inTank Media Baskets

LED Aesthetics: What do you really think of your color?

Machupicchu

DIY from china?

My LEDs are cheap too. I dont feel ripped off or like I have to lie about how my tank looks.

I can honestly say that after a ton of research I found these DIY led set ups to be the most cost effective.

The shimmer is great and my colors pop.

But you are right about LEDs getting better and cheaper every day.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys I posted this in the LED groupbuy forum but I thought I might ask for a little guidance here as well

How does this set up look?

6758207925_35ee3486f4.jpg

Im planning on 3 separate channels--NW,CW--R,Tq--TV,TV,RB,RB,RB

would it be okay to have NW,CW,R,Tq all on one channel?

Is that the entire array or just one cluster? What size tank / heat sink?

Is that the entire array or just one cluster? What size tank / heat sink?

That would be the entire array. They would be tightly mounted on the bottom of an actively cooled computer heatsink a la:

portable-round-cooler-heatsink-cpu-cooling-fan-black-and-white-22464n.jpg

the display would actually be sub-gallon -- talk about overkill lol. I want 'perfect' color but Im all ears to less ridiculous ideas. I just though using that many LEDs would allow me to perfectly dial in the color I want

I would rather go overkill than halfass

I hate my current RB:CW setup on my edge--I just want to make sure Im getting the best color possible from a new LED build

skulls_and_sparrows

i have read through this entire thread and while it has really enlightened me, im still lost in what i should choose, lol.

im looking for supplementation only. my tank is 24x24x26(tall), lights are 13" off waters surface and i am currently running 2 orapheks pr-25 uv's and two 21w 15-20k led bulbs (not sure of the brand, but they are all blue-ish, tey seem to be pretty good for a grow type light, but does wash out the tank a bit).

the tank is only housing acans and a ric/yuma garden. so my goal is to go make every possible color pop out, i have no idea what leds to use, how many, what optics and then how to put it together.

hoping people couod shed some light and help me out.

Hey guys I posted this in the LED groupbuy forum but I thought I might ask for a little guidance here as well

How does this set up look?

6758207925_35ee3486f4.jpg

Im planning on 3 separate channels--NW,CW--R,Tq--TV,TV,RB,RB,RB

would it be okay to have NW,CW,R,Tq all on one channel?

Make sure you look at the max drive currents. For example Cree NW has a max of 1.5A where the red will have a max of 700 ma. They can be on the same string but will be limited by the smallest max current in the string. This will workOK but you are giving up some of the light output and efficiency of the higher current parts.

Mark

I currently have my 40b setup similar to sammy's and bensanders; 22 RB, 2B, 12 NW in clusters of 3. I am looking to add 3 more clusters of 1 DR, 1TV, and 1 TQ. Would a TV in the DR/TQ cluster look ok, or would it produce some odd color(s)? I plan on driving the DR/TV/TQ clusters at 700mA, dimmable.

That would be the entire array. They would be tightly mounted on the bottom of an actively cooled computer heatsink a la:

portable-round-cooler-heatsink-cpu-cooling-fan-black-and-white-22464n.jpg

the display would actually be sub-gallon -- talk about overkill lol. I want 'perfect' color but Im all ears to less ridiculous ideas. I just though using that many LEDs would allow me to perfectly dial in the color I want

I would rather go overkill than halfass

I hate my current RB:CW setup on my edge--I just want to make sure Im getting the best color possible from a new LED build

Heh, at less then a gallon all you would need is the 3up in the middle.

I could really use some help. Background: I currently have 10 Par38 lamps that I purchased from Nanotuners, 6 are the 3-RB, 2-CW mix and the others are 2-RB and 3-CW. I was thinking of using 6 of the 3-RB/2-CW and supplementing with a DIY led build. My tank is 48 x 24. I thinking of adding the following:

6-XP-G NW, 8-XP-E RB, 6-XP-E BL, 4-Red, and 8 Violet.

I want to limit this to 3 drivers if possible. I am thinking of using the Inventronics 40W or the Meanwell ELN 60-48 drivers. I also think I will use the BJB connectors.

The distance to the water level is about 20" and to the sand is another 18".

Questions:

Suggestions on the mix of leds?

What drivers? PWM or not?

What optics?

At this point I may just use POTs until I decide on a controller. I have a RKL but even if I add an ALC module I think it will only control 2 drivers.

I know this is a lot to consider but any help will be appreciated.

John

For my build, im going with the reef angel controller. It comes with 2pwm and if you add the pwm module you can controll 6 more. So 8 total channels :)

hi its been a while i haven't been on this site and I've been hearing good reviews on ledgroupbuy.com exotic leds. Currently what I have set up is 12NW and 12RB and I was wondering if its possible in my current led build to swap out some leds and put in deep red, Turquoise, and true violet in there. See below of a layout and tell me if its good enough. Also I'll be needing another driver to power up 6 leds which one would you recommend..

Thanks

LEDlayout142512.jpg

In all its glory! CW,NW,DR are in a series. I found this to be the best way to run them without a million drivers. The Blue, Royal blues are also in series together. This combo looks incredible and is by far the easiest thing to wire. The modules can also be ran in a parallel with each other for monster builds. Using a Burquest Gap Pad instead of messy thermal grease/epoxy or thermal tape. This stuff is extremely easy to use and also can be pulled off easily if needed. The overall size is 2.9"x1.5".

6738433607_a176f1ba3a.jpg

Enjoy!

