Top Shelf Aquatics

My first 3g Picotope

pj86

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Done taking 13 exams in the past 3 weeks and a half, now I get a a day to mess around with the aquariums. Then back to studying :(

Here is a picture of the clam, it has color up quite a bit. It even has started to get an emerald color around the edges.

I'm really thinking in what direction I want to take this pico, I really want to create a really good looking SPS pico. Will see...

DSC09159.JPG

Is clam doing okay in a pico? I just set up my 3 gal Picotope, want to add a clam in a later time, but considering if the tank is too small to keep a clam.

what kind of micro food? what did you use? i fed some mysis today and it seemed to be happy.

phytofeast, rotifeast, oyster feast. You would need to do daily water changes. It was a hard animal to keep, and if not feed it will decline rapidly in a month or two.

Is clam doing okay in a pico? I just set up my 3 gal Picotope, want to add a clam in a later time, but considering if the tank is too small to keep a clam.

The clam is doing great, I have moved it to the nano. The clam seemed to be doing great in the pico, I was doing automatic water changes every day.

Anyone interested in buying pico jars made by me...lol. Err I really don't want to sell this tank.

• 2 weeks later...
KeyboardWarrior

Mate just read this whole thread which took me 3 days haha what an amazing tank definatly something to aspire too and I hope to see you back with a new pico soon I love the diversity of life you've managed to achieve in such a small space and the breaking all the 'rules' along the way and re writing them good luck with whatever the future holds and thanks for a great read

Josh

• 2 months later...

Wow, I miss this tank a lot. There were so many turns of event in my life the past few months but now I am back and will share my experiences in another topic.

this was a sweet tank man. so much automation, so many possibilities. this tank was really good at keeping some of the more specialized animals :)

I'll miss it too.

this was a sweet tank man. so much automation, so many possibilities. this tank was really good at keeping some of the more specialized animals :)

I'll miss it too.

Nice to see you are still active on the forums, I also miss your pico can't wait to see what you will start up next.

Hey pj I was just wondering if you had any tips or tricks for me about keeping a sea cucumber. If I remember correctly you had a yellow one in your 3 is that right? I want one in my 30 once its running and have never kept a sea cucmber.

Hey pj I was just wondering if you had any tips or tricks for me about keeping a sea cucumber. If I remember correctly you had a yellow one in your 3 is that right? I want one in my 30 once its running and have never kept a sea cucmber.

The yellow sea cucumber always seemed very reclusive and would usually stay at the opening of caves. They were always bothered by larger crustaceans and if weak they would get eaten. Always pick one that is large, I have seen healthy ones be in the range of 2-3 inches. Flow seems to be key as well as a variety of micro food. Luckily they move around to find the ideal place.

• 4 months later...

Hello, I wanted to ask if someone can clarify under pj86's post in the equipment part and categorized under Miscellaneous it says this: 4 Tom aqualifter, 1 small airpump, wine chiller (auto feeder and water change & ATO)

Little confused....

ty,

Jenny

Hello, I wanted to ask if someone can clarify under pj86's post in the equipment part and categorized under Miscellaneous it says this: 4 Tom aqualifter, 1 small airpump, wine chiller (auto feeder and water change & ATO)

Little confused....

ty,

Jenny

Im glad this thread is still inspiring saltwater hobbyist. The 2 aqualifters were use for water changes: 1 handled the syphoning, 1 handled the saltwater, airpump was for the automatic feeder, and the wine chiller was to keep the food cold. The other 2 aqualifters were used for top off and surface skimming.

• 2 months later...
Clarinet_Reefer

This and El Fab's pico are true testaments to how you can create and sustain a little piece of the ocean anywhere. I vote for a rebuild!

Archived