inTank Media Baskets

keydivers 20 gal planted tank

keydiver

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
make sure to search remora paper towel trick.

Ah a silencing trick. thanks for the advice. Any other good tricks for keeping it as quiet or efficient as possible?

For the most part thats all I found it to need. its close to set & forget. as long as you not looking for it to pull like an in sump would.

For the most part thats all I found it to need. its close to set & forget. as long as you not looking for it to pull like an in sump would.

Well, never had an in-sump, so this is my first experience with a skimmer. I'll probably end up upgrading eventually like I always do...just toss a little more money into the pit of no return :P

Got the skimmer today, and I think I have it installed properly. It came with the pre-filter box, so that was a nice surprise that I wasn;t expecting.

BUT, I can't seem to get a skim whatsoever. I expected a wet skim, but the bubbles aren't even coming up into the collection cup. Any advice?

Give it a week to actually skim, & set the cup all the way down until the crud comes. keep in mind that anything that you put in the tank will prevent the bubbles forming.

• 2 weeks later...
Give the skimmer time to break in and you should be good to go!

Yep, the skimmer is nice and broke in now....it's pulling a wet skim, but I haven't tried adjusting it yet..anyways it's working really well, better then I expected.

I got a sweet patch of nemastoma (or a similar species) from a friend that didn't want it today, hopefully it grows well in my system. But I REALLLLLY need to trim some of my caulerpa prolifera.

seconded, Pics or we take the tank.

Once I clear out some of this caulerpa! You can't see any of my pretty macros :P

Nice macros! I wish I had variety like that in my tank. Where do you get them from?

Thanks man!

All over the place lol. Some I get when diving, some I got from friends, some from LFS that were giving them away...ect ect. Just keep your eyes open, your collection with grow.

Some good people to talk to would be maria (got2envy), and obviously John, they both have awesome stuff. I might be placing an order with john soon. I've just gotta clear out all this D@MN caulerpa, it's driving me nuts, but I don't want to just trash it. And nobody seems interested on my macro sale thread, so I might just start giving it away

johnmaloney
also open to any criticism or ideas. Thanks guys!!

you should put some calcifieds in that tank, pencil caps and fans and the like, surprised you havent gotten them yet. from the looks of your current caulerpa growth green seems to be your color. ;):)

you should put some calcifieds in that tank, pencil caps and fans and the like, surprised you havent gotten them yet. from the looks of your current caulerpa growth green seems to be your color. ;):)

Yeah I have some pencil caps and udotea, as well as pine cone algae, but I need to clear some sand space before I can put anything in, that's why i'm selling my caulerpa so cheap

johnmaloney

lol....you cant even see the rest of the tank with that caulerpa but it looks really healthy all the same.

lol....you cant even see the rest of the tank with that caulerpa but it looks really healthy all the same.

Yeah I know.....it's nuts. I haven;t seen my mantis shrimp in 3 weeks.

I was wondering, do you know how C02 injection would affect the chemistry of seawater? For my next project I want a C02 injected dry ferts dosed macro growout tank, just wondering if it would work. I know C02 bonds with saltwater to form carbonic acids, but what does this mean for growth/plants/invert life/microfauna? Also I assume dry dosing would work the same as if a freshwater planted tank.

markandstaci
Yeah I know.....it's nuts. I haven;t seen my mantis shrimp in 3 weeks.

I was wondering, do you know how C02 injection would affect the chemistry of seawater? For my next project I want a C02 injected dry ferts dosed macro growout tank, just wondering if it would work. I know C02 bonds with saltwater to form carbonic acids, but what does this mean for growth/plants/invert life/microfauna? Also I assume dry dosing would work the same as if a freshwater planted tank.

Adding CO2 will lower the pH and increase alkalinity.

Adding CO2 will lower the pH and increase alkalinity.

But how much different is the pH/alkalinity swing in comparison with a FW system? If it can be done without killing off microfauna/CUC, then I think it would be cool to try it, at least in small doses to give the macros some extra growth.

But how much different is the pH/alkalinity swing in comparison with a FW system? If it can be done without killing off microfauna/CUC, then I think it would be cool to try it, at least in small doses to give the macros some extra growth.

also why its a good idea to top off with co2 water. ;)

check with seabass on the co2 thing, he's been doing it in his tank.

Also why i came by I remembered that I use to have a couple rubber bands around the lower part of the skimmers cup to help cut noise.

Archived