ReefCleaners.org

LED Aesthetics: What do you really think of your color?

Machupicchu

Anybody??

Hi Chris,

I see you are running your XP-E RB's off a LPC-60-1050. Won't this overdrive them and they should be on a 700? I could be wrong...

This thread has been awesome btw :)

I currently have 1:1 CW:RB and the colour to me looks good.

Everyone here is recommending 1:2 NW:RB - is this because they are using the newer XP-G CW that are brighter than say my XR-E CW's? To me 1:2 sounds very blue, so I am confused...?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It takes that much blue to over come the lower spectrum of the NW, that is why people go for the 2:1 ratio. I really recommend the NW, the color difference is quite stunning.

It takes that much blue to over come the lower spectrum of the NW, that is why people go for the 2:1 ratio. I really recommend the NW, the color difference is quite stunning.

Thanks, so it's really related to the NW spectrum, whereas CW you can go closer to 1:1? Is the growth just as good on sps with less white leds?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Chris,

I see you are running your XP-E RB's off a LPC-60-1050. Won't this overdrive them and they should be on a 700? I could be wrong...

This thread has been awesome btw :)

I currently have 1:1 CW:RB and the colour to me looks good.

Everyone here is recommending 1:2 NW:RB - is this because they are using the newer XP-G CW that are brighter than say my XR-E CW's? To me 1:2 sounds very blue, so I am confused...?

Royals are rated for 1000mv overdriving them 50mv wont hurt them as long as heat is controlled.

blasterman
Is the growth just as good on sps with less white leds?

Provided the total energy of your fixture (wattage) is the same the PAR is pretty similiar.

Wow! I have web reading this thread all day! I'm completely disgusted with the color of my LEDs after seeing some of the proper looking color rendering and I reall want to ask for your opinions on my setup.

Tank is a 24 wide by 24 deep by 18 inch front to back.

Currently I have a 16 inch long fixture with a 50/50 ratio of 20 XR-E LEDs 10CW and 10 RB

I want to add another fixture to my setup with the other spectrums and id like your opinions on what I should get here.

I was thinking a 1.1 inch by 18 inch heatsink to run 10 more LEDs. Should I go with say 5 warm white 2 violet and 3 normal blues?

Maybe two heatsinks on either side of my existing fixture I could do to make a good balance of proper color.

What combination do you guys reccomend to add to my existing 20 LEDs?

I could replace some existing of the 20 with another spectrum of xr-e LEDs if needed and add to as well.

So I'm thinking from 30 LEDs

10 royal blue

2 blue

16 Neutral white

2 cyan or violet. ( this is where I'm unshure)

I'd think a 5row x6led grid could work for me . Opinions?

Wrong way.

18 RB

10 NW

2 Blue

-Dave

So I'm thinking from 30 LEDs

10 royal blue

2 blue

16 Neutral white

2 cyan or violet. ( this is where I'm unshure)

I'd think a 5row x6led grid could work for me . Opinions?

Wrong way.

18 RB

10 NW

2 Blue

-Dave

Ok so for the best color this is best? Alot of people add like 1 violet to bring out additional colors? Or cyan even?

If this combination is the best then thus is what I will go with. Keep in mind the tank is 24 wide by 24 deep by 18.

I'm going to be purchasing some LED's tonight for my new build - RSM 130

Which should I go with?

12 XP-G Neutral White / 24 XP-E Royal Blue

2x LPC-700 for the RB and 1x LPC-1050 for the Neutral White

8 XP-G Neutral White / 16 XP-E Royal Blue

Same Drivers as Above

12 XP-E Cool White / 12 XP-E Royal Blue

2x Inventronics 40w Dimmable Driver

And should I group the LED's in threes? or evenly space them over the 20"x5.375" Heatsink?

I'm going to be purchasing some LED's tonight for my new build - RSM 130

Which should I go with?

