Top Shelf Aquatics

alienz?!

pmemmer

OK, so the picture isn't so hot, but it's the best I can do... one close-up, one in context. It's an animal, not a plant... it hides a bit when you poke at it. But it doesn't hide particularly fast, and it comes right back out. Looks sort of like a venus flytrap... but it's not, I'm pretty sure :P

Any ideas?

Yeah, sort of looks like the side of a little clam to me. I've got a handful of them and was very confused by the first one I found because it was sideways like that. And my pictures were just as bad too... they don't like hanging out where they're easy to photograph.

It looked like a scallop to me, given the pattern of the tentacles... there are definitely two halves to it, like a scallop or clam, not a ring like an anemone. Thanks for the quick responses.

I'm really amazed at what's come in on this particular batch of rock... hidden cup coral, this critter, several chitons, a pretty neat tunicate, along with the more typical asterinas, snails, bristle worms, etc. Something new every week.

Deleted User 6
ACETEMINOPHORS!

I had thought these had been eradicated from the hobby!!!

+1 - I've heard reports that they had resurfaced. This really sucks.

Deleted User 6

Honestly I think it's too late for this one. Once they've metamorphosed (clearly seen in the pic), no one has ever found anything to stop them. I've seen it so many times in the past - never pretty. Do you still have Lisa's cell # at the CDC? PM it to me and I'll give her a call. She' going to want to know one has surfaced.

OP - DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT transfer any part of your tank to another tank. We can't have it spreading. Especially if it releases spores.

Not sure Lisa is still there. I think she retired to Costa Rica after it was thought they were eradicated. You got PM with the number I have, be ready though, remember what happened last time!

Deleted User 6

Thanks - calling now. I so hate these bastids.

Bad news Henry. I'm giving you a call - can't post this on a public forum. They're not happy - and they said they're mobilizing. Guy's name was MJ - freaked out when I told him. I couldn't get him to calm down.

OP, where are you located?

that sucks man, MJ huh, that guy was Mr. Gung Ho last time. Didn't care who or what got in his way can't say I blame him though. These things are bad news!

Yeah, what was that? Some kind of cheese cloth impregnated with something wasn't it?

Remember this story?

Quote from Discovery Channels Aceteminophor Week

Dolphins' protection

There are many stories that tell of dolphins protecting humans from aceteminophor attacks, with multiple eye-witness accounts from survivors dating from antiquity to present day (typically, dolphins form a ring around humans who are injured or endangered). This phenomenon was declared "plausible" by the team of Discovery Channel's Mythbusters, where it was shown that a aceteminophor will attack no creature when a dolphin is around. However, in spite of years of scientific study, there has been no conclusive explanation given for this behavior. In some cases, aceteminophor have been seen attacking, or trying to attack dolphins.

Deleted User 6

can't remember it's been so long - cheesecloth worked though as far as keeping the spores contained iirc. I PMd weetabix - she's the expert around here on these things.

Deleted User 6

yeah! that was a breakthrough. but when they're contained in private tanks, the larvae have no deterrent. i remember Lisa postulating that it was dolphins eventually that drove them to deep waters in the ocean. that's why they aren't found on reefs anymore. at least until now.

Militant Jurist
Thanks - calling now. I so hate these bastids.

Bad news Henry. I'm giving you a call - can't post this on a public forum. They're not happy - and they said they're mobilizing. Guy's name was MJ - freaked out when I told him. I couldn't get him to calm down.

OP, where are you located?

That was not what I wanted to hear. I thought I could rest easy and focus on eradicating libtardius spendicus, but it looks like my work with these bastages is not yet complete. I think this time we need to step things up to radiation dosing. Apparently the chemicals just don't get the job done. Killing them just isn't enough. They need to be killed, crushed, and then fried with a healthy dose of delta radiation.

that sucks man, MJ huh, that guy was Mr. Gung Ho last time. Didn't care who or what got in his way can't say I blame him though. These things are bad news!

These guys are in for it this time. We're going for beyond overkill this time.

yeah! that was a breakthrough. but when they're contained in private tanks, the larvae have no deterrent. i remember Lisa postulating that it was dolphins eventually that drove them to deep waters in the ocean. that's why they aren't found on reefs anymore. at least until now.

The dolphins were indeed largely responsible for the decline of these bastages. However, after the movie 2012 was released, the dolphins have begun preparing for that winter. Just recently, I saw a dolphin do a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double backward somersault through a hoop while whistling the star-spangled banner.

With the dolphins otherwise engaged, I'm afraid the Aceteminophor are back, and nastier than ever.

MJ, does this have anything to do with the indecision of the Obama admin on dealing with the Gulf oil spill? I seem to remember you theorizing on their affinity to crude oil at one time.

Militant Jurist
MJ, does this have anything to do with the indecision of the Obama admin on dealing with the Gulf oil spill? I seem to remember you theorizing on their affinity to crude oil at one time.

Indeed. I have long theorized that they have a massive hormonal reaction to crude. Just a small amount would cause them to go into a rapid breeding cycle, where they use any available resource to reproduce. Thankfully, the oil-eating variant had been limited to warmer waters, so the primary evidence of this was contained with the Bermuda Triangle. However, with the warmer currents pushing into the Gulf, timed up with the oil spill, I'm afraid that a breeding cycle like no other is beginning. I've already heard a few horror stories from the Caribbean, although Hurricane Earl did a bang up job of wiping a lot of them out before they could complete the reproduction cycle. If the OP's Aceteminophor hitched along from a recently harvested Caribbean coral, he could have a new strain with the oil induced breeding cycle. He need to be careful to not to put exposed skin into the tank, or even sweat near the tank, because even a tiny amount of oil could put them into overdrive.

Archived