Top Shelf Aquatics

My first 3g Picotope

pj86

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some more photos,

Sexy molting (couldn't get a better pic)

DSCF3766_crop.jpg

The same blasto's under actinic, the only glowing red that I got in the tank

DSCF3850_crop.jpg

i wouldn't worry about feeding the sun babies

if they prosper--- GREAT!

but otherwise let them go

that's just my opinion

if you have the patience to feed 'em, feed 'em

"Also, for reals?! You have your NPS suspended from the light hanging into the tank? Then you use the cup to cover it and feed it?? Utter genius. Well done. cool.gif "

+1 :happy:

This pico is flippin insane! I have been watching this thing since you first started and wow you have done an amazing job! That is really cool that you have seen your sun coral do that. good job and keep up the good work. Cant wait to see your next little bedroom pico!!!! hopefully my pico is even half as successful as your tank

Thanks.

"Also, for reals?! You have your NPS suspended from the light hanging into the tank? Then you use the cup to cover it and feed it?? Utter genius. Well done. cool.gif "

+1 :happy:

lol, yea the "light bulb came on" in my head when I was holding a cup watching my NPS get fed in a bowl :D .

Tank was looking different this morning, maybe because I just got out of taking my first exam. Everything was really happy, except the large feather duster. So I just had to take some tank photos. Enjoy

DSCF3862.JPG

DSCF3866.JPG

Picotope #2 up and running. A 2.5 gallon. Will start a thread once it is cycled. This one will only have frags from my first picotope, which will most likely be grown and then traded or sold. So this picotope hopefully will be more dynamic and changing constantly. Also, this one is in my room so I can see it while I study.

That picture of the sexy molting is awesome! How many sexies do you have in there? Im sure you have said but i missed it lol. Are you going to start a thread on the bedroom tank or are you just going to add some info in this thread. Also great minds think alike.....3 gal pico in the living/kitchen area and 2.5 in the bedroom. I love checking out your thread, im never dissapointed, this is one of the best picos on this site. Keep up the awesome work

I just like my weekends, gives me more time to enjoy the day. So today the sun decided to come up early this morning in my aquarium. Here some pics

DSCF3900.JPG

DSCF3928.JPG

DSCF3907.JPG

DSCF3912.JPG

I love this tank! Its a great inspiration!

Im about to start my first tank and it will be a pico, but i find it hard to identify all the corals i like.. Could you maby name the once you have on a list and refere them to a picture with numbers? I would appriciate that alot!

-Jonas, Sweden

Thanks Sultanen, yea I can mark what is what. Also here is a good place to start learning about each coral, http://www.nano-reef.com/corals/ .

Here are some photos, so my sun polyp babies seem to be growing up and no longer look like little orange dots but rather now look like little sun polyps. Growing really nicely. Here are some photos, wish I had a better camera for some macro shots.

DSCF3952.JPG

Here is a close up

DSCF3952_crop.jpg

do you feed the tank anything? they will benefit from small particulate food, likely the same stuff you feed to your feather dusters.

Yea the tank is dosed constantly 24 hours in intervals of every 3-4 hours. I posted it some where in NR (found it page 7). This tank is heavily fed, that is the only way they are growing so quick.

Soon this tank will be put through a real hard test....vacation. I will be gone for 13 days. I have asked one of my friends to take care of the tank, every 3-4 days to just do water changes and drop a preset amount of food. Besides that, the tank will run on its own. I also have set up a webcam that will let me monitor the tank 24/7 anywhere that internet is available. Any advice or comments?

I'll be running some webcam tests tomorrow, to see how it works. Anyone want to see a live stream of my aquarium via skype? If anyone is interested PM your skype account and I'll PM you back with the account the webcam is set up with.

1. are you in lubbock

2. were those juvenile polyps planted there by you or did they pop up there either way is cool because it looks like its natural, can't see messy glue marks or anything unnatural.

I'm in Houston. My large sun coral seems to spawn every 4-6 days, releasing a few larva that settle among the rocks. There are about 40-50 tiny polyps around the tank now.

ah i remember when i left my 3 gal for a month for vacation. nerve-wrecking to say the least (put so much work into it). My advise is to setup a huge top off reservoir for the ATO (if you have one here, i forget) and make sure all the connections and details are properly working.

you have a good person to take care of it tho, so you should be fine. just be sure he/she cant mess up with the water changes by adding too much or too little salt.

take an FTS of it when you return before you clean it so we can see how well it lasted the 2 weeks!

best of luck of course :)

Enjoyed reading through this thread. Really nice tank, especially in such a short time.

I'm in Houston too. Would be interested in one of your sun coral babies if they ever grow up.

Archived