12 XP-G Neutral White / 24 XP-E Royal Blue

2x LPC-700 for the RB and 1x LPC-1050 for the Neutral White

8 XP-G Neutral White / 16 XP-E Royal Blue

Same Drivers as Above

12 XP-E Cool White / 12 XP-E Royal Blue

2x Inventronics 40w Dimmable Driver

And should I group the LED's in threes? or evenly space them over the 20"x5.375" Heatsink?

I would probably go the 1st option but with dimmable drivers

What are the effects on coral color with these LED combinations?

Are the differences like choosing a 10K vs a 20K MH bulb?

Meaning 20K bulbs usually bring out a much brighter/vivid color combinations in comparison to a 10K bulb, what kind of effects do you get using a CW vs a NW LED?

Going from cool white to neutral white brings out more reds, oranges, pinks, and purples. The overall effect on coral growth is minimal, as you are typically using more blue LEDs (pure PAR) to compensate for the warmer tones.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone compared the Cree XM-L NW to the XP-G in real world application? Glancing at the datasheet, it looks like the XM-L NW has a much wider (and more intense) plateau in the green-orange color range than the XP-G NW, and a blue peak that's shifted slightly to the right. In contrast, the XM-L CW looks like it throws off about the same spectrum as the XP-G CW, but maybe the blue peak has shifted a little to the left.

Has anyone tried the XM-L's who can comment on the visual quality of the light versus their XP-G equivalents?

nanoocean15

hello all. just read the entire thread, a lot of useful information.

i am ready to build led for a 20h tank. i was thinking 18 led might be enough to keep sps and a clam. I had planned a 1:1 rb to nw but i see towards the end of the thread most were leaning towards 2:1 rb:nw. should i keep the 1:1 ratio since they are going to be dimmed separately? also the maximum height available between water line and fixture is going to be about four inches. i dont think optics are needed but is it going to be enough light on the bottom with out them?, shud i be worried about spot lighting effect?

anyy help would be appreciated.. thanks.

You can go 1:1 if you like. It makes it a little easier to lay out the array, but 2:1 isn't hard, and with everything full on, gets you closer to a 14K color temperature.

nanoocean15

thanks evil greatly appreciate your reply

then ill simply just go with 1:1 to keep things simple. how about 9 rb and 9 nw or should i go with 7 rb 2 cb and 9 nw. will i have any trouble with the light being about 4 inches to the water.

1:1 might look a bit yellow and pink, whereas 2:1 would be closer to 14k.

If you went with a couple blue, you might have to run them without optics so you get the spread for coloring purposes. 4" about the water might cause some spotlighting with optics, but you could get away with no optics at all. I have no optics on my 30" deep tank.

firebirdude

For what it's worth, i'll put in my two cents.

My setup is linked in my sig and you can see how long I've had it set up like this (~1 1/2years).

The color I see daily from the lights for my viewing pleasure is fine. I have variable drivers, so I can mix the blue and white as I see fit. This is plenty of adjustability for me to tune to my liking. I usually keep the knobs all about the same, so close to 50/50 mix. Sometimes a little heavier on the blue. I've also tested using different intensities. As high as about 75% and as low as 25% for weeks at a time throughout the 1 1/2 years I've had it.

But the reason I'm posting here today is to talk about my coral colors. They're weak. Both SPS and LPS. I buy a frag from a friend and add it to my tank. The color slowly fades over time. It still has color, don't get me wrong, but it's more pale than it should be. I thought maybe the LEDs were too strong and the coral was bleaching, so I'd run the LEDs at 1/4 power for a couple months. Zero help. It takes a couple months to slowly fade out and, for that reason, is hard to notice for anyone looking at the tank everyday. But when I return to my friend's house and see the mother colony again, it's like night and day. His purple cap is deep and healthy colored. I return home and see my just medium colored purple cap. My green slimmer is between yellow and white colored after more than a year under the LEDs. Several other examples. And I've seen this against other friends I've bought frags from through my local forum. I buy. 3 months later I return to buy something else and am blown away from the look of the coral I bought previously. So it's not that my one friend has a healthier tank/better lights/uses better supplements/etc. I also keep up on my water changes and overall maintenance. It's not something I'm doing wrong or that they're all doing right.

