Top Shelf Aquatics

Keydivers 29 biocube

keydiver

Funktastic Wint
so for some reason, nanoreef isn't letting me upload pictures, it says i have 20 mb loaded before I have even loaded a pic, so I took a vid and put it on youtube. It's iphone quality, but better than nothing.

enjoy!

lookin good!

wish i could go diving in florida. :(

oh well

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lookin good!

wish i could go diving in florida. :(

oh well

Yes, it's a blessing. It makes you understand the reef ecosystem a lot better than just looking at it on a small scale, but I try to take stuff that there is an abundance of in the area as well as stuff that is absolutely ensured survival in my tank, so that undue stress isn't put of the ecosystem.

I took a BETTER video, but it's still not too great. Hopefully I can borrow my buds camera soon and get a good video

Enjoy and tell me what you think!

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, it's a blessing. It makes you understand the reef ecosystem a lot better than just looking at it on a small scale, but I try to take stuff that there is an abundance of in the area as well as stuff that is absolutely ensured survival in my tank, so that undue stress isn't put of the ecosystem.

absolute survival huh. hows that shaving brush doin for ya? lol dont see that nor the halimeda in your tank anymore. I bought a few fresh pieces of keys maricultured live rock and got all three of those plus what i find to be the nicest strain of coraline(carribean). I use to dive down there in my late teens every year for spring break. All the cool kids go to daytona beach but the fish nerds go to the keys. Miss doing it. I got a tattoo in key largo everytime I went the say before we left. My worst memory was getting stuck in traffic just south of miami in the drivers seat with a sunroof that was stuck open. I got 2nd degree burns on my forehead! I dont miss looking like a lobster with sun bleached hair...man i miss it.

absolute survival huh. hows that shaving brush doin for ya? lol dont see that nor the halimeda in your tank anymore. I bought a few fresh pieces of keys maricultured live rock and got all three of those plus what i find to be the nicest strain of coraline(carribean). I use to dive down there in my late teens every year for spring break. All the cool kids go to daytona beach but the fish nerds go to the keys. Miss doing it. I got a tattoo in key largo everytime I went the say before we left. My worst memory was getting stuck in traffic just south of miami in the drivers seat with a sunroof that was stuck open. I got 2nd degree burns on my forehead! I dont miss looking like a lobster with sun bleached hair...man i miss it.

Both of those are actually in my macro tank, the halmeida's growing nice. I love it in the keys, although i've never been diving in daytona.

You must have quite a few tattoos.

• 4 weeks later...
Lee Van Reef

Nice looking tank!

I love how alot of your livestock is wild caught, the only things i have wild caught are a few hermits and snail :D

I think it's time for an update. I went to a new fish store last Wednesday, and they had some awesome stuff, so I grabbed a very healthy looking midas blenny for 20 bucks, and an ocellaris misbar for 12 bucks, he's missing a middle stripe on one side and I thought he looked pretty cool.

What store is this? I'm always looking for new places besides strictly fish and exotic aquariums.

Nice looking tank!

I love how alot of your livestock is wild caught, the only things i have wild caught are a few hermits and snail :D

What store is this? I'm always looking for new places besides strictly fish and exotic aquariums.

Thanks man! It's changed a lot I really need to do an update.

I got the midas and ocellaris at Reef tech on south dixie, the dude there is really cool. You should check that one and House of Fins out, they're right across the street from each other.

IMO, exotic aquariums has a really good selection, I was there yesterday and grabbed a nice deresa clam for $25.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update. I got a deresa clam when I saw it at the LFS for $25 bucks, I just couldn't resist. My sps have been showing great growth, and all the fish are doing well. I even saw the sexy shrimp that I thought had been eaten months ago :D

seriatopora

post-55106-1302735242_thumb.jpg

post-55106-1302735433_thumb.jpg

what do u use for clam calcium and supplement wise?

PLEASE CHECK OUT AND COMMENT ON MY THREAD, I GET NO VIEWS ):

I do a weekly water change, and since I don;t have too many demands as far as calcium (because I don;t have TOO many sps yet), the calcium levels supplied by the WC are sufficient to keep it at the correct levels

• 2 weeks later...

