inTank Media Baskets

my "CUSTOM"SeaLife 20" MH retro conversion

KrackerG

Reefer_Buddha

i have 2 wpi ballasts. One works and one doesnt. The guy that sold it to me from ebay (just to let you know his id is strang-surplus) wouldnt take it back. d*ck. so im gona contact a local lighting shop and see if they can fix it. If so ill do that and i can sell it to mai , cheap.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by KrackerG

I hear ya, Mai...and I don't blame you for waiting....good luck in finding one! I love the fact that everything is self-contained, all in one, compact. Keep us updated on your hood...

BTW, WPI is Warner Power Inc. located in Washington state...see if maybe you can find a phone #...

I am calling as we speak

oooOOO, you got a number!!??

ask them about the EM90 ballast and if its the same as the EM85...look at one of my previous posts. Let us know what they say...:)

Originally posted by Reefer_Buddha

i have 2 wpi ballasts. One works and one doesnt. The guy that sold it to me from ebay (just to let you know his id is strang-surplus) wouldnt take it back. d*ck. so im gona contact a local lighting shop and see if they can fix it. If so ill do that and i can sell it to mai , cheap.

That is cool with me. I am trying to get a number for WPI right now. I will let everyone know if I find one

Originally posted by Mai

damn wrong number called Warner Power in NH

sorry looking for new number

WAIT A SEC!!!! You got the right number I think...they are in NH...i knew it was somewhere up north:P

mai-- your most likely not gonna' find it locally, IMO, ebay would be your best bet, or check in the classifeds from time to time. When I was seaching locally, I found lots of Advance ballasts or Magnatek's but were all over priced around $100.

Also, I found WPI website and have been doin' some research. WPI has some new products coming out soon which usually means companies will want to unload old stock items. So I also called them and got some more info and a good contact...Ken S. is their ballast expert. I just left a message for him on his cell phone:) so I'm waiting for a call back...will keep you posted. In the meantime, here is some web info:

http://www.warnerpower.com/news/productrel...g_ballasts.html

Well I had to give it a try locally and nothing. I will keep searching. BTW KrackerG got any pics of your tank as in the aquarium itself. Are you having any algae problems with the new lights? Did you decide on what you are going to put into the tank?

Reefer_Buddha

mai, why would he have algae problems?

warpcore , no he couldnt use that because its for the standard pc's that came with the hood and they dont put out uv that needs to be shielded, its just an acrylic cover so water doesnt get in there

mai, why would he have algae problems?

When I added my CSl light I had an algae growth. I thoughr he might have had on also. That's all

warpcore , no he couldnt use that because its for the standard pc's that came with the hood and they dont put out uv that needs to be shielded, its just an acrylic cover so water doesnt get in there

But there seems to be some disagreement on whether acrylic does filters UV:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=25782

So if it does, can the standard acrylic lens be used or does it get too hot.

Thanks.

Reefer_Buddha

ok i think you just didnt understand what i wrote so lets try it again. PCS dont create UV enough to warrant a UV coated acrylic plate. OK? you need UV glass, mh will warp an acrylic shield.

I'm putting the 70 W retro into my 20" CSL this week and I'm planning on using Lexan XL from Home Depot. From what I've read in the forums this will block enough UV and will withstand the heat. I have to first hand experience though. Do a search for "lexan".

barkingoyster

Great DIY. I have the same CSL fixture over my 10g AGA. However, I just bought a 30g cube with the same 20 inch dimension and have been struggling with a lighting solution for weeks now. Where can I find that 70w WPI Metal Halide Electronic Ballast. All of my searches come up with just the bulb. Again great looking light, I think that you have solved my problem.

i suggest going with the aromat ballast, several ppl had problems with wpi....... look up nais on ebay there is a guy selling them. they started at 19.95, now he upped it to 39.95. also kracker in the classifieds is selling them. i may have a contact on ushio 70w for about half , if not a little more then they sell on the internet at 60-75 dollars..

Reefer_Buddha

Well, i got my CSL 30" hood today and im STOKED :D. The actinic part is just crazy and makes my zoos look like im doin acid, heheh:) Im just gona leave on the normal hood for a few days then this weekend...halide time! whoo hooo!

Oh forgot to ask...for those of u that use day/night/dusk simulation do you use 2 timers or how do you set it up to have moon/actinic/normal in sequence?

Archived