NOW THEN. I just took the leap into removing the entire hood and hanging a 250W MH from my ceiling. It has a 14k DE bulb. It's only been a week, but my softies seem to be LOVING IT. My trumpet corals are full, plump and finally forming into the classic trumpet shape I've seen so many times. All my zoas are wide open the entire day and look great. All 4 of my mushroom leather corals have their polyps fully extended all day long, when previously they would extend and retract all day long.

So. I know everyone is raving about their LEDs. Maybe it's just because I'm using the older model LEDs. But I have to go off of my experiences. I'll never use LEDs again until I watch a tank with all LEDs flourish for a year+.

Hey guys,

I have a LED fixture with20 LED's, a ratio of 1:1 RB to CW running full power at 850 mA. They are powered by two Meanwell ELN 60-48D.

I would like to add some more colors, as I am not quite satisfied with the colors now.

So I've read some of this thread and just got more confused. Which colors would you guys add to my fixture? I was planning on maybe 3 violets and 2 reds, but what about cyan? Which colors would you add and how many?

The tank is 24"x12"x12" mixed reef.

For what it's worth, i'll put in my two cents.

My setup is linked in my sig and you can see how long I've had it set up like this (~1 1/2years).

The color I see daily from the lights for my viewing pleasure is fine. I have variable drivers, so I can mix the blue and white as I see fit. This is plenty of adjustability for me to tune to my liking. I usually keep the knobs all about the same, so close to 50/50 mix. Sometimes a little heavier on the blue. I've also tested using different intensities. As high as about 75% and as low as 25% for weeks at a time throughout the 1 1/2 years I've had it.

But the reason I'm posting here today is to talk about my coral colors. They're weak. Both SPS and LPS. I buy a frag from a friend and add it to my tank. The color slowly fades over time. It still has color, don't get me wrong, but it's more pale than it should be. I thought maybe the LEDs were too strong and the coral was bleaching, so I'd run the LEDs at 1/4 power for a couple months. Zero help. It takes a couple months to slowly fade out and, for that reason, is hard to notice for anyone looking at the tank everyday. But when I return to my friend's house and see the mother colony again, it's like night and day. His purple cap is deep and healthy colored. I return home and see my just medium colored purple cap. My green slimmer is between yellow and white colored after more than a year under the LEDs. Several other examples. And I've seen this against other friends I've bought frags from through my local forum. I buy. 3 months later I return to buy something else and am blown away from the look of the coral I bought previously. So it's not that my one friend has a healthier tank/better lights/uses better supplements/etc. I also keep up on my water changes and overall maintenance. It's not something I'm doing wrong or that they're all doing right.

NOW THEN. I just took the leap into removing the entire hood and hanging a 250W MH from my ceiling. It has a 14k DE bulb. It's only been a week, but my softies seem to be LOVING IT. My trumpet corals are full, plump and finally forming into the classic trumpet shape I've seen so many times. All my zoas are wide open the entire day and look great. All 4 of my mushroom leather corals have their polyps fully extended all day long, when previously they would extend and retract all day long.

So. I know everyone is raving about their LEDs. Maybe it's just because I'm using the older model LEDs. But I have to go off of my experiences. I'll never use LEDs again until I watch a tank with all LEDs flourish for a year+.

i have leds over my 10g but i still stay open to all lighting types. i would like to try a mh over my tank but its so little. i still would like to see both in comparison at some point. you got any pics?

I tried Leds and went back to MH. I still like how you can play with color temp with Leds but my coral loves MH a lot more than Leds. also Leds colors didn't blend too well.

I tried Leds and went back to MH. I still like how you can play with color temp with Leds but my coral loves MH a lot more than Leds. also Leds colors didn't blend too well.

Which MH fixture?

Archived