Coral Vue Hydros

my "CUSTOM"SeaLife 20" MH retro conversion

KrackerG

Originally posted by rklutts

Have you had any trouble with the WPI ballast? I have one and for some reason it only worked for about 12 hrs and then stopped.

Rob

I have had this on my 10gal since last summer and no problems wrom the WPI unless I bump the tank. Then the light will go out. It does come back on after a few minutes

Chris

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Originally posted by D2Rhino

Where did you buy the 75w halide ballastendcaps?

i got the halide ballast from a friend locally in the electronic lighting business. even tho the wpi ballast has been working fine for me for months, I have recently switched to an aromat ballast mounted externally outside of the hood. i suggest people looking to do this mod mount their ballasts outside of the hood.

endcaps?? no endcaps. the ceramic socket is from a regent halogen type light...a yellow worklight to be specific.

• 2 weeks later...
EmptyWallet
Originally posted by KrackerG

i got the halide ballast from a friend locally in the electronic lighting business. even tho the wpi ballast has been working fine for me for months, I have recently switched to an aromat ballast mounted externally outside of the hood. i suggest people looking to do this mod mount their ballasts outside of the hood.

endcaps?? no endcaps. the ceramic socket is from a regent halogen type light...a yellow worklight to be specific.

I saw it mentioned somewhere that you might actually perform this mod for people for a fee. I'm very interested in the 20" setup. I would say as you do thats more than enough light eh? Anyway, Pm with some info.

EmptyWallet

Well of course!! At any rate, what would you estimate the total cost was? Also, this setup can be used with an adjustable timer correct? I'm a complete noob when it comes to ballasts and such. I was looking on the website where you got the bulbs, and I'm finding that they also have 150w as well. I would imagine you'd have to get a ballast to match that though. This is the hood that I think is just like the one you modded, correct?

http://www.futurepets.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES...UM=CU01020#PROD

Is that price for it about right or can I get it cheaper. That also has the fan in it. However we are going to remove those.

EmptyWallet

Ok, I got this Orbit here:

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_Orbit.html

should be here soon. Now, I'm assuming that I'm going to need a special small or slim ballast to go under the lights, to fit up in there, is the WPI the only thing you'd reccomend? I'm re-reading the whole thread over and over and I keep picking up new stuff each time. LOL.

EDIT, I see the WPI ballasts are no longer available. So, that means I'm going external ballast. I searched for the Aromat on ebay, and came up with nothing.

• 5 months later...

UPDATE:

tank still going strong! i have tons of orange zoos, brown zoos, blue/pink zoos, 2 different xenias, GSP, gold finger leather, acropora, some green striped mushrooms, and a tank full of purple and pink coraline algae. i am quite happy with the growth i'm expirencing. however, i am still a "newbie" when it comes to reef keeping so the clams will have to wait!

hope to have some photos posted soon...:)

KrackerG@yahoo.com

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Same problem, pics are gone :huh:

heellloo! i am an old member from nano-reef, i am DIGGING this thread out of the DIRT. All the photos and images were lost during the transition to the new site. oops. i will so try to re-upload the images, as well as showing some new photos. so happy to see the site is still up, i have been absent for ~4 years :)

70w is plenty for a 10-15 gallon tank, i recommend you use fixture such as Custom SeaLife , JBL. i have a bunch of 150w aromat electronic ballasts for sale, email me at KrackerG@yahoo.com for more info! i will sell them B) cheap!

Archived