Cultivated Reef

UWWMatt's 25G CADlight

uwwmatt

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In March 2008 my LFS gave me this for free. They said it was dead so I could just use it for the skeleton. Lucky for me they were wrong.

Before

dsc02557qr6.jpg

After

IMG_08072.jpg

This is my favorite tank on the entire site! I'm going to design mine after this. Such a beautiful tank, and great photography. I hope mine turns out nearly as good.

NEAR DISASTER RKL failure :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

The temperature probe on my RKL failed and basically shut my whole system down. All of a sudden it started reading temps in the high 90's which kicked in my last resort safety measure shutting of all the lighting and return pump. Then the probe died and just starting flashing an error message. Thank god I was sitting right across the tank when this happened and I got the pumps going again.

I ran over to a friends house to borrow a digital thermometer and luckily my tank is still reading 78 degrees, but now I have to rely on the crappy built in thermometer function on my heater to keep my tank stable while I try and figure out how to fix my RKL.

I would hate to think of the losses my tank would have sustained had this happened when I wasn't home.

Still working on figuring out this RKL problem. I updated the firmware and man is that a pain.

Here are the details incase anyone is trying to figure it out.

If you have an older model then you need to mail in your little updater usb stick (SID) to Digital Aquatics. Then they mail you back an updated one.

You then have to sign up for their forums, access the thread about the My Reef 2.0 software and download the install file (you can only see the install file if you are logged into their forums.

Once you install the software you can then take your SID2 (the USB looking thing with a phone jack glued to it, has to be the new version) and hook it to your computer while My Reef is running. Use the little female to female phone jack adaptor to plug the RKL and the SID2 cords together.

Once the MY Reef software recognizes RKL you will have an option to hit the "Update" button. Then it opens another screen where you hit the "program" button. You can then update the PC4 and any other modules in the same fashion.

When you have completed your updates you need to hook everything back up and do a factory reset on your RKL system. On the head unit you navigate to the correct menu and select "factory reset"

SID update instructions

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/downloads/SID2.pdf

Firmware update instruction (must be logged in to their forum):

http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewt...f=34&t=6271

MyReef 2.0 download

http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewt...f=88&t=7885

Beautiful pictures! Maybe I will ask for a new camera lens for my birthday :P

Is that a toadstool leather on the right side of your tank? I read on a few sites that they can release a toxin that can harm LPS, SPS, and some soft corals. I guess you don't have a problem with that?

Beautiful pictures! Maybe I will ask for a new camera lens for my birthday :P

Is that a toadstool leather on the right side of your tank? I read on a few sites that they can release a toxin that can harm LPS, SPS, and some soft corals. I guess you don't have a problem with that?

Almost all corals release toxins when stressed. Leathers will shed their "skin" sometimes and that can be irritating to SPS, but I only have a few SPS frags of the heartier variety and run carbon and a skimmer so my risk is limited. The only real time where I would be worried is if I wanted to frag a leather. I would remove it from the tank completely and frag it in a quarantine tank. Otherwise I have had a mixed tank for over 3 years without any issues related to toadstools (or any other leather) and LPS or SPS.

I happened to be walking by my tank after dinner and here right in the front of the tank my cleaner was molting. I have never actually witnessed it happening live. It was crazy. He just arched his back and broke through the old shell. Then he start pulling and pushing until he got his tail out. I ran to my camera and snapped a few pictures that turned out sort of blurry. It literally was less then 1 minute from start to finish.

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

I received my replacement temperature probe for my RKL. I have to say there shipping is a joke. They charged me $12 shipping for a padded envelope and standard shipping.

I plugged it in and did a factory reset of my RKL and it told me my temperature was -118F :rant:

I calibrated it again and figured out for some reason it was set to negative 77. I changed it to positive and things seem to be working now. I am going to wait to reprogram all the functions again because I want to be sure this probe is not going to fail.

Still having electrical issues -_-

I have made a diagram to help myself, and the electrician I am working with to help diagnose the problem.

Untitled-1.jpg

I think I got one of the mildly retarded clowns. He loves diving halfway into the frogspawn and just hanging like that with his tail out.

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

The cardinal, though much larger, is a huge chicken.

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

Archived