Pod Your Reef

my "CUSTOM"SeaLife 20" MH retro conversion

KrackerG

Your doin' a 30" too, Buddha?!! ok, ok then the race is on!:P Post pics if you get yours setup before mine...I'm gonna' kirk out if you do!! Me first...Me first!

beermu- it's all about the pearls, baby...I'm gonna' keep nothing but all clams! :D nawwww , just kiddin'...honestly, I'm not sure what's goin' in it...so far all I got is my 15lbs of LR and sand and my janitors:) 1 fish is due soon. (2 max)

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KrackerG

I am having trouble finding the parts for this DIY. Where did you get the parts? I can find the fans and computer power cord but not the regent fixture?

Mai

Mai-- The Regent fixture comes in different shapes and sizes. I used the WQ300. Reefriot's QF 300 is impossible to find in the Wash DC area for some reason. You should be able to find it at HD, Lowe's, even Walmart. You will be just using the socket and wires... and maybe a part of the reflector...well worth the $9! ;)

beermu--- FYI, the Aromat ballast WILL NOT fit inside the hood as I mounted it. So you have to mount it remotely, but this may be a good thing tho...heat.

I have 2 of the Aromat ballasts already...these are for my 30" CSL which should be here today. :D

Reefer_Buddha

yes i think it could, if you just keep enough space between the pcs and the halide, maybe 2 fans would help out. Only way to know is to try and see

Not to mention, the variety of bulbs you can get in 150w is much better than 70w. Although that may change as I see alot of interest in the 70's these days.

With a 70W MH retrofixed to a CSL 2x40W (total of 70W MH and 80W PC) I'm assuming this will be adequate for keeping SPS and clams. Or would I need something more substantial like a 150W MH?

The ballast in my 20" CCSL is a WPI EM85-120-S01 which I am very satified with. Lately, I've been seeing these WPI EM90-120-S03 100w ballast going around on eBay. I'm not sure (chime in someone...) if these are just the new "replacement" model of the EM85 ??

Aromat recently released their replacement to the 3-EUF ballast, the 5 -EUF which supposely runs cooler, uses less power, allows for futher mounting distances, etc. I wonder if this EM90 is WPI's new model just like Aromat did. BTW, I have 2 of the 3-EUF ballast and am very happy with them too! These are going in my 30" CSL in the next day or 2...

FWIW, Advance makes an electronic 70w ballast (got 'em too!)that is actually both 70/100 watts and 120V/277V ...but the one I've got says right on the label, "FOR SINGLE ENDED BULBS ONLY!" Another source told me the new WPI EM90 may fire SE bulbs only like the 6500k 70w Iwasaki. I'm hoping (wishing)maybe the EM90 is just the same as the EM85...but so far, doesn't look good. Lastly, I think Advance also makes a new slim 70/100w ballast too...simular to the WPI or Aromat.... hmmmm....

Originally posted by KrackerG

The ballast in my 20" CCSL is a WPI EM85-120-S01 which I am very satified with. Lately, I've been seeing these WPI EM90-120-S03 100w ballast going around on eBay. I'm not sure (chime in someone...) if these are just the new "replacement" model of the EM85 ??

Aromat recently released their replacement to the 3-EUF ballast, the 5 -EUF which supposely runs cooler, uses less power, allows for futher mounting distances, etc. I wonder if this EM90 is WPI's new model just like Aromat did. BTW, I have 2 of the 3-EUF ballast and am very happy with them too! These are going in my 30" CSL in the next day or 2...

FWIW, Advance makes an electronic 70w ballast (got 'em too!)that is actually both 70/100 watts and 120V/277V ...but the one I've got says right on the label, "FOR SINGLE ENDED BULBS ONLY!" Another source told me the new WPI EM90 may fire SE bulbs only like the 6500k 70w Iwasaki. I'm hoping (wishing)maybe the EM90 is just the same as the EM85...but so far, doesn't look good. Lastly, I think Advance also makes a new slim 70/100w ballast too...simular to the WPI or Aromat.... hmmmm....

Where did you get the EM85s? Does WPI have a web site?

Yupppp, genuine UV protected clear sheet glass at $17 cut perfectly for my CSL 20”!

I started a new thread with more info on my findings because I feel some of this info can be useful in all HQI Metal Halide lighting fixtures. CLICK HERE FOR INFO!UV BLOCKING GLASS vs. Plexiglas

My 20”and 30” CSL UV blocking glass prices were:

6 ½” x 20” was $17

6 ½” x 30 was $30

BTW, one problem you may run into (very probable...) is the glass shop will want to sell you the ENTIRE sheet of glass. Since they have to cut it...you are paying for it all !! Unless they are cool, you may be looking at $100 :o

Originally posted by KrackerG

Mai-- got the ballast here in the classifeds...no know website for WPI.

here buddy...bid on this one...it's the NEW Aromat one for only $20

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...MEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

just so you know, it will NOT fit up in the enclosure but you can mount it remotely...

KrackerG

I really want to be able to keep it in the fixture so I need to keep looking. Thankks for the info:)

I hear ya, Mai...and I don't blame you for waiting....good luck in finding one! I love the fact that everything is self-contained, all in one, compact. Keep us updated on your hood...

BTW, WPI is Warner Power Inc. located in Washington state...see if maybe you can find a phone #...

Archived