Innovative Marine Aquariums

ADA 45-P Macro Algae Tank MAME OVERFLOW pics on pg4

mastahluong

mastahluong
Hey, did this moonlight work out for you? got pictures?

I had it up for a night, I didn't like it at all. It was way TOO bright for the size of the tank. For it to be dimmer I would need it up a lot higher which distracted from the clean look(dangling power cord). So far I'm not running any moonlight, not that I needed it, it was just a cool way to observe the tank at night.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
mastahluong

Alright, here is an update. Tank has been fully cycled for a few weeks. I tried some algae in the display but so far nothing is surviving. I'm not sure if I the light is too strong or if the algae just doesn't like the spectrum the par38 puts out. I picked up a blue combtooth blenny(Ecsenius lividanalis) and a pom pom crab from divers den. All they do is hide -_-

Here are some pics of whats in right now, enjoy:

FTS:

_MG_0256_1-1.jpg

Scoly:

_MG_0252-1.jpg

Sunset short tentacle plate:

_MG_0255-1.jpg

Tricolor blasto wellsi:

_MG_0251-1.jpg

They are also a 4 frags of some acans and 2 acro frags too. I need to get a viewbox so I can take some topdown photos.

Doesn't look too bright to me /shrug. I don't know what spectrum your light is. Might not have enough nutrients for them to be happy or they might just not be taking shipping well. I'd say about half- a quarter of macros that I order don't survive the shipping. Could really be any number of things, but in that last tank pic the light really doesn't look bright enough to kill macros.

What kind did you try? Where did you place them?

Hi I have a similar tank size rimless, no real plan yet. I will use a par38 bulb too but I wonder if yours is not just a bit too blue. I understand macro algae like all plants, prefer a color spectrum in the more white range at about 10,000 to maybe 15000/ Could it be too blue?

mastahluong
Doesn't look too bright to me /shrug. I don't know what spectrum your light is. Might not have enough nutrients for them to be happy or they might just not be taking shipping well. I'd say about half- a quarter of macros that I order don't survive the shipping. Could really be any number of things, but in that last tank pic the light really doesn't look bright enough to kill macros.

What kind did you try? Where did you place them?

These aren't new macro's, they're macro's I've got in a Biocube 29 and they grow great in there. I don't think it's the brightness/par but maybe more of the spectrum it's putting out. It's evil's 20k par38 bulb. I've tried a few type halymenia, red titan, blue scroll and some others. All my corals seem to love the lighting... :mellow:

Hi I have a similar tank size rimless, no real plan yet. I will use a par38 bulb too but I wonder if yours is not just a bit too blue. I understand macro algae like all plants, prefer a color spectrum in the more white range at about 10,000 to maybe 15000/ Could it be too blue?

I've thought about that myself and think your right. The light is just too much in the blue spectrum or the bulb puts out unusable par for macro's but great for corals. I did want to mix this tank up to have macro algae and corals but the corals look way too good to go for a different light that will grow some macro's. So I think this will just end up being a reef tank.... I still have my small refugium in the sump with a macro grow light maybe I can still satisfy my urge?

part of it will depend on the bulbs spectrum but also the type of algae. depth that it would be at naturally.

angryseahorse

Amazing scoly you have there, I have enjoyed reading through...how is that mame overflow doing I have noticed not a lot of people are drilling these ADA tanks but I don't know if I can justify a 170 dollar overflow unless it is purely silent and very rarily fails but still love the look of them

mastahluong
part of it will depend on the bulbs spectrum but also the type of algae. depth that it would be at naturally.

I've tried them at varying distances from the bulb and up on the rock and sandbed but alas they usually end up going transparent on me only in this tank though.

Amazing scoly you have there, I have enjoyed reading through...how is that mame overflow doing I have noticed not a lot of people are drilling these ADA tanks but I don't know if I can justify a 170 dollar overflow unless it is purely silent and very rarily fails but still love the look of them

Thanks! I love that scoly, it's about 50/50 green/red and about 3" across. The mame is doing pretty well, no problems so far. I've tested it plenty of times to see if it would fail and not prime itself, so nothing bad so far. The overflow is silent BUT only if you have the silent cover on the pipe that sticks straight up. The overflow itself is built very nicely but it is a PITA to clean. If I did it all over from the start I would have drilled the tank.

Lovely tank! I just ordered an aquamedic sunspot 12 that is in the 14000 K spectrum. I am watching your tank with interest. I am sure it will be awesome, the sump is a nice bit of work! I will be using an aquaclear 110, modded as a refugium, no sump. I will put up a few pics when I have something to show. I think I will keep soft coral that love flow and light, because this is what I'll end up with. Go with the flow I say. So go with your bulb, and save the algae for another plan or even your refugium? hmm could work.

• 1 year later...

Archived