Pod Your Reef

My first 3g Picotope

pj86

it wont have any significant oxygen reducing nonsense. you use an AC, and its reservoir section and its waterfall area are all exposed to air, AND the filter causes plenty of surface agitation, so youre fine. the lid will reduce your evap issues as well.

If they are paired, why separate them to fit your needs? Though if they do fight each other, that would justify separation lol. They may be small now, but they do not stay that way forever :lol:

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know why, but I always have the need to change something in this pico. I really want to let it just grow and fill in, but its hard to be satisfied. I have never thought it would become an obsession but I think it has...lol. Maybe I should start looking into making it more automated, a controller, feeding pump...

Thanks d'Espresso

So, I setup a semi-automatic water change system with some aqualifter pumps because it was just getting to tedious doing it all manually. Also, I added a frag of a blueberry gorgonian and a small blue sponge just to see how they fair in my system. I added 2 more yellow cucumber to see if it induces them to spawn. My sexy is once again carrying yellow eggs and I saw here push them out directly into her abdomen, will update my other thread and put details there.

I have ordered fauna marin food and hope to receive those soon to test them out in my tank. I also need a better nitrate test than API, any suggestions? Now that I'm feeding about 1ml of microscopic food particles I want to test my water much more frequently, until I hit my desire goal of .83 ml of phyto feast, .33 rotifers, .15 oyster feast, and will play around with the Min D.

Today, I sat down and stared at my tank for the longest time and felt really satisfied. I really hope this feeling lasts for some time, because at moments I think I do to much to the tank and don't really sit down and marvel at the tiny inhabitants that occupy such a small space.

lol staring at the tank is normal. I find that one does this more frequently at the start of a new tank to become acquainted with all the new animals one has never knew of before. this feeling of appreciation only grows the more you learn about them. If you have a microscope, you can get even more out of your tank ;)

The diversity you'll find is amazing.

Tank is doing well. Had to move a few things to make them slightly happier. Coco was hiding to much because xenia was causing to much shadow movement, so I had to move the coco. An inch of the tube had attached to the glass, so I had to discard that inch. Now he remains open 24/7 again. I also moved the blasto further up to receive more light and they seem to have really appreciated it.

I have been searching for tiny filter feeder additions, like small sponges and small feather dusters but have had no luck. Any other cool and small filter feeders?

Photos to come soon.

So here are some photos,

I will start with the new additions

DSCF4208.JPG

Blueberry gorgonian frag. This species have very low survival rates, and haven't heard many success stories keeping them more than 2 years. Just giving them a try, for 4 bucks I think it will be nice to see how well it fairs in my system.

DSCF4204.JPG

Blue sponge. This sponge was on a snail at the LFS, a few days ago I saw that the snail had died and it left behind with it the sponge. So I purchased the sponge.

DSCF4190.JPG

I got this small toadstool frag from a LFS that gave it to me for free. It is growing really quickly and has about doubled in size and is already attached to a rock.

Here are a few closeups of my older inhabitants

DSCF4184.JPG

Had to move the coco, because it wasn't happy in the back due to the movement of the Xenia

DSCF4192.JPG

Mellena sp. I cant wait to get the sea fan food from fauna marin to add it to my feeding mixture.

DSCF4197.JPG

The flame scallop has gotten plumper since I have purchased it.

DSCF4195.JPG

The orange ric just keeps on growing but doesnt want to divide. The yellow tip purple yuma has already divided.

DSCF4200.JPG

Trumpets have gotten pretty darn huge compared to when I first got it.

And here are the FTSs

DSCF4155.JPG

DSCF4149.JPG

DSCF4166.JPG

DSCF4173.JPG

Looking better and better. I'll be interested to see what else you can jam in there.

btw you might want to consider removing that bubble algae before it becomes a problem. I've noticed some popping up in my pico as well.

andrewkw, thanks. Yea will be taking care of that bubble algae. I've noticed that every time a remove some chaeto some different algae appears in the main tank and then stops growing once the chaeto begins to grow again. I have this really cool actinic glowing nemastoma growing, hopefully it will keep on growing.

It has been up for 5 months.

Yikes, just a moment ago I accidentally put about 8x the amount of food I feed every 3-4 hours. Gonna have to do some water changes and back off on the feeding for the next 2 days.

Finally, got my Fauna marin minF food. Gonna start right away and begin adding it to my food mixture. Hopefully, it will increase the amount of food the filter feeders receive.

Mr. Microscope

Wow! That vid is freakin' awesome!

How do you keep the glass so clean towards the bottom? Your corals are very close to it. Especially the GSP and Tubs.

Also, for flow, are you just using the AC70 on full blast? I didn't see any other pumps.

Wow! That vid is freakin' awesome!

How do you keep the glass so clean towards the bottom?

Also, for flow, are you just using the AC70 on full blast? I didn't see any other pumps.

I have a DIY chopstick glass cleaner that I made...lol, I'll post photo soon.

Yep im only using the AC70 on full blast.

Update on the MinF. I just gotta say, WOW. Less than an hour and I can see a huge difference in response for feeding. I can see extra fine hairs on the tentacles that I did not even know existed on some of the polyps. And the yellow cucumber have their tentacles super stretched out. So far initial response to product has exceeded my expectations.

About 5 months. 10 years ago I wanted to get into the hobby, but backed out after doing lots of research. Last year the interest began again and I was surprised to see the wealth of recent scientific info that was out there about the husbandry of saltwater organisms. So, I decided to give it a try.

I was about to buy a spiral coral, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay the price. I should really buy a RO/DI unit to save up on gas and purchasing water from the LFS. Also, that will limit the times I enter LFS to see what new corals they have...lol

I'm really looking for tiny sponges and feather dusters. Also, maybe some tunicates that people have had more success with.

I might start giving a try to the fauna marin products. The Min F seems to be very promising.

Archived