Coral Vue Hydros

My first 3g Picotope

pj86

Thanks Copingsaw. If the sun coral baby's survive then I'll let ya know, so far they are growing pretty quickly.

After 3 days of low feeding phyto/rotifer/oyster feast and heavy water changes, I think my tank is ready to endure the 2 long weeks. It is so interesting to see how fast these little tanks can change, after decreasing the feeding the few patches that had little bit of algae disappeared in matter of hours.

Tested the webcam and it is working. Ready to go.

Today when I went to get some fresh water from my LFS I saw a yellow gorgonian. After seeing it, I knew this is going to be my next addition to the aquarium once I return from the trip.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took an 11 day trip to Ireland over the summer. My 15-gallon tank made it through just fine. Aside from the auto-top off system, the tank was completely ignored for the entire time. It needed a good glass scraping and extra large water change when I returned but my clowns and corals all made it. Good luck but as long as your friend is topping off I'm sure it will be fine.

5 days into my trip and so far great!!! Been enjoying the holidays and the break from school. Aquarium is physically 1200 miles away but with the webcam it feels it is an arm length away. Here is a photo of what I see currently,

Video%20call%20snapshot%203.png

Newman, all the feather dusters are alive. The large hawaiin got stressed and lost its crown about a month ago. It was stressed because the current of the syphon head was to strong, I had to put a piece of live rock to break the laminar flow. Its making a good recovery and its new crown is growing every day. 5 more days and I'm back at my apartment.

its really well done I don't believe Ive seen a 3 gallon go that long with its keeper away +10 great job also its the first time Ive seen documented sexual reproduction in tubastreans in a pico wow

this is truly a powerfeeding method and my friend Kathryn really appreciates your pico as well I've linked it to her for ideas on alternate practices

B

Happy new year!!! I'm back home!!!! 13 days gone and the pico is doing amazing, specially the zoa's. The only thing that noticed my absence was the sarconephthya, it will need major feeding to bring it back up. All the rest of the corals have grown quite a bit. I thought I was going to lose something, but fortunately everything is alive.

So, I ended up getting a gorgonian for my aquarium. Everything is working well. All the corals have grown quite a bit, zoa's have seemed to growth much quicker when the aquarium was left alone. Feather dusters are alive and growing. The Hawaiian type is almost its size when I had got it. It has constructed a longer tube about 2-3 inches longer. The coco worm missed my stay and is now getting fed. Kenya tree has grown quite a bit and maybe in 2 weeks will need to frag it. GSP has grown to cover all the rocks I have provided it with, gonna aad more free rock so it can attach to. Sarconephthya will need extra care, it is not happy. Candy can has an extra head now. Mushroom as giving off 3 babies. Stomatella population has exploded, got to see them spawn 2 days ago. Sexy are still alive and happy. Fish is a little skinny but will surely gain its weight in a matter of days.

On another note, I'm thinking if i should get an aquacontroller III because soon I will be busy with rotations at the hospital. I want to be able to control everything from my phone and check it when gone from the apartment.

Well here is a FTS taken with my phone, better pics will come soon

photo.JPG

Very nice it's the best looking Pico I've seen in a while.

Id say its race between you and pj. Both awesome picos. I think i am just partial tp pj's becuase i have close to the same setup :P

thesmallerthebetter

this is a marvelous tank :)

i love the hanging sun coral so much haha

idk where you are located, but if you have too many of those baby polyps...im a buyer for sure haha. :P

i hope that your success with a high nutrient load system brings some light the ULNS crowd that dont feed their picos....youre doing it right and going strong. i admire that :)

Thanks y'all.

Adrewkw, I've been following your picotope thread and your tank is inspiring me even to go smaller.

idk where you are located, but if you have too many of those baby polyps...im a buyer for sure haha. :P

Houston. I wouldn't mind giving ya some for free, the ones that are attached to things that are small and I can remove.

So, today I got a flame scallop. They are short lived in nature (2 years) and in captivity even shorter lived. I saw a small one at one of my LFS and decided to give it a try. It has already made a mess by shutting itself several times trying to find a spot. I hope once it settles it will be happy for quite some time.

Also, today I saw that one of my sexy shrimps is actually carrying eggs. I think my tank inhabitants seem to like to reproduce quite a bit. Maybe a little too much free time? :lol:

photo of proud mother, I will try to get a video when she shuffles them because that is when you can see the eggs.

photo-1.JPG

Great progress! Before you add more, be sure to give your current livestock some time to grow. You'd be surprise to see how much they can fill up that tank. Otherwise this tank pretty much demonstrates what I've always strive to do with a pico. :happy:

thesmallerthebetter
Thanks y'all.

Houston. I wouldn't mind giving ya some for free, the ones that are attached to things that are small and I can remove.

im in socal, maybe when we get a bit warmer weather you could ship out a few? id love to plant them in my picos and watch them grow into mini colonies :)

awsome move on the flame btw. ive wanted to try an electric for some time. just never got the balls haha.

and the berried sexy is thrilling as well. any plans to try and rear them?

Thanks you guys.

Great progress! Before you add more, be sure to give your current livestock some time to grow. You'd be surprise to see how much they can fill up that tank. Otherwise this tank pretty much demonstrates what I've always strive to do with a pico. :happy:

I will no longer add any corals in the tank, though it's so hard to resist when you see the perfect piece. I'm starting a second smaller tank just to play around with more.

im in socal, maybe when we get a bit warmer weather you could ship out a few? id love to plant them in my picos and watch them grow into mini colonies :)

awsome move on the flame btw. ive wanted to try an electric for some time. just never got the balls haha.

and the berried sexy is thrilling as well. any plans to try and rear them?

I wouldn't mind shipping them out. Not experienced at it but willing to learn. Keep in mind they are really tiny at the moment, growing quickly.

I have a second tank that I have modified to accommodate the baby sexy shrimps if the female decides to spawn. I hope I can catch them in time, so I can transfer them. Also, after they are raised I'm hoping reefers will help me get them out of my hands because I just don't have enough room, lol.

Photos

DSCF3999.JPG

gorgonian polyps

DSCF4002.JPG

Zoa's are getting fuller

DSCF4005.JPG

Happy as a clam or scallop

DSCF3978.JPG

DSCF3991.JPG

DSCF3985.JPG

DSCF3996.JPG

Kenya tree starting to seem like a tree.

Sweet mother of pearls! Never notice this thread. I love me some NPS.

I keep a mix reef tank with NPS corals.

That's a nice looking gorg.

I saw one at city pets that look just like it.

Where did you get yours from?

myhosnson, so I'm guessing you are from Houston. Yea I got it from city pets. It was one that they have had for several months, not the ones they received recently.

Archived