Coral Vue Hydros

Acrylic goodies... Picotope lids

glazer

from my experience...

I have acrylic pieces cut for me for my planted tanks. They seem to warp, unless you make them thick.

So I made some out of glass. Nothing complicated, just square shaped.

Doesn't having the covers sitting on top of your tanks, collect condensation? and start dripping over the sides?

So my covers are recessed, I have 4 tabs holding up the glass. Okay, I bought an ADA and it came with tabs, and I had an glass cut for it.

Glass is easy to clean, more scratch resistant, clearer but brakes and chips.

But yours look Great. Professional job. Nice work.

Edited by turok
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow... what the..!? I'm not even subscribed to my own thread?? Sorry everyone, not ignoring you, just didn't realize posts were being made...lol

I get questions about lids all the time and the skinny on that is unless your tank is a regular square or rectangle I don't have templates for them and you would have to supply me with one. I do have the template for the picotopes so that is not a problem. Once you start talking about larger tanks I would encourage all of you to get a quote on a glass lid first. Acrylic is crazy nuts expensive in relation to glass and on some of these larger tanks I wouldn't consider doing them with anything thinner than 3/8" acrylic. Yes, they can bow and sag if not thick enough. Even the little picotope lids can have some sagging with the quarter inch stuff. Mine has a slight bow to it but then again I have my lights sitting right on top of it. The other "bonus" for me anyway is that slight bow causes all the condensation to head towards the center so there's no weeping or salt creep around the top rim.

Overflow boxes... can make you anything you want. Two-sided, three-sided, center overflows, boxes to glue in or solid backed so you can "bolt" them on with the bulkheads. Pretty much anything you can think of.

While I have the podium.... I just don't deal with tanks and sumps anymore. Shipping has been a complete and total nightmare for me on these things and it's just not worth the frustration. I'm also "small time", like hobby dude with a nice basement shop. I don't get the "boatload" discount on acrylic and I also live in Chicago... apparently I have to pay a premium for that privilege. Now if you're local as in you could pick something up then yeah, we can talk about what you need. Just shoot me an email, it's in my sig.

Lastly, if you've got some kind of custom doo dad in mind by all means hit me up. Love brainstorming things but mostly I like being able to provide items tailored to our hobby that are just not commonly available, or that work better than what you can get. I am making stuff all the time, some of it kind of like, awesome...LOL Unfortunately, a lot of these items get a big thumbs up from the "customer" but I never see any postings with them set up and in use. There's a link to my photobucket account in my sig... I am udating this all the time with new pics. So if you're wondering about something have a look, maybe I did it or can based on what you might see.

Steve

Hey steve, I actually need a surface skimmer for a fluvial edge that I converted to rimless. I have an aqua clear 20 doing my filtration. Could you come up with a small surface skimmer for this tank? Pm me the price and I'll make sure to pay you promptly.

Mitch, PM'd ya..

And for gearhead, and anyone else for that matter, a little refresher on the lids. I make these up all the time. They're made up each time I get an order for one as that lets me do any custom cuts or anything that anyone wants. The lids come in two flavors, plain and the one with the hinged feeding door. The standard cut out on both lids is a slot centered across the back edge that is approx. 8.5" by 1.5". This will accommodate an AC70 or similar sized HOB filter.

Since the lids are made to each order I can do this cut out any way you need, bigger, smaller, off centered and so on. The lids are 30 for the plain, 35 for the ones with doors. Those prices include the shipping if you're in the lower 48. Paypal is the way to go... just hit me at that when ever you want to "order up". Addy for that is in my sig, you can't miss it!...lol Thanks!

Steve

Just wanted to let you guys know glazer makes a great product! fast well packaged shipping.. cant go wrong with his work my tank looks great with its new lid! Thank you very much Mr. Glazer! :D

thadscottmoore

ditto what gearhead said! glazer to amazing work and packs it with determination to make sure it makes a very happy customer on the other end!

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

Matt... messaged you back.

Nip... the tube(s) on the skimmer have and outside diameter of one and three quarters of an inch. I do have some smaller stuff on hand if there is some space restrictions. Even came up with a way to stuff one in the back end of a Spec...lol

Steve

Alright, y'all can quit bugging rbaby.... :)

Vortech shields... Purpose, so you can mount your MP10 just under the surface of the water without having it sucking in air on higher flow settings.

How does it mount... slips on over the edge of the glass and has two small set screws to clamp it in place.

