ReefCleaners.org

0.6 Gallon Pico

beardslycrew

beardslycrew

I had an air pump lying around, so i decided to get going on my my first pico. My goal is to grow mostly zoanthids, but if the tank gets going well I will change my mind. I'm trying to keep this tank as simple and inexpensive as possible.

The gear

-0.6 gallon cylinder from walmart

-air pump

-1.7 pounds of live rock

-1 pound of sand

The gear needed

-light( looking for suggestions on a cheap light)

-glass cover

-mini heater (for the distant future)

Questions

1. I'm Thinking about buying a jbj pico, and using the pc light. Will i be able to get much growth with a 9watt 50/50 bulb?(tanks 8in. tall)

2. As far as oxygen goes I read that i need to attach an air stone to the end of my air line tubing? Wont this take away flow and cover my tank in bubbles.

Pictures........................................................................

P8270027.jpg

P8270028.jpg

I'm planning on removing the small rock to free up some room for growth and cleaning.

Any help will be appreciated.

this will be a awesome tank but those rocks are to big just looks like a block (sorry for being so honest) take a hammer and a big scru driver and break the rock into smaller pieces it will make it look bigger and better flow and more room for corals. this will be a good light cheap but good 10w light

Mr. Microscope

I'd try to figure out some other means of filtration and flow. I think airstones can mess with pH. Also, you'll need to do large frequent water changes to keep it going. That being done, the system will be very low nutrient. Growth of corals will be minimal, especially with low lighting. This system could be very cool, but I think you jumped the gun on starting it up and getting live rock. I'd invest in more equipment and lighting before beginning a system as small as this (or any system for that matter). Good luck! I hope it works out.

BTW, welcome to the Nano-reef community and congratulations on starting your tank thread! This is a great resource to all things reef. You'll find the people are nice and almost anything you need to learn with the search.

Nice start! But if you want to keep this pico succesfully its going to need a few adjustments..

I wouldnt recommend an airstone. Better to try and find a little HOB that you can run off it. For lighting one of the coralife 50/50s would work - I would go one up from the 9w.

But if you're prepared to buy a JBJ picotope - why don't you just use that as your setup? Its a pretty kewl little pico...

beardslycrew

I jumped the gun on this pico, so i decided to take it down. Once I get some money I will invest in a jbj pico w/ cree leds. Thanks for the responses anyway.

Archived