Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lyle's 3 gallon Pico Build

lpsouth1978

Here are a couple of pics with the polyps extended. I agree that it is some sort of dendro or starburst. It kind of looks like the flesh used to be red but has receded a lot. Let me know what you think. I will also post this on an id thread.

post-29964-1286498826_thumb.jpgpost-29964-1286498839_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, feed these immediately, these are not photosynthetic.

I'll try to find a pic just like them that i saw in one of my searches..

could be Phyllangia americana, or a severely starved blasto merleti. I'm no expert, but clearly yours cant photosynthesize and it would be worth it to try and feed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a quick update on my latest LED build. I used a mix of XR-E cool white, XR-E royal blue, and XP-E royal blue LED's. This will be over my 3 gal pico build. It is all powered by dimmable buck pucks. I tseted it over my other pico last night and am VERY happy with the result. The pictures are not great and it is not completed, but it is close. Let me know what you think.

post-29964-1287436667_thumb.jpgpost-29964-1287436679_thumb.jpgpost-29964-1287436697_thumb.jpg

we want to see it over the tank with corals ;P

but it sure looks way better than just my heatsink resting on some insulation tubing on the lid on my pico :P

we want to see it over the tank with corals ;P

but it sure looks way better than just my heatsink resting on some insulation tubing on the lid on my pico :P

That day is coming. I still need to build my custom stand, and comlpete the plumbing. After that IT IS ON. Hopefully I will have it up and running in the next month.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE!!!

Finally got some time to put serious effort into getting this up and running. The stand is completed and goes to powder coating tomorrow. I have painted the light fixture and will be putting it back together tomorrow. I will also be taking the stand into a plastic company to have the plastic shroud made. I hope to have water in it by the end of the week. Wish me luch. Here are some pictures.

post-29964-1297137375_thumb.jpgpost-29964-1297137389_thumb.jpgpost-29964-1297137548_thumb.jpg

Funktastic Wint
UPDATE!!!

Finally got some time to put serious effort into getting this up and running. The stand is completed and goes to powder coating tomorrow. I have painted the light fixture and will be putting it back together tomorrow. I will also be taking the stand into a plastic company to have the plastic shroud made. I hope to have water in it by the end of the week. Wish me luch. Here are some pictures.

post-29964-1297137375_thumb.jpgpost-29964-1297137389_thumb.jpgpost-29964-1297137548_thumb.jpg

awesome stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

Another update!!! The tank is finally wet! I got the stand back from the powder coater today and brought it home to immediately set it up and water test it. I am VERY happy with the result. I did have to make some minor changes to the plumbing, but nothing difficult. The biggest changes were upgrading to a 1" PVC instead of 1/2" on the drain. I also switched to a 45 degree elbo instead of a 90 degree elbow on the drain. The plumbing seems to work quite nicely now. I don't have any issues with water slowly building up in the back overflow area and in times of a black out there is enough room in the sump to accomodate any back flow. Because of the high flow of the return pump I am using, I shouldn't need any additional water movement, even for those corals that require a lot of flow. I still need to have the plastic cover for the stand made, but won't be able to do that for a couple of weeks. In the mean time I am going to put my non-drilled pico on the stand and see how it looks. I will post pics of that later. Here are some pics of the water test. Let me know what you think.

post-29964-1298072235_thumb.jpg post-29964-1298072224_thumb.jpg post-29964-1298072247_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
lpsouth1978

Finally! There is water and sand in the tank. I got all of the plumbing squared away and all of the leaks are fixed. I still need to bend all of the plastic for the stand shroud and finish the DIY ATO. Hopefully that will be done by the end of the night tomorrow. I also hope to have live rock in it by tomorrow night. Here are a couple of pics. They are not very good, it is very difficult to get a good picture with the LED's. Hopefully I will be able to get some better pics later.

post-29964-1298954631_thumb.jpg post-29964-1298954641_thumb.jpg

lpsouth1978

Another Update!! Got live rock from the LFS today. Also put a few crabs and a damsel in to help with the cycle. I don't expect to get much of a cycle, other than the standard diatom bloom. I always get Florida live rock that is cured and kept in an establishe tank at the LFS. I dipped it as soon as I got home to rid it of any pests and found several crabs and worms that I did not want. I also found 2 decent sized brittle stars that I put back in the tank. I also completed the DIY ATO and installed it tonight. Everything is working great and things look happy. Here are a couple of new pics. Let me know what you think.

post-29964-1299032498_thumb.jpg post-29964-1299032508_thumb.jpg

bluetreader

Your setup looks absolutely amazing! I love the stand and the light that you made, I think that this is going to be a great looking tank and I will definitely be following it! If I read right, is your sump going to be covered up when you get the plastic shroud made? It looks really great though!

lpsouth1978
Your setup looks absolutely amazing! I love the stand and the light that you made, I think that this is going to be a great looking tank and I will definitely be following it! If I read right, is your sump going to be covered up when you get the plastic shroud made? It looks really great though!

Thanks! Yeah, the Sump will be covered up. I already have the ABS plastic, I just need to bend it all to shape and glue the pieces together. I will get more pictures up when it is done.

• 3 weeks later...
lpsouth1978

Update!

Everything is going GREAT with the pico. As I expected, the light is a little intense, but I love being able to dim it and change colors. I did rearange the rocks a little bit, but not a lot. So far I have added 12 dwarf hermits, a porcelain crab, two small acan colonies, a green birdsnest, and a small watermelon zoa colony.

I tried to upload some pics, but the system is not letting me. It keeps telling me that the 126kb file is too big. 126kb is a far cry from 2MB. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Builder Anthony

Ya no doubt your a welder.Great work and a stand made of metal is great in the long run.Maybe ill stop in some welding place and have them make me a custom stand.The light hood is great too.

• 2 months later...
lpsouth1978

Newest pics. These were taken with my Iphone and do not show the true colors. Everything looks more blue than it really is.

pico2.jpg

pico2.jpg

Pico.jpg

Pico.jpg

get this 20g out of the pico forums. just kidding its a jbj. very good use of space :) the cascading monti cap is killer

ps your diy skills are awesome. the fixture looks really slick

Dude I really love your tank! I like that monti cap! I want one so bad bro!

Hey how did you make that light fixture? Is that some stock housing or what did you use?

Hey how did you make that light fixture? Is that some stock housing or what did you use?

Scratch this. I see you made it, friggin amazing welding job and nicely ground finish man! What did you use for material? I'm interested as I'm a machinist and can weld good too so I'm trying to understand how you got that light all made!?!? I see some angle iron perhaps?

lpsouth1978

It is all aluminum. I cut the shape for the bottom of the fixture from a sheet of aluminum. Then I bent some 1-1/2" flat bar to the shape of the bottom and welded it together to make on piece. To finish it all I cut a hole in the back of it and welded a piece of square tube to the back. This allowed me to run all of the wires through the fixture's pole and hide it all from view.

I chose to spray paint the fixture , but wish that I has powder coated it like I did the stand.

Here are a couple of pics with the polyps extended. I agree that it is some sort of dendro or starburst. It kind of looks like the flesh used to be red but has receded a lot. Let me know what you think. I will also post this on an id thread.

post-29964-1286498826_thumb.jpgpost-29964-1286498839_thumb.jpg

Retards like you should not be allowed in shops with money in there pockets.. the coral you are staving to death is a Tubastrea sp, non photosynthetic that one looks like it wont make it back.. you need to try and feed EVERY individual coralite..

Archived