Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ADA 45-P Macro Algae Tank MAME OVERFLOW pics on pg4

mastahluong

Well I'm getting started on my macro tank and I'd thought I would share my journey and to log what I have done. I just got my tank today, it's an ADA 45-P which is approximately 10 gallons. The dimensions are: 18in X 10.5in X 12in. I'm very impressed with the quality of the tank, almost like there are no seams at all.

I'm going to experiment using evil's par 38 12k bulb for lighting and do as little as possible for equipment inside the tank. The subcurrent surface skimmer list as 160 gph rate, so hopefully the turnover rate is good enough to sustain. I decided on the subcurrent because of the open top just to skim the surface of the water. I'm going to leave it as open top but will get a glass cover if I do get a jawfish.

Equipment list(so far):

Subcurrent skimmer

50w stealth heater

1 nanotuners par 38 12k 20k LED bulb

Mame nano overflow and sump(coming soon)

LED Neo Arm

15 gal sump

Bubble Magus QQ Aquamaxx HOB-1 skimmer

Tunze Osmolator

MP10

Mame overflow

Ehiem hobby pump 1250

Scythe slipstream 140mm fans for stand/sump ventilation

Stocking plans:

Macro algae... DUH

Live rock and special grade sand

1 or 2 fish

misc inverts Harlequin Shrimp pair

Reef cleaners dry rock

acan lord garden

1 or 2 sps (red planet and or oregon tort)

Here are some photos of the tank:

click for larger pics

th_IMG_1048.jpg

th_IMG_1053.jpg

th_IMG_1055.jpg

th_IMG_1061.jpg

What do you guys think? Any advice or suggestions?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some where around here is an index of ADA tanks you can steal ideas from. The jawfish would be cool & ADA has a great lid setup that you can copy or use. Mew's or vics (vicskimmer) tanks would also be good to steal ideas from. Atleast for setup.

Other than that add fish last. Check the tanks in the macro tank index & :welcome:

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I see that most people with ADA tanks leave them all clear. I've been thinking about blacking out the back or maybe all 3 sides. My next update will be soon.

it all depends on you man. if you like the black out go for it i did.mostly cuz its in a corner and i don't want to look at wires on the other side of the tank.

One option is to run a sump move the needed equpment out of the display.

There are some nice overflows for these setups. Google Search for mama overflow. Its a glass overflow & return. Which should be bomb proof as for as this type goes. :)

That plus a vortech is as clean as I can think of. Window tint would be a good option if you want to go with a black back.

Thanks for the info and link, bitts. I'll have to look at it after work as my work computer won't allow me to translate the webpage to English. I had thought about a sump but decided against it because most overflows were huge and I didn't want to drill the tank. I'll see how much space this will take up once I get home and measure it up. Thanks again.

Found the pre-order for the mame overflow. The overflow itself is going for about 200 dollars, seems a little expensive but the whole unit is made out of glass. The website also states that they don't plan to have any in stock till the end of October since Mame can't even supply Asia with enough stock yet. Mame must be VERY popular over in Japan. I had already ordered the subcurrent skimmer but I think I'll order this too for a future upgrade to a sump.

Bitts I want to thank you for the recommendation of that overflow. I would not have even payed attention to it since the pictures just make it seem so awkward, it almost looks plastic but the whole thing is made out of blown glass.

Here is a better diagram picture if anyone else is interested:

th_60952-2.jpg

On another note does anyone know where I can get a piece of low iron/starphire glass cut with rounded edges for the top of the tank?

I feel like that little overflow will be a huge pain to clean. On the other hand I hope you go with a sump and show as little equipment as possible. And if you can hide cords then I suggest you don't paint the back black. I think it's totally a personal preference though so go with whatever floats your boat.

can't wait to see what you do with this! i've got the 45p as well. and actually, after looking at that mame overflow, which is pretty f'in slick btw, i realized that my pvc overflow follows the same design. it's a very cheap alternative for the mean time. i'm thinking of purchasing that mame once it becomes available.

but here's the link to the diy pvc overflow instructions in case you wanted to check it out http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thre...ow-check-it-out

The difference between the mame & a standard pvc overflow is substantial. This has come up before & at this point most know my bias. But the reason why I'm even willing to recommend the mame is that it is self priming. This can be done with pvc. But most plans found online don't even have a connection for an aqualifter which is marginal at best. The self priming nature of this design is a degree of magnitude above others. With it being self priming the return pump is what begins & then maintains the siphon. To do this with pvc would actually be simple. Connect the return line to the siphon through RO fittings. From that point it works like the siphon setup that mounts to the kitchen/bathroom sink. If you have ever drained a water bed this should be easy to figure out as a diy.

