Innovative Marine Aquariums

Project 60 Cube

tyty22

Im going to community college for one probably two years. I'm hoping i can skip a year ahead with the credits ive accumulated in high school. Either way once i transfer to a semi local school probably suny ESF (1.5hrs away) Im planning on getting and apartment and bringing the tank with me for the two years im away. I'm absolutely against dorm living.

I think i mentioned i want to go for construction managment or possibly Architectural Engineering, which evers more hands on.

Thanks i thought it was clever, im hopeing it works well with the light on it. i have yet to test it with the actual pendant. I can't find a matching pair of tiny cari######(spelling?) spring clips. like the ones you would find on a laser pointer of a flash light. Seen any ??

Nice. Community College is how I've kept my tank this long. Perhaps I dedicated too much time to my fish tanks. This is my third year lol. I shoulda been done last fall. Oh well, gives me more time (and money) to dedicate to the tank.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This tank setup is friggen sexy. Looking forward to what it ends up looking like.

Thanks i can't wait to get some water in it!

Nice. Community College is how I've kept my tank this long. Perhaps I dedicated too much time to my fish tanks. This is my third year lol. I shoulda been done last fall. Oh well, gives me more time (and money) to dedicate to the tank.

Haha what are you studying?

Wow, I wish I had the ability to make a stand like that when I was a senior. Oh wait, I still wish I had that ability. Very good looking setup. Good luck with approval of your senior project. I remember mine was on video game addiction. I like your project better!

haha thanks its been approved now i just have to follow through with my plan of action.

This is deffinitely my favorite project for school, next to my research paper on FIght Club haha that was fun to analyze.

I posted a picture of the tank on my facebook and captioned it " my senior project" and one of my friends commented something along the lines of "easy project. i actually have to do work for mine." HAHAHA he has no idea...

quick tease

90% done dry fitting plumbing (waiting on paint and rubber-dip to dry)

95% done with light hanger ( just need to find two small spring clips)

85% done with sump (waiting on my filter socks from marinedepot to come so i can make holders)

IMG_8722.jpg

IMG_8746.jpg

please tell me what's this ? like a reels

please tell me what's this ? like a reels

haha its an old casting real, i had a couple laying around. you can find them cheap on ebay. Its mounted on a wooden "sleeve", box thing i made. the sleeve slides back and forth on an old tv wall mount. the reel has one 3ft piece of the 1/16" steel cable threaded through the hole in the centerl. when you reel it up each side winds up in opposite directions rising each side equally. the limited amount of cable makes it impossible to ever be reeled down into the water. it simple gets to its lowest point and reels back up.

• 2 weeks later...

So the tank and stand made it up two flights of stairs. However my brothers moving out so im moving into his room. Im gonna go ahead and set the tank up in my room anyway because its ready now. And i have to clean,mud, sand, paint and recarpet my new room. it will be three weeks or so but it won't be too hard to break down and move 15ft.

Plumping finished

IMG_9055.jpg

Light Hung

IMG_9059.jpg

IMG_9061.jpg

water fail safe

IMG_9042.jpg

dosing pumps hung

IMG_9048.jpg

IMG_9049.jpg

Very nice build!!

From the sounds of it your to young to know what that round vinyl thing is on the bottom of your stand let alone who Peter Frampton is. :lol:

good luck

gg

FILLING IT UP!!!!!!!

Very nice build!!

From the sounds of it your to young to know what that round vinyl thing is on the bottom of your stand let alone who Peter Frampton is. :lol:

good luck

gg

HAHA nooooooo. i have an entire crate full of my parents old records in my room, including a phono player. My buddy and I were into records a while back. We both listen to music from our parents generation. RUSH is my all time favorite which i have 5-6 vinyl albums, also some boston, led zeppelin, styx, who, REO speed wagon, kiss, aerosmith ... are in the mix

I always look at these tanks at my LFS all the time. very sharp looking. Love the fishing reel light too!

Thanks it caught my eye too!...and my wallet...obviously.

The Fishing reel idea i thought was pretty clever, i went with thinner steel cable. the 1/16 was extremely springy

this build is amazing!!! I'm really looking forward to seeing this one fill out

Thanks! I'm looking foward to it filling UP

almost halfway... however, i'm only going to fill it 3/4 of the way

IMG_9068.jpg

the foam i added to dampen sound a bit

IMG_9064.jpg

my new room mid-renovation, im almost done mudding so ill be ready to paint and recarpet soon.

IMG_9069.jpg

This is the spot where the tank is going, its only a coincidence theres a big walk in closet behind that wall ;) haha.

IMG_9071.jpg

i wish i knew i was moving rooms when i started this project my plans would have been a weee bit different with access to a big walk in closet, if you know what i mean.

• 2 weeks later...

Sand and Saltwater!

IMG_9356.jpg

Fiji Pink. Feels like sugar in your hand

IMG_9376.jpg

Anyone know how to fanagle with marineland overflows to make them quieter???

Hey man I saw your post on my 60g cube thread! I love the tank :D

Any advice with this tank that I should know about? And did you ever find out the estimated gph for the overflow?

Not exactly but i can tell you at 4.5ft of head pressure my quiet one 3000 can not keep up. i estimate around 600gph on the overflow and my pump only keeping up around 525-550gph of that.

Im watching ebay for a 4000 high head to replace it.

I built a durso drain for mine, which made it alot quieter, and it would probably help with your flow issue too since you can adjust the drain flow rate. There's a few pics in my tank thread and I could probably talk you through it. It's pretty simple.

actually i have got it down to a reasonabe noise level. I went to my lfs and talked to my mentor Mark and he pointed out how the rigid tubes in marineland overflows can be raised and lowered. So i tapped it down about a 1/4" and its a bit quieter now.

Oh and BTW i have an air line tube attached to the rigid tube. I wrapped it down around the pvc elbow with the end inside a sock. The air line tubing and the sock definitely do most of the work quieting it down.

That's good, glad you figured something out. That little tube was making a super annoying sucking noise on my tank too. I put airline tubing over it and tied it in a knot so it no longer makes any noise! ha ha ha... course I had to replace it with the durso standpipe, but that is much quieter.

ya i have my airline tubing in a sock. Im pretty satisfied with the noise level, just sounds like the beach.

BTW i added all my base rock thursday so its begining to look like a Reef Tank finally. As soon as i get some free time im going to transfer all my fish and coral over.

AND the moment we've been waiting for.......

IMG_9420.jpg

i know the aquascapes a little boring at the moment but i knew not to get to fancy with it because i don't want to fall in love with it and then have to take it down in three weeks when i move the tank 10ft into my new room. You can never recreate an aquascape, its the sad truth...

Archived