So, I think I might be adding a skimmer, or making some changes within the near future ,because I have what I think to be a dino outbreak, and I guess I don't have enough nutrient export, even with my massive macro tank. The dino's aren't really affecting the tank too much, I just want to catch it while it's early, and they start growing on sps. The only thing being affected is my ribbon gorg. I have tried peroxide dosing for the past 4 days, and i'm really skeptical about it.

So, I think I want to add a skimmer. Since my system is set up so that there is really no place for an in-sump, aI was looking at the HoB skimmers like the remora's and octopuses. My system is 50g total volume excluding displacement. What do you think I should do?

I could also get a phosban reactor, but i'm not sure how effective that would be.

Any advice would be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
Reef Goddess

That birdsnest looks really pretty! I have to keep mine on the edges of my tanks because the lights are so strong.

That birdsnest looks really pretty! I have to keep mine on the edges of my tanks because the lights are so strong.

Thanks Morgan, the green slimer and red digi that I got months back are growing really nice too. They just recently starting putting out a bunch of new branches.

lol, 400w of mh right? That's nuts

• 4 weeks later...

The skimmer has eliminated the dino's! I think....If they come back I'm going to get a phosban reactor. I still see them appear one day after I feed more than usual, so we'll just have to wait and see.

All the corals are doing good and growing quickly. The abli smilaer has 5-6 new branches, and the purple and pink monti are really starting to plate now.

Also, I got a pair of green spotted mandarins today, hopefully they have an appetite for flatworms. I have enough to make them really fat and happy. If they don;t eat the flatworms, I will try to pellet train them like my previous one.

where do you buy your stuff and what part of miami do you live in? ( you dont have to answer the second question) lol

Im in cutler bay. I buy my stuff from a few different places. Mainly I buy fish from either exotic aquariums or house of fins, and I get all my corals from Morgan in Coral Gables. I usually just get my equipment online or on the forums because it saves money....the LFS here bump their prices like crazy

tell me about it i like strictly fish (best prices) and house of fins exotic aquriums is to over priced for me who is this morgan you speak of like the tank i'm getting one for my gf soon i wanna upgrade the lighting on one of these things but keep the canopy aswell anyways love your tank keep up the good work

tell me about it i like strictly fish (best prices) and house of fins exotic aquriums is to over priced for me who is this morgan you speak of like the tank i'm getting one for my gf soon i wanna upgrade the lighting on one of these things but keep the canopy aswell anyways love your tank keep up the good work

Thanks man, Yeah House of fins is pretty overpriced, but that's where I got my sweet green spot mandarin pair, just bought them because they were nice and healthy, and the weren't selling the pair for anymore than the individuals would be.

Morgan Mok is the owner of reefgardener.net, a well known coral retailer in the reefing community. She has AWESOME sps and clams/nems/rics. She's the best to go to for corals, and the prices are great.

I'd recommend buying the lighting online, the LFS will try to sell you crappy fixtures, so do some research and find out what kind of lighting models are the best bang for your buck.

but i want the original canopy iam thinking of getting that nanotuners upgrade kit but only time will tell and iam check it out reefgardeners see what the fuss is about hey onday we can trade corals or something that xenia lokks pretty big is it the pulsating one

but i want the original canopy iam thinking of getting that nanotuners upgrade kit but only time will tell and iam check it out reefgardeners see what the fuss is about hey onday we can trade corals or something that xenia lokks pretty big is it the pulsating one

Yep it's the pulsating. My current FTS doesn't even show it. The whole section in between the rock islands is completely filled with xenia, and it's growing up my back wall too.

The nano-tuners upgrade has gotten great reviews, so I'd say it's a good buy, but I've never tried it myself.

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a long overdue update. All my sps have been growing great, as well as my LPS and softies. MY small patch of xenia has bloomed into an arsenal of waving hands, completely covering the whole middle of the tank. I can get them off easily but I like the look, it makes my tank look very grown out.

New additions are as follows:

skunk cleaner shrimp

5 sexy shrimp

spiny oyster

spotted mandarin goby

yellow bottlebrush acro

scolymia wellsi

Here are some pics. Had to upload to photobucket because it was too much memory for NR.

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/k...nt=DSC_0484.jpg

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/k...nt=DSC_0496.jpg

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/k...nt=DSC_0501.jpg

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/k...nt=DSC_0502.jpg

My sps aren't really that white, I was trying to get the exposure right and made it too bright.

Archived