ReefCleaners.org

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

NirvanaandTool

Nice. Glad it finally got there!

Scape looks really cool. I like it. I'm a big fan of minimalist look.

So whats your impressions of the tank so far?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice. Glad it finally got there!

Scape looks really cool. I like it. I'm a big fan of minimalist look.

So whats your impressions of the tank so far?

The first thing I went to was the stand. It's a bajillion times better than the 34 gallon solana stand. It doesn't feel cheap. Everything else feels well laid out and thought out. I have done up the connections yet. I've hung the arms and the LED's and I have to say LED's rock my face off! It doesn't seem as bright as Metal Halide since there's no light spillage. I need to find my camera!

Scape looks pretty awesome. Its time for wet water!

I can't until I cover up the textured overflow. It's impossible to scrape algae off of otherwise.

Thanks guys!

no water yet, but all of the fittings are connected. I accidentally broke one of the spires. Off to home depot for more epoxy. Putting everything together was a lot easier than I thought it'd be.

2vtccqv.jpg

Those LEDs are frickin sexy

I love them! My only gripe is the cabling system. I wish they integrated cables in a better way to hide them.

Very nice!

Thank you, but I'm not speaking to you.

:bowdown:

Where the #### have I been??? Congrats on the new set-up bro!!!

Looks amazing so far!!!

B)

Thank you! You're too kind. I could fill it up tonight if not for the stupid overflow.

not one unit but 2 unit? daymmmmmmm Med.. you been holding out on me man! i am officially jealous. :)

lol. I need to make sure I have good coverage! Come on D, Join the 60 gallon club!

I wish I knew the glass thickness of this Solana. Has anyone seen it anywhere?

So Current uses ABS plastic for the overflow on this tank. It's textured on one side and smooth on the other. I noticed that the plastic was actually pressed against glass. I decided to remove the pieces of plastic and flip them around so the smooth side faced out. So I removed the pieces from the overflow...

2yulvky.jpg

Here are the three pieces. Textured side...

2vdpf1g.jpg

smooth side...

2nvfrzr.jpg

My plan was thwarted when I looked at the smooth side. Whatever was used to bond the pieces to each other either melted the plastic or degraded it at those points. These rough areas will be just as impossible to scrape algae as the textured side... and will look odd.

4i5w9.jpg

I'm checking with StevieT to see if he can smooth the rough areas, or laminate fresh plastic over one of the sides, that would make the pieces I already have completely viable. Otherwise, I'm checking to see if he can cut me 3 new pieces that duplicate the stock pieces.

Nice touch and the take off. Keep up the good work, i can't wait til you modified everything in the tank. all i need to do is copy cat you back. lol :P

Yes sir, that's my plans for now. Haha

also when you get everything all together, can you send me a price list of everythig you have bought so that I have an idea of funds estate to save up. :P

That's really sucked that current still uses textured walls on the over flow. Current Suck butt

Yes sir, that's my plans for now. Haha

also when you get everything all together, can you send me a price list of everythig you have bought so that I have an idea of funds estate to save up. :P

That's really sucked that current still uses textured walls on the over flow. Current Suck butt

I know. I would have the tank full of water right now if not for the textured plastic!

How is the noise on the tanks. I am very skeptical about noisy tanks just hoping it's not to loud with a sump in it. Is it louder then the Current Solana 34g? How quite do you think your tank is beside the Leds fans and MP units?

How is the noise on the tanks. I am very skeptical about noisy tanks just hoping it's not to loud with a sump in it. Is it louder then the Current Solana 34g? How quite do you think your tank is beside the Leds fans and MP units?

there's no water in it, so I have no idea how loud it is.

So Current uses ABS plastic for the overflow on this tank. It's textured on one side and smooth on the other. I noticed that the plastic was actually pressed against glass. I decided to remove the pieces of plastic and flip them around so the smooth side faced out. So I removed the pieces from the overflow...

2yulvky.jpg

Here are the three pieces. Textured side...

2vdpf1g.jpg

smooth side...

2nvfrzr.jpg

My plan was thwarted when I looked at the smooth side. Whatever was used to bond the pieces to each other either melted the plastic or degraded it at those points. These rough areas will be just as impossible to scrape algae as the textured side... and will look odd.

4i5w9.jpg

I'm checking with StevieT to see if he can smooth the rough areas, or laminate fresh plastic over one of the sides, that would make the pieces I already have completely viable. Otherwise, I'm checking to see if he can cut me 3 new pieces that duplicate the stock pieces.

Great job on the overflow!Very slick

Took some pics tonight. The scape is pretty much what it will be plus a jawfish house. I may rotate and move the scape to the right a little more.

I was wanting to have something minimalistic that would have really good flow. The scape is perfectly viewable from all 3 sides and corals can be applied all around the spires. As soon as I can figure out the overflow... I will fill it with wet water.

akba5e.jpg

rwrw9g.jpg

erigxw.jpg

egbhpd.jpg

and the jawfish house. It will be buried past the pvc with sand. I wanted to have a more natural looking opening this go around. I applied the rock pieces to the top to help prevent unsightly pvc from showing in case the sand gets blown away and exposes it.

289iib9.jpg

Took some pics tonight. The scape is pretty much what it will be plus a jawfish house. I may rotate and move the scape to the right a little more.

I was wanting to have something minimalistic that would have really good flow. The scape is perfectly viewable from all 3 sides and corals can be applied all around the spires. As soon as I can figure out the overflow... I will fill it with wet water.

and the jawfish house. It will be buried past the pvc with sand. I wanted to have a more natural looking opening this go around. I applied the rock pieces to the top to help prevent unsightly pvc from showing in case the sand gets blown away and exposes it.

289iib9.jpg

Looking good. I'm looking forward to see where you take this!

Archived