Top Shelf Aquatics

Project 60 Cube

tyty22

Ha thanks it my favorite i have had it since it was only a tiny frag. Now it has its own tiny frags everywhere. If anyone is local they are up for grabs.

BTW i like you avatar pic. Charlie Sheen is the man.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not exactly but i can tell you at 4.5ft of head pressure my quiet one 3000 can not keep up. i estimate around 600gph on the overflow and my pump only keeping up around 525-550gph of that.

Im watching ebay for a 4000 high head to replace it.

Did you replace the return? 525 is more than enough flow through the sump on a 60.

Did you replace the return? 525 is more than enough flow through the sump on a 60.

No i did not, my mentor convinced me it was not worth it and stick with what i have. He said maybe put it one the list of things to get someday. If i ever do replace it, i will when/if i add another tank to the system. (My friend has a neat extremely tall 20ish gallon tank i want to steal and maybe expirment with seahorses) But not for a while.

Looks nice!!!! I love the rock-scape!

Thanks! when i move the tank into my new room im going to rescape a litttle bit and tank a little bit of rock out and put it down in the fuge.

saltwatercoral

WOW, I have just purchased the same tank but its the 45gallon. I also got Marinelands stand as well. Can you post more pics of how you have your plumbing please? I am trying to see how to do my own and some pics would help greatly!!! This is my first venture into SW and I need all the help I can get. Thanks

PS: I also have Reef Octopus (DNW-110-6520B) How do you like yours?

I also have a Koralai 750gph Power Head. I just got 1 for my 45 cube. I see you have 2, do you thing I need 2?

WOW, I have just purchased the same tank but its the 45gallon. I also got Marinelands stand as well. Can you post more pics of how you have your plumbing please? I am trying to see how to do my own and some pics would help greatly!!! This is my first venture into SW and I need all the help I can get. Thanks

PS: I also have Reef Octopus (DNW-110-6520B) How do you like yours?

I also have a Koralai 750gph Power Head. I just got 1 for my 45 cube. I see you have 2, do you thing I need 2?

Ya sure i never put up many plumbing pictures i can take more if you want. These are from my dry fit

IMG_8732.jpg

IMG_8728.jpg

(the larger two valves on the 2X4 are the drains)

As for the Koralia's, i just turned the second one on today and turned the Nano off. So i haven't really had the both of them on long enough to tell you. But One deffinitely works well. I think you will be fine with one, you can always add another if need be.

Same with the Reef Octopus i haven't run it long enough to give you a good opinion.However, Its pulled out a good amount so far, still a little wet

So im having issues with my reef octopus 160 extreme skimmer. I turned it off yesterday and it when i restarted it was not producing NEARLY enough bubbles. I couldn't get it to produce enough to even form a nice column of bubbles in the neck with out spilling fresh saltwater into the cup. I took it all apart tonight and cleaned everthing.

When i just tested the sicce psk 2500 pump all on its own (no air tubing) it pushed tons of water, so it seems the pump is fine. When i tested the pump with the venturi and airtubing it produce EVEN less bubbles then ever!

i did a little online trouble shooting and tried one last time to mess with the impeller and upon testing i thought i had it fixed. It was producing lots of tiny fine bubbles like before. BUT when i put everthing back together i find myself back at square one...

I have no expirence with protein skimmers so my only diagnostics are:

1) the needle wheel needs to be replaced

2) the tank has nothing to filter out and form the bubbles i was getting before

Note this skimmer is used and also since starting the tank roughly 5 days ago it produced 1/4" of light brown skimmate.

anyhelp would be great

• 2 weeks later...
Ya sure i never put up many plumbing pictures i can take more if you want. These are from my dry fit

IMG_8732.jpg

IMG_8728.jpg

(the larger two valves on the 2X4 are the drains)

As for the Koralia's, i just turned the second one on today and turned the Nano off. So i haven't really had the both of them on long enough to tell you. But One deffinitely works well. I think you will be fine with one, you can always add another if need be.

Same with the Reef Octopus i haven't run it long enough to give you a good opinion.However, Its pulled out a good amount so far, still a little wet

More plumbing pictures if you have any time, that would be AWESOME! I'm a plumbing dummy, so even a parts list would help. Your setup is looking great, and I can only hope to replicate your success!

• 2 weeks later...

moved the tank to its new spot this week end. My Dad and i found out Heavy when Full means still Heavy when empty... we were happy we only had to push it ten feet.

IMG_9989.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Comments on the aquascape im not 100%

Im planning on adding a Kole Tang Soon along with some more snails.

