ReefCleaners.org

keydivers 20 gal planted tank

keydiver

OK guys, time for an update, i'm might have to start trimming soon, but for now I like the overgrown look.

The blue scroll has finally started to take hold.

post-55106-1294368426_thumb.jpg

post-55106-1294368439_thumb.jpg

post-55106-1294368466_thumb.jpg

post-55106-1294368505_thumb.jpg

post-55106-1294368514_thumb.jpg

post-55106-1294368525_thumb.jpg

post-55106-1294368571_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BananaSlug79

That is killer! I really wanna do macros in my 5gal that I just set up. Where did you get yours from, and do you know the names? thanks!

nevermind lol, just realized there was another page before this!

I actually got mine from got2envy on here, she does trimming of her macro tank and sells "frag" packs.

I have caulerpa prolifera, red grape, titan, halmenia, udotea, blue scroll (species of padina), and blue ochtodes. I think thats all.

BananaSlug79

Hey, thanks! I appreciate that... I am really big into vivariums and this is going to be my first reef tank. I REALLY love the diversity of plants in my vivs and would like the same in my aquarium. This has been more info on the macros then I've seen yet. Thanks!

wow, that's funny, I was just thinking about setting up a viv with either a peacock chameleon pair, or poison darts. I have a big mesh chameleon cage, hoping to make an extensive water feature. If you don;t mind me asking, what do you use for substrate, I know there are a bunch of different things to use, just trying to figure out what would be best. I have a fogger also, hopefully I can make a moving river w/ terrestrial bromeliads and what not!

• 3 weeks later...

i think i might be trimming in the near future, would anybody be interested in macros? i would ship if i did sell, just want to see if there's any market.

• 3 weeks later...

Tank is looking fantastic!!!!!!!!

I am happy that the macros are doing great :)

the red branchy stuff looks like pink galaxy...noice!!

for a viv the best substrate is ABG mix ;)

joshsfrog.com sells it for pretty cheap...u can also make it yourself...the recipe is on dendroboard.com

1 part milled peat

1 part milled sphagnum moss

1 part fine charcoal (We usually at least double this)

2 parts fine tree fern fiber

2 parts fine orchid bark

it's da bomdiggity!

Tank is looking fantastic!!!!!!!!

I am happy that the macros are doing great :)

the red branchy stuff looks like pink galaxy...noice!!

for a viv the best substrate is ABG mix ;)

joshsfrog.com sells it for pretty cheap...u can also make it yourself...the recipe is on dendroboard.com

1 part milled peat

1 part milled sphagnum moss

1 part fine charcoal (We usually at least double this)

2 parts fine tree fern fiber

2 parts fine orchid bark

it's da bomdiggity!

Thanks Maria! As soon as I get the budget, i'm setting up an arrow frog viv with a big water feature, it's gonna be schweeeeet.

The red stuff, I actually got while diving, it was brown when I put it in my tank, but colored up like that! noiice

sweeeet

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I'd figure to do an update while in updating my other tanks. The macros have been growing like crazy, the caulerpa prolifera looks like a giant wave of green-ness, and the ochtodes finally took off, and are growing great. I also found some ulva while kayaking in the mangrove forests, so I added that as well

post-55106-1302744376_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey bitts while you're on my thread, I need to ask you a question because I know you're the skimmer expert. I'm thinking about getting one, because I have what I think to be a dino outbreak, and I guess I don;t have enough nutrient export. The dino's aren't really affecting the tank too much, I just want to catch it while it's early. I have tried peroxide dosing for the pst 4 days, and i'm really skeptical about it.

So, I think I want to add a skimmer. Since my system is set up so that there is really no place for an in-sump, aI was looking at the HoB skimmers like the remora's and octopuses. My system is 50g total volume excluding displacement. What do you think I should do?

I could also get a phosban reactor, but i'm not sure how effective that would be. If you could help me out, that would be aweosme

Well we all know my take on skimmers, so factor in my bias.

Of course you should be running a skimmer. honestly I'm not that up to date on the hob's. but I loved my little remora. ON the old 10x10 it pulled as much as the rs80, due to the bioload. a lot of it I think will come down to what your looking for & what your expecting. The one the about the remora is sound. its a noisy little bugger. you can do some pretty simple things to help, but just something to be aware of. other options, the 9002 always gets good reviews. one of the easiest ways to judge skimmers is the air draw. which with the remora is hard to actually judge, but should help with the others. now on my current setup I know that my little remora would be chugging along. whould it be pulling as much as the euroreef probably not simply do to what Im doing with my system. ( dosing 8-10ml of vodka daily into a 30gal system & still growing macros) But I'd bet that it would still pull a ton of stuff. honestly though the one's I'm most excited about currently are the new stupid little tube's with an air stone, you see for the pico's. cheap easy & effective for what they are. due to why we use skimmers in the first place, bubbles are cheap. they are some down sides to skimmers. like they don't actually pull all of the nasty's out out of the water. but when you look at the price to run vs other options like carbon & such. bubbles look really good. plus the other pro's like ph stabilization. another thing that seems to be forgotten about skimmers is that there all the same & its not the amount that they pull so much as the rate, I know some pull more & this & that & blah blah blah. but on a system that's not ment to run ultra clean buying the 600$ super skimmer doesn't matter so much see what you can find in the 80-100 used range, or diy a mame style tube. to start with it could at least give you an idea as to whether the skimmer will meet you needs better than carbon.

Well we all know my take on skimmers, so factor in my bias.

Of course you should be running a skimmer. honestly I'm not that up to date on the hob's. but I loved my little remora. ON the old 10x10 it pulled as much as the rs80, due to the bioload. a lot of it I think will come down to what your looking for & what your expecting. The one the about the remora is sound. its a noisy little bugger. you can do some pretty simple things to help, but just something to be aware of. other options, the 9002 always gets good reviews. one of the easiest ways to judge skimmers is the air draw. which with the remora is hard to actually judge, but should help with the others. now on my current setup I know that my little remora would be chugging along. whould it be pulling as much as the euroreef probably not simply do to what Im doing with my system. ( dosing 8-10ml of vodka daily into a 30gal system & still growing macros) But I'd bet that it would still pull a ton of stuff. honestly though the one's I'm most excited about currently are the new stupid little tube's with an air stone, you see for the pico's. cheap easy & effective for what they are. due to why we use skimmers in the first place, bubbles are cheap. they are some down sides to skimmers. like they don't actually pull all of the nasty's out out of the water. but when you look at the price to run vs other options like carbon & such. bubbles look really good. plus the other pro's like ph stabilization. another thing that seems to be forgotten about skimmers is that there all the same & its not the amount that they pull so much as the rate, I know some pull more & this & that & blah blah blah. but on a system that's not ment to run ultra clean buying the 600$ super skimmer doesn't matter so much see what you can find in the 80-100 used range, or diy a mame style tube. to start with it could at least give you an idea as to whether the skimmer will meet you needs better than carbon.

I actually found somebody on here selling a remora for $80 with the maxi 1200, so I jumped on that. Hopefully it does what i'm looking for it to do. I'm not expecting super quality water from it, I leave that up to my macros mainly. I'm just looking an extra kick in the export of DOM, essentially leading to a healthier system. I know people say stuff about pulling phyto and good stuff out, but I do a WC every week, and add generous amounts of phyto, plus the pros outweigh the cons. I just need these freaking dino's out of my system, plus it would be nice to get the bryopsis dying down. Anyways, i'll post up when I get it and see how it does.

Archived