Coral Vue Hydros

? on Purchasing Corals

DSparks

Extreme Newb Question . . .

I have about 15 pounds of LR in my 10 gallon. My question involves purchasing corals. Do corals come attached to a rock that I will have to work into the existing rock, or do I attach the coral by means of some sort of epoxy?

I guess it's probably species dependent. Looking forward to your answers. Thanks!

TheCurriculum

DS,

I've seen them come both ways. I personaly like one of my local LFS, when you get some shrooms or zoos they come on encrusted coraline rock, bright blue :) All of the other LFS that I have stopped by give the corals on the chunk of rock that they are currently on

Most LFS stuff comes with a bit of rock. Some of the shipped stuff does, some doesn't. Not much of an answer but that's what I've seen and what my friends with tanks have stated.

Some corals will come on rocks while others are separate... it depends on the coral. Mushrooms, xenia and zoos are usually on rocks while corals like open brains, sacrophytons and gorgonians do not. Not all corals need to be attached to a rock.

This is a pretty broad question. It totally depends on the type of coral and the mere chance of what it is connected to. Sometimes you can get a small coral on a nice rock that just fits right into your rock work. If you got some coral frags, depending on the type of coral, you can use glue, toothpicks, rubberbands, and a number of other ways to connect them.

Archived