don't fix it if it aint broke. My tank did really well under PC lighting and got some good steady growth including SPS. When I switched to LED I got even better growth which is generally a good thing but in a 3g tank you really need to be prepared for that sudden growth spurt. For me going LED was a double-edged sword. Everything grew really well and really fast but too fast for me to keep up that it didn't take long for things to get out of control.

This is the tank thread that made me absolutely want a sun coral. How did it manage while you were away for those 13 days or did you have someone who knew how to feed it specifically? I wouldn't mind having one once I get my aquarium set up and stable, but I always have to keep in mind that we sometimes go camping for a week to a week and a half at a time and any system I have needs to survive that. You seem to have done well with it.

I must say this - your tank is of my favorite picos here!

el fab, I ended up just buying replacement bulbs, so the power compact will remain for at least another 2 years.

Thanks bioload.

Rain24, a friend who has no prior experience came every 4 days. I told him pretty much take out 10 turkey baster filled water and put 10 in. Also, I made 4 viles that contained the food and asked him to dump that food once he changed the water. Im pretty sure if your tank doesnt contain non-photsynthetic corals you can leave it for quite a while with an ATO. Also, I made a thread on how to see the tank when you are gone using your computer or iphone. Here it is http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=254015 .

So I went to visit ADA store in Houston. Wow, I was impressed with there display 60-P tank along with their glass stand setup. It was a piece of art. If I decide to buy that, I don't think I will be doing an upgrade in a looooooong time because of the price...lol.

.Newman, the tank was their 60-P I believe that is about 18 gallons. Yea I took a pic, let me email him if he is fine me posting pics online.

Little blue goby is missing. He has been gone for 2 days now. He has done this once before, hid inside a crevice and didn't come out for 2 days. I wonder if he is still alive. Lately he was getting stung by hydroids, wonder if the stings got to him. Or wonder if he died of old age, they only live for a year or so.

Hmm, if goby doesn't show up tomorrow, then I think I'm going to declare him RIP. I don't know if I would want to put another fish in the tank. I might just go all invert for some time, maybe add a pair of pom pom crabs, 2-3 more yellow cucumbers....what do you guys suggest?

Also, today I went to my LFS and saw that their 2 flame scallops had all died. I had chosen the smallest out of the group a few weeks ago, just to make sure it was a younger one.

Sad week for my tank. Im gonna have to declare my goby RIP after having him for 2 and a half months. Also, today I came to see that my emerald was also RIP after having him for about 4 months he was about silver dollar size when I got him. This past month I haven't been truly feeding him every other day, might have been the reason it got weak and died. Tank parameters are all fine.

I did some little research on neon gobies and emeralds. They seem to have a short lifespan. Neon gobies ranging from 1-2 years and emeralds 8 months - 2 years. If I had done a little bit more research before buying them, I would have picked the smallest ones out of the bunch hoping it is due to it being young.

Hmm, if goby doesn't show up tomorrow, then I think I'm going to declare him RIP. I don't know if I would want to put another fish in the tank. I might just go all invert for some time, maybe add a pair of pom pom crabs, 2-3 more yellow cucumbers....what do you guys suggest?

How about one of the smaller tank raised dottybacks?Maybe an orchid dottyback (Psueudchromis fridmani)Gorgeous fish, hardy and not a free swimmer....likes to just hang out around its cave so I think it would be ok in a tank your size. Gets 3inches tops.

no dottybacks in a 3 gal this packed pls =/ Feel free to disagree, but to me that type of fish needs more room, just a like a grownup damsel would like to have more room.

no dottybacks in a 3 gal this packed pls =/ Feel free to disagree, but to me that type of fish needs more room, just a like a grownup damsel would like to have more room.

You may be right ...I've never kept a tank this small so I will defer to those who have. My experience with the orchid is they don't really swim much around the tank, they just kinda hang out near their cave so wouldn't need a whole lotta space. Damsels are much more active swimmers IME. I realize even 1 small fish in a tank this size is a bit risky.

What I got was a pair of neon gobies which I hope are male/female. One is larger and has a distended abdomen, the other is smaller and doesn't have a distended abdomen. Right now they are being quarantined in a 2.5 gallon tank. They don't seem to mind each other but the larger one does occasionally chase the smaller one. Do breeding pairs always get along?

My plan was to buy one, but saw that these seemed to be paired. Both together are still smaller than a clown goby. I just hope they don't fight each other. Worst case scenario is putting one in my 2.5 till I find it another home. I would like a lid to avoid the fish from jumping but I think it will have a negative impact on how much oxygen is available.

Archived