Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

65 gal Rimless Shallow 6 foot Build

autopro

Did a bit of work during the weekend and here it is. I built the side cabinets and the top shelf which will house the LED’s. Still have a bit of sanding to do and some finish trim work but it’s almost there.

IMG_3633.jpg

IMG_3632.jpg

I will start working on the doors next week:

IMG_3634.jpg

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 4

Nice, can't wait for corals/fish/inverts to be living there, may I ask what are your plans for corals? lps?

Nice, can't wait for corals/fish/inverts to be living there, may I ask what are your plans for corals? lps?

You and me both, I'm just waiting for the tank to mature a bit more. I also need to finish my light fixture. Corals will be mostly LPS like Acans, Zoas, Ricordeas etc. I'll have a little bit of SPS in there also just to give it some texture. :D

Deleted User 4
You and me both, I'm just waiting for the tank to mature a bit more. I also need to finish my light fixture. Corals will be mostly LPS like Acans, Zoas, Ricordeas etc. I'll have a little bit of SPS in there also just to give it some texture. :D

nice, can't wait. :D

This build has just too much potential! Looking forward to seeing this stocked and mature.

I love your tank, hopefully one day mine looks as good as yours B)

Rabidgerbil38

Looking great as usual, do you plan to paint or stain the new additions? Can't wait to see the lights come on, keep up the great work!

Looking great as usual, do you plan to paint or stain the new additions? Can't wait to see the lights come on, keep up the great work!

Yes, the shelf and the sides will be stained the same dark color. I actually wanted to do it this weekend but I am stuck here at work :angry: . I will try to get to it next weekend. I really need to finish my lights also so that I can transfer my corals over to the new tank, it just looks so bare right now. :huh:

• 3 weeks later...
So cool, I want my tank and home to look like that.

Get to work then! :P

where are the new pics?

Take it easy my friend :rolleyes: They are below :happydance:

lovely!

Thanks...

very very nice build.. can't wait to see more progress and pics

Here are some more!

Finally made some real progress this weekend, now it’s starting to look like a real fish tank. I managed to get all of the wood staining done which was holding me up on installing my lights.

This is how I mounted the LED’s to my shelf. I used aluminum channel that is offset from the wood by about ½” to allow for air circulation and cooling. The drivers and power supplies will go inside the cabinet. I think the most time consuming of building and LED fixture is all the wiring and soldering.

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3732.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

They are really bright, this are them running at 100% on the blues and whites. Eventually I will have an Arduino to control them, my friend is currently working on it and I think I will have it installed in about two weeks.

IMG_3735.jpg

IMG_3736.jpg

And finally we are almost done. I still have some baseboards to install and some finish trim work to do. This is what you see from the dining room side.

IMG_3738.jpg

Here is what you see from inside the office, like I said; still need some finish trim work and to work on the doors for the side cabinets that hide the overflow and return piping, also this is where the drivers and power supplies go. I am controlling the lights right now with simple timers but once I get the Arduino those will go away.

IMG_3739.jpg

Wow! it looks great,

One question, did you arrange the LEDS in groups of 15 and 18? it looks like:

18 - 15 - 15..

Great update! looks phenomenal. Great addition to the house!

It was overdue :o Thanks!

Wow! it looks great,

One question, did you arrange the LEDS in groups of 15 and 18? it looks like:

18 - 15 - 15..

Yeah that is how I arranged them. Since the first rock structure is the largest it required more lighting.

Awesome set up. It fits in very well in the house. The wood work is amazing.

Thanks, I'll take some more pictures once the maid cleans up the mess I made, that way you can see how it looks with the rest of the house.

Freaking Aawwwwwwweeeesssoooooommmmme!!! :D Time for the new corals edition, boy I can't wait.

I actually already put some corals in there and they look sweet under the LED's. All I need is some semi-descent photo skills like some of the guys around here and I’ll be set. When I get some time next weekend I'll take some pics.

Rabidgerbil38

Dayum! that tank looks sweet with those LED's! Is that a little rose nem on the smallest rock island? What mix did you go with on the LED's?

Mr. Microscope

Wow! Just found your thread. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this inspirational tank.

+1 on the LED mix. Did you use cool whites or neutrals?

Also, did you get that play house out of the office before finishing the walls. I was concerned that it would get stuck in there, lol!

Dayum! that tank looks sweet with those LED's! Is that a little rose nem on the smallest rock island? What mix did you go with on the LED's?

Yeah, that's my rose, see below for a pic!

LED's are a 50/50 mix of 10K's and blues

Wow! Just found your thread. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this inspirational tank.

+1 on the LED mix. Did you use cool whites or neutrals?

Also, did you get that play house out of the office before finishing the walls. I was concerned that it would get stuck in there, lol!

Yeah, I used the cool whites, they are actually 10,000k and I like them alot. The play house is still in there, it comes appart so I can take it out any time I want to. I still have more work to do to the office but It's slowly getting there.

Here is an update! B)

So here are a few pictures of the corals I transferred over last week. Sorry for the bad pictures but I am still trying to learn how to use my camera, it’s just a little point and shoot type.

This is my anemone, he has been moving in and out of the rock for the last couple of days, and hopefully he will settle in soon.

IMG_3754.jpg

This little guy likes to hang out at the top of this rock, it sticks out of the water about an inch and he sometimes climbs up there out of the water

IMG_3753.jpg

I’ve had this clam for a couple of months now and I really like the colors it has:

IMG_3747.jpg

My lonely cleaner shrimp since he has nobody to clean. The only two fish in the tank are a Flame Hawk and a Midas Blenny and they totally avoid him:

IMG_3749.jpg

Ok, now a couple of my corals, these are not all of them but once I learn how to take better pictures I will take some of the rest:

IMG_3752.jpg

IMG_3751.jpg

IMG_3750.jpg

IMG_3755.jpg

Rabidgerbil38

I love the acans :wub: Do you feed them? If so how much and often and what?

Mine are always sticking out their feeders and never look as good as yours <_<

The baby bubble tip is awesome too, great color on the little guy.

Deleted User 4

Cool selection of corals, you should go all frags sized from now on since you already have some. In other words, this way all the corals will be similar sizes growing together so that one wouldn't have such a huge size difference than the others, do you know what I mean?? Nice is what I mean :D .

longbeachstateofmind

WOW. I think im speechless. I think ive stained my pants too. I spent a good amount of time reading all 8 pages start to finish.

I love the acans :wub: Do you feed them? If so how much and often and what?

Mine are always sticking out their feeders and never look as good as yours <_<

The baby bubble tip is awesome too, great color on the little guy.

I feed them mysis about one or twice a week but I also feed Cyclops for the fishes with each meal and the acans really love those also, acans are my favorite coral! Where in the tank do you have yours? Try a different place for them and see how they react.

Bubble tip is growing quickly, when I got him he was about an inch or two now he is about 5 inches when fully extended, he has awesome colors.B)

Cool selection of corals, you should go all frags sized from now on since you already have some. In other words, this way all the corals will be similar sizes growing together so that one wouldn't have such a huge size difference than the others, do you know what I mean?? Nice is what I mean :D .

That’s the way I’m going to go since buying large colonies is pretty expensive :bling: , I think I’ll just stick with frags and watch them grow, probably more rewarding also.

WOW. I think im speechless. I think ive stained my pants too. I spent a good amount of time reading all 8 pages start to finish.

Jajaja :rolleyes: go change them then!!! Glad you like it! :lol:

Archived