ReefCleaners.org

Project 60 Cube

tyty22

Busy busy busy school and searching for colleges is a pain...

So as planned this project is my proposed Senior Project, My Formal Proposal is due this week so once i submit it i have to wait for a YAY or NAY.

I tried to add a link to the xps document but i guess you can't do that.

I finished painting the inside of the stand. First Primer and then a bunch of layers of Perma-White mold&mildew proof interior paint.

100_6900.jpg

(The sides are just clamped on so i could visualize)

blueglasstiles.jpg

blackglasstiles.jpg

I'm thinking of using one of these for the viewable space on the top of the stand left and right of the tank.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im meeting with my mentor this sunday so the stand will be complete within a week.

also my Base Rock tank is starting to have diatom bloom

Also im looking at water flow options, and i need some help

Mp10 , research says it won't quite be enough, not risking it at the price

2-Koralias 750 kinda bulkly but good price

How about 2 tunze nanostream 6025's ????

So i met with my mentor Mark this weekend and we talked about my plans for the project and he really helped give me a better prespective on everything.

He told me about Ebonizing wood with vinegar and steel wool.

and after a bit of expirmenting i was real excited.

Basically the chemical reaction between the steel wool and vinegar reacts with the tannin in certain wood types.

I used oak in my experiment because Mark said it contained a good amount of tannin.

Heres some pictures of my experiment

first test (straight oak vinegar steel wood scrub)

IMG_7238.jpg

IMG_7272.jpg

1st coat

IMG_7234.jpg

2nd coat

IMG_7315.jpg

And some semi gloss polyurethane

IMG_7325.jpg

Second test

tea scrub (tea has lots of tannin)

teadip1.jpg

steal wool dissovled in vinegar(1day)

IMG_7411.jpg

first coat

firstappafteroneday.jpg

second coat

dryafter2ndapplication.jpg

semi gloss polyurethane

1stpolyurathaneapp.jpg

Also skined the frame

IMG_7338.jpg

rough color scheme

brownandblacktrim.jpg

Also skined the frame

I see your skin. :lol:

Pretty neat project, the only thing that I have that connects aquariums and school is my counselor, and my Marine bio class next semester.

Oh, and did I mention that is an awesome tank?!?!?!?!

great looking project but I am a MINI tech and I seen a rotary lift in there and what looks to be like an old Dodge. Lets see the Hot Rod!!!!

Glad to see people checking out my project.

I see your skin.

Pretty neat project, the only thing that I have that connects aquariums and school is my counselor, and my Marine bio class next semester.

Oh, and did I mention that is an awesome tank?!?!?!?!

Haha ????

ya i don't know anyone at school in the hobby unfortunately

great looking project but I am a MINI tech and I seen a rotary lift in there and what looks to be like an old Dodge. Lets see the Hot Rod!!!!

Ha ha yes I definitely live in a car family, Thats my dads '72 dodge demon. He recently picked up that rotary lift for free and decided to remodel his shop.

Everything looks top notch thus far! Great job!

Thanks!

I have made a bit of progress the past two days. i have cut and ebonized my oak trim pieces, decided on gunstock for the ply and measured out the door hindges. Just need to finish the doors and stain the rest.

• 4 weeks later...

Finsihed the stand finally...

IMG_7896.jpg

IMG_8366.jpg

IMG_8063.jpg

i found oak can have a lot of varations when ebonizing, you can tell which pieces came from the same piece of wood

IMG_7904.jpg

looked the best after ebonizing each piece twice, than one light coat of ebony black stain, and finsihed with 2 coats semi-gloss poly

IMG_8342.jpg

got 2 of these guys for christmas

IMG_7908.jpg

IMG_8433.jpg

put the doors together with dowels

IMG_8424.jpg

IMG_8049.jpg

IMG_8392.jpg

two coats of gunstock 2 coats of semi gloss poly

IMG_8370.jpg

IMG_8374.jpg

IMG_8410.jpg

little cut here

IMG_8501.jpg

some glue and staples there

IMG_8577.jpg

and WAHLA

IMG_8649.jpg

oh and a little mud and paint... WAHLA

bwoodward0012

Setups coming along nicely. Love the ebonizing, havent stained or painted the trim for my stand yet so i might have to give it a try.

That is one super sweet stand. Killer craftsmanship. I love it.

Thanks a lot! im glad to here that about my own work.

Setups coming along nicely. Love the ebonizing, havent stained or painted the trim for my stand yet so i might have to give it a try.

Yes try its pretty fun to try. do some quick google searches about it. I found my best method was

1.) hot tea dip/wash

wait 5 mins

2.) vinegar steel wool scrub (works best if you put the two in a dish for a couple days to react)

wait 10mins

3.) quick hot tea dip/wash, (mostly to clean of and steel wool shavings)

wait 24hrs or so

4.) repeat the process, (your second coat)

wait 24hrs or so again

Now your wood should be grayish purple, i found var

5.) ONE thin coat of ebony black stain (i applied it with a paper towel for a thin even coat)

see if the wood is dark enough for your likings, you can either continue or do one more ebony stain coating

6.) 2 coats of your choice of polyurathane (semi-gloss worked nice for me)(again i just applied it with paper towel, it gives you nice even thin coats and no clean up)

Great setup so far. That stand looks really nice, this is in the making for a GREAT tank. I like how you are taking things nice and slow.

Not exactly slow by choice, more or else my busy schedule. But you're right it has allowed me to think my plans over more before I execute them. And at the same time my mentor Mark has helped me make decisions and stop being indecisive.

Right now I'm mixing saltwater to empty out my 20l so I can build my sump!

i mades a sump and a lighting mount (with fishing reel)

Also bought lots of Plumbing parts

Pic's to come.... but more exciting is WATER SOON

quick tease

90% done dry fitting plumbing (waiting on paint and rubber-dip to dry)

95% done with light hanger ( just need to find two small spring clips)

85% done with sump (waiting on my filter socks from marinedepot to come so i can make holders)

IMG_8722.jpg

IMG_8746.jpg

exactly im going topless and i want things to be clean....

This made me lol :lol:

Also, you're doing a great job so far! What are you doing when you go away to school? I finish my third year of community college this year and when I leave next year to move to Richmond I have to teach my brother how to take care of my tank. Scary thought.........

Im going to community college for one probably two years. I'm hoping i can skip a year ahead with the credits ive accumulated in high school. Either way once i transfer to a semi local school probably suny ESF (1.5hrs away) Im planning on getting and apartment and bringing the tank with me for the two years im away. I'm absolutely against dorm living.

I think i mentioned i want to go for construction managment or possibly Architectural Engineering, which evers more hands on.

What. an. awesome. light raising rig +1

Thanks i thought it was clever, im hopeing it works well with the light on it. i have yet to test it with the actual pendant. I can't find a matching pair of tiny cari######(spelling?) spring clips. like the ones you would find on a laser pointer of a flash light. Seen any ??

Archived