Top Shelf Aquatics

jdl's pico

jdl

ha thanks. it's an app on my iphone, it's supposed to mimic a lomography camera. not the best but that's why it was free. i had a reg fts but somehow lost it. the tank is still doing ok. ive been getting bored with it, then have some new revelation that makes me want to reinvent reefing....then back to bored. the only critters that i paid to have in the tank are the sexies, hermit, and astrea. i think i gotta get a crab or some algae eater, and am leaning towards a clown goby..maybe. i just replaced my bulbs, chemipure, and fuge lightbulb.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

crazyness lol

how did you load multiple pics in one post anyway? it always only lets me attach one pic per post...

also is that blasto new or has it been in your tank for a while? I have one just like that in my pico :)

i just kept hitting reply and it automatically grouped them. the blasto is fairly new, been in the tank for a few months? i think my sexies were picking them to death until i increased the amt of food i give them. in a couple of weeks the xenia will have crawled all the way around and will wrap the entire back of my tank.

thanks! yeah the coralline had been a pain in the a##. i took brandon's (vase pico) idea of using a wire hanger for cleaning it off my glass, and it works perfectly. i changed salts from io to reef crystals and i think i notice a little faster growth and better color(tank overall).....or my brain bought into the brilliant marketing schemes from instant ocean and im mind f'ing myself. i noticed that you have some crazy color morphs goin on with your zoas. mine seem to be fading. they still look ok physically but lost some brilliance. any ideas or help?

Mr. Microscope

It looks like they're shrinking a little. Are you feeding your tank. I'm getting good results with coral frenzy and cyclope-eze. Also, my lights are a lot more intense than yours. That makes a big difference with color. Feeding and more intense lighting should help to plumpen them up and improve color. Though, I'd focus on feeding them and see how they look in four months if you're hesitant to spend money on a lighting upgrade.

yeah im feeding them cyclops. the percentage of protein in my cyclops is much much less then cyclop-eze though. my sexies are picking at them a little. i know my light is pretty weak....but im at the point now where i actually want to succeed with it. to much hate on the coralife 36w. i am thinking about making my own coral food something along the lines of el fab's.

flatworm outbreak is so bad that i dont have to clean my glass with nano-mag, its been like this for weeks. kinda nice i think they will stay. no harm to any corals as of yet.

Hi,

Don't you see the sexys feeding on the zoas?

I also have my zoas closed until i remove the sexys from the tank and now they are full open...

yeah i know...im not concerned. i kinda made this tank "survival of the fittest" so i just let nature do her thing. i like the sexy shrimp much more than the zoas anyways. the only thing that has pissed me off about them is they were eating my blastos as well. i had to increase their feedings.

How do you like the coralife 18w x 2 pc lighting ?

it is ok..... runs very warm, some say hot but im calling it warm. it is inexpensive, but bulbs need to be changed every 7-9 months and they are expensive. i have had it since day one and like the results i got with it. i wish i had gotten something better at first though. evils par bulb or a t5 setup is what i would have done different to be honest.

new sexy shrimp, anemone shrimp, and clown goby welcome to the team. pix to come once they want to come out. on another impulse buy that i know i should have researched but whatever, light upgrade (sorta)

Nice little tank!

...... i kinda made this tank "survival of the fittest" so i just let nature do her thing.

That little chunk of encrusting gorgonian, it will win. It'll pretty much kill off anything it touches. I have a patch of that stuff about the size of my hand in my tank, it started out about the size of a postage stamp. It's already wiped out a colony of zoas but it's the wife's favorite so I'm not allowed to do too much to it...I have to ninja trim it.

Steve

thanky!

yeah it was huge when i first got it. then my emerald crab decided to "mow the yard" for me. now the crab is gone and it is spreading like crazy

clown goby gorging itself on cyclops this morning, pretty happy about that. it looked kinda starved. gonna return crappy light upgrade for a refractometer.

Archived