Top Shelf Aquatics

Thinner + Longer = Better? Obviously...

Justind823

Haha if I spent the money on nice wood paneling I would have stained it but...I'm cheap.

Oh well, bed time now. I have an interview in the morning :scarry::happydance:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RedLeader.jpg

Almost there...

There's water in the top tank! Water and live rock! Wooooooooooo

The biggest hold up is making water...one tank at a time.

Well, I read the title and am coming into this a little late, but:

Thinner+Longer, does NOT = Better.

Wide+Shallow=Better, for reef tanks. This you will learn in time.

Yes, my 30gal sucks cause its long and thin. I knew it going in, but screwed up anyways.

JMHO, YMMV.

Well, I read the title and am coming into this a little late, but:

Thinner+Longer, does NOT = Better.

Wide+Shallow=Better, for reef tanks. This you will learn in time.

Yes, my 30gal sucks cause its long and thin. I knew it going in, but screwed up anyways.

JMHO, YMMV.

Well, I've gotten fed up with every tank I have ever set up so you are probably right in a sense. We'll see how it goes.

So far, I think the dimensions on this tank are awesome but I am a little worried about coral placement and room. I'll post my feelings about when it comes to it.

Got a link to your 30gallon? I'd like to see it.

jumping in here... this is a really cool set up can not wait until it gets going!!!

Thanks! I'll post some pictures of water when I have time.

good deal i can not wait! i have considered doing a multiple tank system and have yet to see many of them set up so i am very eager to learn from your experience then decide what i would like to do LOL

i don't want to rain on your parade, but theres nothing supporting the middle level except nails....

You'd be suprised how much weight decking screws can hold. I think I threw a few more in there after the picture was taken plus I have the plywood on the side. If I was worried about it I could always put a few hurricane clips in there. There really isn't all that much weight to support.

The weather is clear at my parade.

Sorry, I do not have pics of my 30 posted anywhere. I will try and dig one up and post it here.

The problem with thin tanks is that you can't make the rockscape very tall. There just isn't enough room. For normal size tanks, 18" front to back dimension is what I would consider minimum. 12" just doesn't cut it. Yes I have made it work, but it sucks. I would like to try a 24" next. Maybe like a 36 x 24 x 16. That would be a good dimension, IMO. I am following along with you now. I will be interested to see your thoughts after you rockscape and get water running. Good luck, I will look for a pic tonight. Mark

Okay here we go! Pretty much everything in here is temporary until I get switch the equipment over from the old tank. (Mp10, heater, lighting, etc.) There is still only water in the top tank and will stay that way until I can get all the water ready, probably by the end of the week.

Left side:

IMG_0128.jpg

Right Side:

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

Looks great Justin

Thanks bud

awesome scape from both sides!

It still needs a little work but thats the basic idea. Thanks though!

its about ####ing time.

to set-up a picotope...

Archived