Top Shelf Aquatics

ADA 45-P Macro Algae Tank MAME OVERFLOW pics on pg4

mastahluong

go with the mp10!! in the picture above i have a k-nano but i upgraded it to an mp10 a couple months ago. well worth the money imo

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you do the vortech. You will love it. If not you'll never know what to miss so....

As to the pump eheim 1260 would be my choice at that flow rate.

Flow is a funny thing. Some of use will never have enough. But our corals disagree. I'd say it comes down to what will be in the tank. Macros will probably handle a decent amount of flow. B ut what else will be going in.

I'm still not quite sure about what I'll be stocking the tank with coral wise. Since I'll be using the par 38 bulb I think I'll try some SPS. I mainly have LPS and zoa's in my 29 biocube. I currently only have one SPS(pink birds nest) in that tank and it's high up. It lost most of it's color but has started to come back ever since I upgraded to the UVL PCR bulbs.

go with the mp10!! in the picture above i have a k-nano but i upgraded it to an mp10 a couple months ago. well worth the money imo

I have an MP10 on my 29BC right now and it is awesome. What size reef/sump are you running on your tank? I looked at your thread but didn't have a chance to go through all 9 pages yet. What are you using as a stand too?

Look at my old 10x10 on the first page of my tank thread. Should give you some good ideas to start with.

I have an MP10 on my 29BC right now and it is awesome. What size reef/sump are you running on your tank? I looked at your thread but didn't have a chance to go through all 9 pages yet. What are you using as a stand too?

i got a 10 gallon sump underneath. and the stand is a DIY. first time i ever built one so it doesn't look like anything special... thanks for checkin out my thread!

Well since I'm getting the mame overflow I need to get a sump in the build as well. I'm gonna run cheato in the fuge/refugium on reverse light cycle to try and balance pH swings. I've been doing lots of research on the designs of sumps and I think I found one that will work for me. It's going to be a 15high tank(20" x 10" x 18") and this is what I have planned out:

SumpDesign.jpg

I wanted to run the maxijet 1800 because of the ability to reduce flow with the flow plate, so I didn't have to add a ball valve too. Keep in mind that the mame overflow is only rated for 90-180 GPH and there will be a almost a 4 foot head height. Let me know what you guys think or if you think I should change anything.

On second thought I think an Eheim 1250 will fit the bill and it'll have just the right GPH at the head height I'm at. Bitts i know you had recommended the 1260 but I think that might be too much flow for the mame. You think this will be a good compromise?

think your right about stepping down in pump. between the mame & the vortech theres not much need for a monster pump. make sure to stay in their flow range its inportant for maintaining the siphon.

as to sumps the one you have there looks pretty good its very close to the one i always throw up when people are looking for one but dont need a display fuge. really its the same thing, with only a baffle or two being different is all.

So I've been moving pretty slowly as money has been tight lately (stupid broken lawn mower :angry: ) But here are some pics of the lighting setup I'm going to be using.

Light off with flash:

IMG_1071.jpg

Light on with no flash:

IMG_1073.jpg

I'll be ordering some dry rock from reefcleaners sometime this month. I don't think I'll start to fill it until I've got the mame with sump going. Sucks that I have to wait, but only good things can come out of it right?

Thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Moving forward now, I've got my dry rock in from reefcleaners.org. Beautiful rock! I'm going with ~11 pounds in the DT along with like a 1-2 pound live rock to seed and some more rock in the sump. The rock is awesome, very porous with lots of holes. The box it arrived in was delivered by UPS. The driver had asked me "is the package is okay because it sounds like a bunch of rocks were inside". I just replied with "yup, it's just rocks!"

Here are a few pics for now.

Auto WB:

_MG_1087.jpg

Custom WB:

_MG_1086.jpg

Closer view of the rocks:

_MG_1099-1.jpg

nice art.

Thanks Bitts, I think you're the only person who visits my page now :lol:

Nice scape!

Thanks Hype! Keep me up to date on that mame overflow if your going to be getting it earlier! My order still states mid-end of October :mellow:

nice scape. That overflow looks like it will be awesome.

Thanks and yeah, that overflow will be awesome.

Sweet Scape!

I like it a lot :)

Thanks for the kind words AM

Oh that's nice! How did you get you water so clear and dry?

I used some gauze, some faire dust and a blow dryer! :P

like how the spot is working with that scape. how do you plan on joining the rocks.

The rock work is pretty stable stacked like that. I'm not sure if you can tell but there are only 4 rock chunks in there. Only one rock (the overhang one) is relying on stability from 2 other rocks, it's kinda wedged in there so I'm not scared if it toppling over. Thanks for looking!

I'm a little worried about the lighting. Even though this will be a macro tank, I've always heard that lower kelvin 10K and under grow algae better. But with this par38 LED Bulb @ approximately 20K should I be worried about it? I don't think the color would matter as much as long as the par is sufficient, which it is.

The rock work is pretty stable stacked like that. I'm not sure if you can tell but there are only 4 rock chunks in there. Only one rock (the overhang one) is relying on stability from 2 other rocks, it's kinda wedged in there so I'm not scared if it toppling over. Thanks for looking!

I'm a little worried about the lighting. Even though this will be a macro tank, I've always heard that lower kelvin 10K and under grow algae better. But with this par38 LED Bulb @ approximately 20K should I be worried about it? I don't think the color would matter as much as long as the par is sufficient, which it is.

From owning planted tanks a 10k through 6k is best for growing plants but you should be ok with the 20k. Ur grow will just be slower

From owning planted tanks a 10k through 6k is best for growing plants but you should be ok with the 20k. Ur grow will just be slower

I guess the reason I ask is that if the par readings are the same between the 12k and the 20k par38 bulb, it would not matter much to the corals. Corals would have the same growth rate due to the same par levels. So then assuming that, it would not matter as much to the macro algae since the par is still there? Is this right then? Or do macro's have more of a narrow band of usable light spectrum? LED's being different from say a MH bulb or even T5 where a higher spectrum lighting would give off less par.

BTW Giga, glad to see some locals around too, have you been out to reef chief?

as to the light issue, as far as I've been able to figure out. a bluer light will limit which chlorophyll can utilize the light. thus affecting growth. this basically means greens, while reds should be less effected.

as to the light issue, as far as I've been able to figure out. a bluer light will limit which chlorophyll can utilize the light. thus affecting growth. this basically means greens, while reds should be less effected.

I thought that would be the case and was afraid of this, but I guess I'll make lemonade out of the situation and just have a red macro dominated tank. Thanks for the confirmation Bitts!

the green will still grow. the red will just grow faster. theoretically. one thing to remember that john pointed out, is that algae behave differently in our tanks than in the ocean. so try things before moving on. after all this is the front end of the macro scene & theres no proof that it cant work out.

Archived