ReefCleaners.org

LED Aesthetics: What do you really think of your color?

Machupicchu

I have brought a 36 diy dimmable from Aquastyles and wanting to know what everyone thinks of this design? are the too far apart? will I get a spotlight effect? or will the colours mix well? also should I use the 60 degree optics that come with the kit or use none? the dimensions for the heatsink are 7.1"X0.9"X11.9" with a total of 18 LEDs. 8 x RB, 8 x CW(10,000K), and 2 x True Violet. They are 1.3" apart width ways and 2.3" apart length ways. The blue dots = RB, green dots = CW and red dots = true violet.

The sure fire way to get optimal color blending and no spotlighting is to go optic-less and have the emitters as close to the surface of the water as possible. You could use the 60 degree lenses but you would have to lift the fixture off the water a ways.

As for your spacing, that is precisely optimal.

I have seen some very interesting growth pattern differences since adding the 660 to my tank. Corals seem to think they are in shallow water and I am now getting rapid growth sideways.

That's amazing. More info/pics? Imagine 1 month 660's on, 1 month 660's off, to make giant branching SPS.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely not saying you're wrong Dave (big dog) fason, but i was reading an article from ecotech (i believe, not 100 yet) saying the reason they didn't use deep red 660nm (cree) was because after testing the fixtures they noticed the algae was growing substantially more. So they chose a red orange instead. And I know the research being done at algaescrubbers.net with these same 660nm deep red LEDs has been phenomenal (I'm no expert though, check post by santamonica, Ace25, Floyd r turbo). So there is a shift going on now from cfl to LEDs in scrubbers. Anyway this is all I was trying to explain. Once I find the article I can link it, if anybody cares(about ecotech).

The sure fire way to get optimal color blending and no spotlighting is to go optic-less and have the emitters as close to the surface of the water as possible. You could use the 60 degree lenses but you would have to lift the fixture off the water a ways.

As for your spacing, that is precisely optimal.

Thanks for that

Has anyone tried the True Violets from Aquastyles? does anyone have an idea on the ratio for them?

Definitely not saying you're wrong Dave (big dog) fason, but i was reading an article from ecotech (i believe, not 100 yet) saying the reason they didn't use deep red 660nm (cree) was because after testing the fixtures they noticed the algae was growing substantially more. So they chose a red orange instead. And I know the research being done at algaescrubbers.net with these same 660nm deep red LEDs has been phenomenal (I'm no expert though, check post by santamonica, Ace25, Floyd r turbo). So there is a shift going on now from cfl to LEDs in scrubbers. Anyway this is all I was trying to explain. Once I find the article I can link it, if anybody cares(about ecotech).

I'm still trying to wrap my head around LEDs and everything about them... But...

OSRAM website describes the red LEDs this way-

LH CPDP

OSLON SSL 150, hyper red (644 - 666 nm)

Features

Package: SMD ceramic package with silicon resin with lens

Radiant Power: 332 mW at 400 mA and up to 746 mW at 1000 mA

Feature of the device: small size high-flux LED for slim designs

centroid wavelength: 656 nm

Color: hyper red

That's pretty damn close to the 660nm, no?

Am I looking at the right specs?

edit-

Oh and CREE's reds are 620-630nm

My company has LEDs custom manufactured to specific color temps

As I've sated many times before, color temp or CCT has *nothing* to do with reefing along with chromacity binning and never has. You can have two white LEDs with wildy differing spectra and yet they'll be rated at the same CCT. An LED with an initial blue of 457nm is going to look entirely different than an LED that starts at 448 (Rebel) while both may end up in a similiar chomacity bin.

For that matter, I can have two LED's with identical color temps and if the CRI is 15 points apart they will look *nothing* alike. So, if you're just using color temp as your metric you are seriously missing the point of color standards.

Also, Cree and the other high end Western companies are the only ones who follow any type of structure with this method. The Chinese just dump whatever they can sell for whatever price they can get away with,

We might as well be rating LED's according to how much they weight rather than color temp. However, you do know *kinda* what to expect if you order a 4500k XP-G with a CRI of 80.

A 10k cool white LED is no different than a 6000k cool white except the former lacks as much secondary phosphor and was typically a reject bin. So, it's marketed towards reefers who don't know any better and buy into the marketing lie that the LED was specifically made for reefing when it was just a uber_crappy cool white to begin with.

Anyone have suggestions for LED combinations for planted tank/display fuges? I was thinking of mixing something like TV:CW:NW:WW:DR 2:8:8:4:2

At the moment I have a 10000k BoostLED PAR30 and a few off the shelf PAR30's from Home Depot... I can't remember the kelvin rating on those when I picked them up- but feel like they might be closer to warm white. Either color and anything between would look just fine to me.

It's not quite THIS obvious where the 10000k lamp is in person... (old pic, wasn't very familiar with shooting LEDs)

016.jpg

I may order two of those cheapo 12x3W aquastyle LED kits. For $160 delivered, and the fact that this isn't for my main dispay (lights will be hidden in cabinet) I'm pretty tempted.

So back to Aesthetics... Can anyone summarize the latest? Is TV obsolete with the additon of 660nm with Royal Blue? Cool blue still beneficial? Ratio of CW to NW still about 50/50? Thanks.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
So back to Aesthetics... Can anyone summarize the latest? Is TV obsolete with the additon of 660nm with Royal Blue? Cool blue still beneficial? Ratio of CW to NW still about 50/50? Thanks.

Aesthetically, customers are telling me their 420nm (TV) make a big impact even on by themselves (and i agree). The actinic look they provide cant be beat.

the 660nm are great.

Cool Blue (470-480) is going to bring out colors that CW/RB combo just doesn't bring out.

CW is 50/50 with RB

NW is 34/66 with RB

Turquiose (495nm) mixed with 660nm and the RB creates a white light a still brings out the colors Cool Blue will but without struggling not to windex the tank or make it too red.

Those our experiences, others will have their opinions.

I'll have my new 13Up boards in two weeks. 1.5"x2.9" rectangle with 1 DR, 2 Blue, 5 RB, 2, NW, 3 CW. Say goodbye to color blending and soldering.

-Dave

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
I'll have my new 13Up boards in two weeks. 1.5"x2.9" rectangle with 1 DR, 2 Blue, 5 RB, 2, NW, 2 CW. Say goodbye to color blending and soldering.

-Dave

So is the 13th LED a magical one?

I'll have my new 13Up boards in two weeks. 1.5"x2.9" rectangle with 1 DR, 2 Blue, 5 RB, 2, NW, 2 CW. Say goodbye to color blending and soldering.

-Dave

Will the boards themselves be available on nano box? If so do you have a ball mark price?

I don't know what the accepted mix is, but the fixture I'm working on now is going to have the following ratios:

2 CW : 2 NW : 1 Blue : 4 Royal Blue : 1 660 Red : 2 420 Violet

Three sets of that, mounted close to the water with no optics, all independently dimmable with buckpucks. 6 pots to dial in whatever color I want... yes, I have money to burn.

I'll have my new 13Up boards in two weeks. 1.5"x2.9" rectangle with 1 DR, 2 Blue, 5 RB, 2, NW, 3 CW. Say goodbye to color blending and soldering.

-Dave

Has it been 2 weeks yet? Lol

I was just floored by how uber radical rndmconflict is and how much $ he has to burn. However, looking forward to Daves photos as well.

Archived