-Dave

I commissioned Dave to do a custom retro for my BC29.

Today, Dave e-mailed me with a photo of my hood with his new 13up board. Needless to say I'm stoked and excited to get this baby on my tank!!

nanoboxbcretro.jpg

Today, Dave e-mailed me with a photo of my hood with his new 13up board. Needless to say I'm stoked and excited to get this baby on my tank!!

I can't wait to see what corals look like under these boards!

In all its glory! CW,NW,DR are in a series. I found this to be the best way to run them without a million drivers. The Blue, Royal blues are also in series together. This combo looks incredible and is by far the easiest thing to wire. The modules can also be ran in a parallel with each other for monster builds. Using a Burquest Gap Pad instead of messy thermal grease/epoxy or thermal tape. This stuff is extremely easy to use and also can be pulled off easily if needed. The overall size is 2.9"x1.5".

6738433607_a176f1ba3a.jpg

Enjoy!

-Dave

A question Dave: When you put the NW, CW, DR in series on the same driver aren't you limiting the drive current vs the whites. For example Cree whites have a max drive of 1500mA while the deep reds I have seen are max 700 mA.

Just curious,

Mark

You do. The DR has a max of 700mA but you can run it a bit higher if needed. I really find NO need to run LED's over 700mA. Never have, never will. Every LED build I have done has always been under 700mA.

The ES line has a 1A limit. When running a CREE over 1A it also maxes it out to 5w.

-Dave

Has anyone considered combining the 440nm royal blue Rebel ES offered by Steve's Leds with 465nm cree royal blues XP-Es (D5 bin currently available at Cutter) + neutral whites. This would offer a large amount of coverage over the whole blue and near purple spectrums hitting both chlorophyll A and B peaks in the blue spectrum and should give a great actinic look to the royal blue portion that we are missing.

The 440nm rebel ESs offer output equivalent to the best cree royal blues and have a large output from 430nm to 450nm. They probably have enough output all the way down to 420nm to exclude the need for the weak 420nm leds currently available. The 465nm Cree XP-E's will have good coverage between 455nm and 475nm and should cover the upper end of the royal blue/blue spectrum nicely. I am curently planning a refresh of my 3yr old led build with these leds (overall 2rb : 1nw ratio/ 2 440nm to 1 465nm rb ratio)

Any thoughts?

What is the difference between cree deep red 660nm and exotic 660nm? I see builds using the exotic reds and was just wondering why. I plan on using the cree deep red LEDs on my ATS though and just want to see if they're any differences

I keep changing my layout, and delaying making the purchase of the LEDs. My tank is a 34gallon RSM130 about 18inches deep. The LED's will be mounted in the hood so they will be very close to the water surface (approx. 2inches)

my lates idea will incorporate 3 arrays of lights. The total amount of LEDs will be as follows:

18 - RB (Cree XTE) - Channel 1 dimmable

6 - CW (XML or XPG) - Channel 2 dimmable

6 - NW (XML or XPG) - Channel 2 dimmable

6 - CB (not sure of maker but 470nm) - channel 3 dimmable

6 - TV (not sure of the maker but 420nm) - channel 4 dimmable

3 - DR (not sure of the maker but 660nm) - channel 5 dimmable

Each of the three arrays will look like the following:

post-64799-1328048529_thumb.jpg

So my questions are as follows:

1. Is the ratio of RB to CW and NW look ok?

2. How about the ratio of CW to NW?

3. To many LEDs knowing that they will all be dimmable and many of them are for asthetics only and I assume will be dialed way down??

4. Will heat be an issue mounting them in such tight array? will be mounting to a heat sink

5. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

I keep changing my layout, and delaying making the purchase of the LEDs. My tank is a 34gallon RSM130 about 18inches deep. The LED's will be mounted in the hood so they will be very close to the water surface (approx. 2inches)

my lates idea will incorporate 3 arrays of lights. The total amount of LEDs will be as follows:

Each of the three arrays will look like the following:

So my questions are as follows:

1. Is the ratio of RB to CW and NW look ok?

2. How about the ratio of CW to NW?

3. To many LEDs knowing that they will all be dimmable and many of them are for asthetics only and I assume will be dialed way down??

4. Will heat be an issue mounting them in such tight array? will be mounting to a heat sink

5. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

45 LEDs over a 34g seems fairly excessive to me. I have 44 LEDs over 1/2 of my 120g which is 24" deep and I still have them dialed back to about 75%.

instead of the 470mm people have been advocating the 495mm. put directly next to a red in a 1:1 ratio

...but that's just opinion obviously and R&D on LED aesthetics is something that's going to be constantly changing for a while

instead of the 470mm people have been advocating the 495mm. put directly next to a red in a 1:1 ratio

...but that's just opinion obviously and R&D on LED aesthetics is something that's going to be constantly changing for a while

I'd take a single royal blue out to try the 495 LED (right next to the DR) and cut the number of arrays down to 2 instead of three. It'll be more than enough.

I'd take a single royal blue out to try the 495 LED (right next to the DR) and cut the number of arrays down to 2 instead of three. It'll be more than enough.

I wouldnt cut a RB for a 495. Those arent analogous. Id cut the 470

I wouldnt cut a RB for a 495. Those arent analogous. Id cut the 470

I wasn't suggesting they were. I think the CB still has uses and that his tank won't suffer from a lack of pop because of swapping a RB for a Tuq. Anyway, either way it'll work.

Archived