Does it work.... everyone tells me yes, quite well.

Will this fit on my tank with a plastic rim... No, don't have a system for that yet and probably won't? If your tank has a plastic rim then more than likely it's deep enough to slide the pump further down so you're not sucking air. That's what I did.

How much... 30 bucks shipped Priority mail with tracking in the US. If you're somewhere else, let me know and we'll get it figured out. (Apparently it takes about a month for one to show up in Denmark. We're still waiting to see)

P1010521.jpg

v20inuse.jpg

(picture courtesy of rbaby)

Steve

Steve - I have one of your skimmers in my Manta 12 from PicoAquariums (back when he offered it as an option...), and I love it. I just have to say of all of your work, this latest idea is another example of your fantastic work. It is simple, but ingenious all the same...it just amazes me what others (like yourself of course, and there are several others that come to mind...) can come up with!

In fact, I might have to hit you up for another skimmer as I am thinking of upgrading the standard 5g tank in my office to a rimless, either a Mr. Aqua 11.4g or a ADA Mini-L 8.6g - either way, I do not want to go rimless and then add something to take away from the look, but your skimmer would be just the ticket...please PM me a price when you get the chance, and thanks!

BigTankLittleTank

Do you have any overflows worked up for an Excoxotic EcoPico? I would like something similar to a MAME-DESIGN style, but with out the massive price!

Red Sea Reefer

Steve, have you done any work with BioCube's? I would like a cover for a BC14. Rough dimensions are 15x15 with a bow front. I am planning an overhead refugium for my BC29 and will use a BC14. I want to keep chocolate chip stars in it so I have a food supply for harlequin's. Hence the need for a cover to keep the stars in. marineandreef.com sells the BC 14 tank only for $70 so I need to come up with some type of lid. I could DIY it but it would be an eye soar on a nice looking set up. If you are interested in this project let me know and we can talk specifics and specs. Thanks for your time.

Do you have any overflows worked up for an Excoxotic EcoPico? I would like something similar to a MAME-DESIGN style, but with out the massive price!

Well, I can do overflow boxes in pretty much any size or configuration you can think of. Mame style overflow, nope, not that. I can bend and shape solid acrylics but don't have the tools/equipment needed to pull off bends in tubing. Unless everything was just mitered corners but that would be a major pain plus look really, uh.. messed up, lol.

Hey...is there anyway that you could make a replacement Remora Skimmer collection cup? I broke mine and looking for multiple options

Hmmm, yeah... could but I see you can just buy replacement cups at most of the online vendors for 30 bucks or less. Before I even looked for one on line I was thinking in my head.. hmm, 40, 45 bucks as a price on me building one. Man, I just can't compete with China!...lol

Steve, have you done any work with BioCube's? I would like a cover for a BC14. Rough dimensions are 15x15 with a bow front.

I haven't... people ask me all the time but as I tell all of them, definitely willing to make a lid for one or any of them, just need a template. They all run away and hide... nobody wants to trace apparently. Whattya gonna do...

Messaged you again! hope we can meet up this week

Messaged you back Matt....

speaking of biocubes Mr. Red Sea, here is a man that is not running and hiding. Course we, if I recall we are talking about a 29 gallon cube. My first template provider though!!!! Oh wait, I think he is bringing me the original hood and I have to make the template... LOL

Steve

Edited by glazer
Red Sea Reefer

What are your plans for the BC29? I want to take the hood of mine for LED lighting. Keep us informed of your biocube projects. There would be a large market on here for them.

I have never made a templet. Dosent sound hard but if I'm off just a bit here or there I would be out $$$$. Let me talk to one of my friends that is handy with that type of stuff. If I can get you an accurate template I will.

Red Sea Reefer
Im bringing my stock bc29 lid to make a template from for him!

What are your plans if you don't mind me asking? Hinged lid on the rim of the BC29? Are you going to do anything to reduce water condensation on the top of the lid? Im interested to here how this turns out.

What are your plans if you don't mind me asking? Hinged lid on the rim of the BC29? Are you going to do anything to reduce water condensation on the top of the lid? Im interested to here how this turns out.

Feeding door for sure and maybe drill a few holes. Not 100% on anything yet, gonna meet up with Steve and figure it out. Right now I'm just using a piece of glass and marineland reef capable fixture on top of that (which is fs) and when the lite is on the condensation clears up.

• Recommended Discussions