Also there are several sources for black pvc to improve the look when finished.

Thes may be of interest

Thats just too cool. With it being clear your able to see the overflow "working"!

Still haven't figured out how your supose to clean it, I'm sure it comes apart or smoe thing. but yeah someday gotta have one. That with a vortech is just to clean. Although I've seen a pvc overflow that was almost as clean. Well "almost" but not the same. I'll see if I can find a pic.

AquaticDiscounts
can't wait to see what you do with this! i've got the 45p as well. and actually, after looking at that mame overflow, which is pretty f'in slick btw, i realized that my pvc overflow follows the same design. it's a very cheap alternative for the mean time. i'm thinking of purchasing that mame once it becomes available.

but here's the link to the diy pvc overflow instructions in case you wanted to check it out http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thre...ow-check-it-out

It is available here http://en.item.rakuten.com/chanet/60952/

guess its sold out now. but within a week it should be available again. I was thinking of using this my self

Still haven't figured out how your supose to clean it, I'm sure it comes apart or smoe thing. but yeah someday gotta have one. That with a vortech is just to clean. Although I've seen a pvc overflow that was almost as clean. Well "almost" but not the same. I'll see if I can find a pic.

I found out that the unit actually has some vinyl tube connections so that it has some "give". I guess removing them from said connections would make it easier to clean?

It is available here http://en.item.rakuten.com/chanet/60952/

guess its sold out now. but within a week it should be available again. I was thinking of using this my self

I looked at rakuten but the shipping is REALLY expensive. The shipping is almost as much as the overflow itself. I actually pre-ordered through:

aquatouch.com

Supposedly it won't be in till the end of October but I'm willing to wait on such a fine piece. If any of you want it I would place a pre-order. Like I stated in an earlier post, Mame is already having a hard time meeting demand for them, and I don't know how many aquatouch will be ordering. I've got mine on pre-order.... who else is in?

-Kevin

If you look closely at the photo you can see the connections after each bend. So I'm assuming it won't be difficult disassembling it for cleaning.... putting it back together correctly is a whole other story though.

mame-nano-overflow-lily-pipe-4.jpg

Can anyone recommend a small sump for me then? I was looking at the eshopps sump but wasn't sure if there are better options out there. I've never did a DIY sump and I'm not sure I want to.

depends on the stand you will be using but bigger is better & DIY is cheaper. its a sump so doesent have to be clean.

oh & more inspiration.

090624FTS.jpg

34gFulltankshotwithstand.jpg

Just got my nanotuners par38 20K bulb and that things has some CRAZY shimmer omgomgomg . Also got in most of my supplies for the tank I'll post pics later tonight.

So I have decided to go with a sump but for the first few months with just the subcurrent skimmer. I'll have to wait on the mame overflow to get here. They recommended to run with a rio 2100 and up pump with the overflow. Do you guys think that will be enough flow for the gallon tank, would it even be necessary? I'm not against getting a vortech mp10 and I know I can turn it down the but was wondering if that combined with the sump pump would be too much flow. The sump pump will probably be ~2-3ft maybe 4ft max of tubing. So I would say about 400gph flow. So all I need to get started now is rock, light fixture and stand.

Max Lift in Ft.

0` 1` 2` 3` 4` 6` 8` 10`

692 666 600 486 375 200 - -

If you do the vortech. You will love it. If not you'll never know what to miss so....

As to the pump eheim 1260 would be my choice at that flow rate.

Flow is a funny thing. Some of use will never have enough. But our corals disagree. I'd say it comes down to what will be in the tank. Macros will probably handle a decent amount of flow. B ut what else will be going in.

Archived