Cultivated Reef

Acrylic goodies... Picotope lids

glazer

thadscottmoore

Got a card in the mail yesterday to go pick up a package at post-office! I was first in line this morning!

All I can say- that is some freaking awesome craftsmanship! and nicely packaged!!!

Figured I would post some photos of the new arrivals being installed on the empty tank! oh, and I also did a small mod too- installed the float switch to the lid just in front of the skimmer tube (space is limited in these little things...) and I did fusion the overflow box to match the blue background (always done black background- figured I would try something new).

0916111011a.jpg

0916111011.jpg

0916111013.jpg

0916111017.jpg

0916111200.jpg

0916111159.jpg

now to add some ingredients like sand, salt water, and live rock to begin a pico reef tank!

Nice set up thadscottmoore. I see you had to do some trimming to that aquaclear to get the surface skimmer to fit? I'm looking to put a surface skimmer on an ac110. I was wondering where my waterline would run at with this. I don't want it to be below the black trim of my aquarium.

thadscottmoore
Nice set up thadscottmoore. I see you had to do some trimming to that aquaclear to get the surface skimmer to fit? I'm looking to put a surface skimmer on an ac110. I was wondering where my waterline would run at with this. I don't want it to be below the black trim of my aquarium.

Well, I set the top edge of the skimmer box all the way to the top of the rim of the tank. lacking room, I ended up mounting a miniature float switch to the new Lid- incognito next to the protein skimmer tube. my water level is running mid range to the top of the box- leaving me about 1/2"-3/4" (haven't measured for official water level height.) water line from the edge of the tank.

Looks great Thad! (if I do say so myself.... ;) ) Be looking forward to seeing some more pics with the other ingredients, sand, water, you know.

If you get a chance, post or shoot me a pic of how you did your float switch.

Steve

thadscottmoore
Looks great Thad! (if I do say so myself.... ;) ) Be looking forward to seeing some more pics with the other ingredients, sand, water, you know.

If you get a chance, post or shoot me a pic of how you did your float switch.

Steve

0917111213.jpg

0917111213a.jpg

0917111215a.jpg

thadscottmoore

yeah, I plan on modding it to be snail proof in the very near future

OH.. okay, I didn't see that you had drilled the lid for it. Pretty cool... watch out for those snails my man! :)

Steve

ok, I just added a photo of my snail proof float switch! :D

0920111239b_01.jpg

Edited by thadscottmoore

awesome! i loved your light fixture, and now i think i want to order a lid for my new tank, maybe a skimmer box as well. Im curious though, is that skimmer made by you too? or is that a hole in the lid specifically for a certain type/model of skimmer?

one last thing. usps ships to Canada for a fair price, have you shipped to Canada before?

karisma... yes, the protein skimmer is one of the ones I make. They normally are mounted to the tank using their own bracket. To keep the lid as much a lid as possible instead of basically cutting the whole back few inches of it off I gave Thad the option of incorporating it into the lid. He liked the idea and decided to go that route. One consideration on this set up... anytime you remove the lid you take the P. skimmer with it, Thad didn't think it would be an issue. With the way he is set up though, aquascaped to leave that back corner open, feeding door on the lid, ATO system in place, I doubt he will be taking that lid on and off much at all. The P. skimmer tube was also shortened to a length of 9" instead of the standard 11" to keep everything more in scale in both appearances and function.

Have not shipped to Canada yet... have had inquiries but since I haven't I don't know what the rate increase is over standard USPS Priority mail pricing. Can't imagine it would be that much of a difference.

Good job on the snail guard Thad! I assume the area at the bottom that looks a little different is the lid to the tube/bottle you used, and has holes in it since I don't see any elsewhere?

Steve

thadscottmoore

Glazer,

actually, I drilled a total of 9 flow through holes into it (one being in the bottom lid). I had considered to flip it the other way around- and thought to myself, what if a snail somehow managed to knock the tube off the lid. 4 holes towards the top of the tube, and 4 holes below the float and then one hole into the lid of the tube on the bottom.

Edited by thadscottmoore
Glazer,

actually, I drilled a total of 9 flow through holes into it (one being in the bottom lid). I had considered to flip it the other way around- and thought to myself, what if a snail somehow managed to knock the tube off the lid. 4 holes towards the top of the tube, and 4 holes below the float and then one hole into the lid of the tube on the bottom.

Is that an epoxy putty sleeve you used? I recently cut one down and used it for my ATO, they work great.

thadscottmoore
Is that an epoxy putty sleeve you used? I recently cut one down and used it for my ATO, they work great.

that is exactly what that is! I have been thinking about cutting it down too. just want to make sure it looks like a clean cut!

Nice work MR. Glaze. After over 5 years of operation and a recent unknown disaster that wiped out half of my livestock I decided to break down my bc29 and start from the ground up. I'm going to be sumping it and was wondering if you'd be interested in building the box for the sump. I have enough acrylic laying around to the do the baffles but no pieces large enough to do the box plus I don't have any black. So what I'm looking for is a box measuring 16x16x16 with 3 sides and the bottom being black and the front clear. Let me know if this is something you would like to do. Thanks.

Well thanks uh, Mr. pilot ;)

Aw man... as much as I hate to turn anybody down, especially when it comes to custom stuff I am just not in the sump business anymore. I have had so many people ask me about them and I indeed would put them together but I have had the most horrible luck you can imagine when it comes to shipping. Since about this time last year I have sent out 7 sumps and believe it or not, 4 of them ended up getting damaged. One twice... as in the replacement got ruined as well. It's just nothing more than the animals around here handling packages. Anybody that has ordered anything from me can attest to how carefully I pack things up.

It's not even going... it's coming as well. I ordered a 25 gallon cube from Marine Depot... showed up with one whole side cracked. Had a change of heart when they went to send me a replacement.. I ordered the 33 gallon this time. Never even took that one off the truck... the freight driver knocked on the door and wanted to know if I wanted to come "look at what happened".

The other problem I had was trying to be competitive with some of the companies out there that already do custom sumps... I guess I don't have the advantage as they of getting some kind of discount for ordering a whole chit-load of acrylic at once. Priced out some of the requests I got and there were some manufacturers out there selling similar sized set ups for as much or less even than what I could get the materials for... have no idea how they make any money.

Sorry for getting so long winded.... just kind of a sad situation all around, can't make any money at it and ended up losing what I did. Now... if you happen to live anywhere in the Chicago area and feel like picking one up... shoot me some plans/drawings of what you're looking for!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

damn! i wish i saw this earlier. i JUST (yesterday) had a glass shop make a glass lid for my biocube 29 which cost me $29 (3 piece).

quick question, any problems with warping? a few years back my buddy and i made some acrylic tops for his aquariums and over time they started to warp and sag. i dont remember what thickness we used though.

thadscottmoore
damn! i wish i saw this earlier. i JUST (yesterday) had a glass shop make a glass lid for my biocube 29 which cost me $29 (3 piece).

quick question, any problems with warping? a few years back my buddy and i made some acrylic tops for his aquariums and over time they started to warp and sag. i dont remember what thickness we used though.

My tank is only 3 gallons. no issues with warping though.

• Recommended Discussions