More plumbing pictures if you have any time, that would be AWESOME! I'm a plumbing dummy, so even a parts list would help. Your setup is looking great, and I can only hope to replicate your success!

Ill take some more detailed plumbing pictures soon.

moved the tank to its new spot this week end. My Dad and i found out Heavy when Full means still Heavy when empty... we were happy we only had to push it ten feet.

IMG_9989.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Comments on the aquascape im not 100%

Im planning on adding a Kole Tang Soon along with some more snails.

Ill take some more detailed plumbing pictures soon.

No worries I got the plumbing done last weekend and tank is already up and running. Thanks!!

I sure will but i only took pictures for a couple minutes and im still trying to learn how to use my camera. I have a nice DSLR Canon Eos Rebel XS but im an amature at photography. When it comes to taking pictures of my tank i have a hard time getting the color to resemble the real thing.

Thanks! I just picked up a Kole Tang tonight. I was pleasantly surprised to find my mentor Mark had put one on Hold for me. Picutres soon

Some promised plumbing pictures.

Sump view

IMG_0322.jpg

Overview of the pvc layout. I tried to make it as neat and solid as possible by mounting everything on a 2x4 backing.

IMG_0315.jpg

the two larger valves are the drains coming from the tank. They split the flow between the fuge and sock/skimmer. its split with about 80% of the flow into the sock/skimmer and 20% to the fuge.

IMG_0305.jpg

the Left T drains into the filter sock (the top piece in the picture).

IMG_0313.jpg

The sump side drain, its not glued in but i haven't had any problems

IMG_0306.jpg

The return has a T back to the filter sock but it is closed. It will come in handy if i ever get a larger return pump. There is another Valve to adjust the return you can see in the other pictures.

IMG_0314.jpg

And some eye candy and the new Kole Tang :)

FTS from the couch

IMG_0303.jpg

Hammer

IMG_0030.jpg

New Frogspawn

IMG_0299.jpg

Kole Tang

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

He/she is building up his nerves a bit and prowling the tank for good algae to eat. The First two days he was extremely shy but he is getting much better. I have been heavily feeding mysis and flake food to make sure he is happy.

Any suggestions or tips on keeping Kole Tangs would be great.

IMG_0230.jpg

nice looking fish. i've always wanted a tang but never had the tank size to get one. now that i do, if you don't…. i think i might be in the market for a kole tang!

btw i have the same exact camera as you. i wish i knew how to take pics like some of the other people on this site. fill me in as you learn how to use it ;)

nice looking fish. i've always wanted a tang but never had the tank size to get one. now that i do, if you don't…. i think i might be in the market for a kole tang!

btw i have the same exact camera as you. i wish i knew how to take pics like some of the other people on this site. fill me in as you learn how to use it

Ha his name is Philippe and he loves his new tank. in all seriousness I did lots of research and i feel safe to say this tank is far sufficient enough for him. He is the smallest and one of the most peaceful tangs so 60gallons will be great for him. My mentor reassured all my research and so far hes eating great and swimming happy with his new friend.... So get your OWN!! :)

Ill let you know on the camer. have you had any luck with getting the cooler right when taking tank pictures mine are always to blue.

try setting up a custom white balance. just put something white in the tank, like a jar lid or something and take a pic of that. use that to set your custom wb. that should fix the "blueness"

• 7 months later...

Long needed update.

No more kole tang unfortunately unexpectedly lost him. Still don't know why. Now i have a potters angel. I did have a high fin cardinal until a day or ago, for about 1 week. Upon examining I'm convinced he was attacked by my aggressive clownfish. His back fin was nipped at. I had noticed a little fighting and i know my clown is an ass. But now its starting to piss me off. He Bites my hand and kills my other fish... sounds like someone may be getting a new home. Sump, pico tank, toilet if he keeps it up.

Pictures are more interesting

IMG_3321.jpg

IMG_3324.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3219.jpgIMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3274.jpg

IMG_3254.jpg

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

AND FTS

IMG_3292.jpg

I have not done anything to the tank equipment-wise. However, that being said i just ordered actinic led supplemental lighting strips :D they should be here soon.

• 2 months later...

Finally added some led actinic lighting in the form of two 12.5" stunner strippers, 453nm blue+magenta.

IMG_3430.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg

I would say these are pretty great for my application. There is a noticeable difference with my 175w halide on and they are absolutely amazing at dawn and dusk. They really make the colors of the coral pop and even show some hidden colors i have never seen before in some of my coral.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived