ReefCleaners.org

65 gal Rimless Shallow 6 foot Build

autopro

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
have you thought about how your goin to light this beast???

and what your goin to house? still following

I will be using LED's to light it, soon I will show how I am going to build the fixture.

It will be mostly LPS

This thing is gonna be so awesome...

I really hope so!

Tagging along on this badass build! Your handy man skills are awesome!

Hope you enjoy it!

nice cabinetry

Thanks!

This is just a little something I was able to do today. I had not been able to place the tank on the stand because I needed someone to help me carry it. Yesterday a friend of mine came over and we got it upstairs.

Most of the plumbing is just fit together without glue. Once I get everything lined up I will glue it all up.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Awesome build!

You know, in the past year or so there have really been some neat builds going on. You know, ones that sort of "break the mold" of your typical tank setup.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing this set up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
love it! nice work

Thanks!

yeah, super bad-ass

Cool B)

Awesome build!

You know, in the past year or so there have really been some neat builds going on. You know, ones that sort of "break the mold" of your typical tank setup.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing this set up.

I had the typical setup before, but I wanted something different for this one. Thanks!

Where we at amigo? Any updates? :happy:

Just been working, I have very little time to work on this.

I have a running 72x16x16 fish only in my living room because of this thread :) thanks for the inspiration, looking forward to your updates

That's awesome, post a link to your build thread so I can check it out.

Alright so I have been doing little by little over the past weekends. I know it’s not much but I only get to work on it about one day a week.

IMG_3395.jpg

I have finished the drywall for this part of the build. The wall you see in the background will come later as I want to be able to finally get some water in the tank.

IMG_3397.jpg

Here is the view from inside the office.

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

And here are the doors that are not finished yet.

IMG_3400.jpg

After I do all the joint compound I will start on staining the shelves and then paint the walls, once this is done I can finally put water in the tank! :D

This is very much like the tank I want to move to.

Rimless, 5'x2'x18"

I really like the shelf unit above the tank and it is giving me some ideas about what I will do. Can't wait to see wet water in it!

• 4 weeks later...
Wow great work. Looks like it's coming along very nicely.

Yes, It's finally getting to the point that I can get water in the tank. :D

This is very much like the tank I want to move to.

Rimless, 5'x2'x18"

I really like the shelf unit above the tank and it is giving me some ideas about what I will do. Can't wait to see wet water in it!

There will be another shelf right above the tank that will hold the LED's to light up the tank. I will build that later.

I like the dimmensions you have, especially the depth, I wish mike would have been 2' also.

super nice...

Thanks!

I made some progress in the past 2 weeks, drywall plastering is done and I only need one more coat of polyurethane on the wood! Still haven’t stained the doors though but I wanted to finish this part of the build so I can get the sand, rock and water in the tank, this way I can start the cycle. The doors and the shelf that will hold the LED’s I can sand and stain outside and I won’t get any dust into the tank while it’s running.

Here are a couple of pics so you can see the progress I have made.

This is from the dining room side:

IMG_3454.jpg

This is from the office side, you can see that I also painted the inside of the stand a nice white:

IMG_3455.jpg

Thanks for looking! B)

Alright, here is another little update. Worked hard this weekend to get this part of the build done, I need to tie up a few loose ends but they should be done by this weekend and next week we will get water in the tank.

I bought CaribSea Ocean Direct, 1 original grade and the other Oolite, does anyone know if I can place the sand in the tank and then a couple of days later add the water?

Enough talk, here are the pics:

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

This is my scape, I will take better pictures of it once I have the sand in the tank, and hopefully you will be able to see all the details in the rock

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

And lastly a couple of pics of the sump. Still need to finish some of the plumbing because I ran out of PVC glue last weekend :rant:

Picture009.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Next week I will show the dosing pumps, ATO and get the BRS reactors going.

And we have water!!!! :happydance:

Picture013.jpg

It’s still cloudy after 1 day :(

Picture014.jpg

Sump in action

Picture018.jpg

:bowdown: BeanAnimal Silent and Failsafe Overflow System, what can I say; this design is sweet. The loudest piece of equipment in my tank is the MP40, aside from that I can’t hear anything else. It worked flawlessly right from the start with only a couple of minutes of adjusting the valve to set the water level in the overflow. It is dead silent and I already tested both failsafes on the system and they worked beautifully.

In this picture you don’t see the airline on the open channel but it’s in place now. It was installed shortly after I took the picture.

Picture016.jpg

Some of the rockwork, the big island actually sticks out of the water by about an inch. I like the way this looks as it breaks the surface of the water, we’ll see if any crabs go up there to take some air

Picture015.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Builder Anthony

No better live rock around there?

I dont know maybe yuo want it clean.

Id tell them to sell that rock for cheap and not something like 6 bucks a pound.I mean thats where you get all the free goodys.

great build, thats truly something to be proud of. VERY NICE.

Yeah, I really like the way it's turning out, thanks :D

Really nice work! Nice to see an update.

I know it's been a while but there was just so much to this build that it's finally nice to see something other than dust in the tank. ;)

Awesome build! Tagging along.

Sweet, thanks...

No better live rock around there?

I dont know maybe yuo want it clean.

Id tell them to sell that rock for cheap and not something like 6 bucks a pound.I mean thats where you get all the free goodys.

Actually had the rock from my previous 72g. bowfront. I left it ourside for a couple of months and then for the past two months it's been sitting in a trash can with saltwater.

damn, I'm in love with what you are doing here. Minimal rock, shallow design, long, rimless. If you stop posting pictures I'll be heartbroken.

Rabidgerbil38

Subscribed to this beautiful tank, I love how clean it is. I wanna see that vortech in action on that thing!

glad to see things are moving along! that sump looks so organized and awesome :happy: any particular reason you went the zip tie route instead of epoxying the rock together?

Hey AutoPro,

I'm a lurker, as evidenced by my post count, and since I'm still trying to convince my wife to set up a tank in the extra bedroom. I've followed your build since the planning stages and it looks great. I noticed that you have hardwood floors, as do I. This is one of the major hurdles I'm trying to overcome in my justification for a tank. My questions to you are these.....

How do you protect your floor during your maintenance procedures?

Have you had any catastrophic failures in any of your systems and what type of damage occured if any?

What sorts of costs were involved in damage repair as a result? I believe I read in this post that you are a general contractor or home builder, in which case the cost of repairs to a laymen like me is somewhat irreclevant but I'm still interested if your willing to confess?

Thanks

damn, I'm in love with what you are doing here. Minimal rock, shallow design, long, rimless. If you stop posting pictures I'll be heartbroken.

Haha, don't worry I still have many things to do so there should be a lot more pictures :D

Subscribed to this beautiful tank, I love how clean it is. I wanna see that vortech in action on that thing!

Vortech is pretty awesome, I was kind of worried about getting good flow in the middle of the tank but the vortech is doing a good job. I have another MP10 that I will place on the other side were the returns are at just to create some more random flow. Thanks for the compliments B)

glad to see things are moving along! that sump looks so organized and awesome :happy: any particular reason you went the zip tie route instead of epoxying the rock together?

Hey amigo! I'm still not 100% sure on the rock work so If I have to change it it will be much easier, if I don't then I'll just glue some frags on top of them to hide them :blush:

Hey AutoPro,

I'm a lurker, as evidenced by my post count, and since I'm still trying to convince my wife to set up a tank in the extra bedroom. I've followed your build since the planning stages and it looks great. I noticed that you have hardwood floors, as do I. This is one of the major hurdles I'm trying to overcome in my justification for a tank. My questions to you are these.....

How do you protect your floor during your maintenance procedures?

Have you had any catastrophic failures in any of your systems and what type of damage occured if any?

What sorts of costs were involved in damage repair as a result? I believe I read in this post that you are a general contractor or home builder, in which case the cost of repairs to a laymen like me is somewhat irreclevant but I'm still interested if your willing to confess?

Thanks

Well jagarang were to start. I think my wife would kill me if anything happens :slap: so after that I don't have much to worry about.

But in al seriousness, I do protect the floor whenever I do major work with an old sleeping bag that I have lying around. Luckily never had any failures fingerscrossed on other tanks except from just operator error, one of those was letting the RO unit overflow my container in the kitchen, needless to say that RO unit is now in the garage. No real damage that time since the floors at my other house where stone.

The overflow system on this is pretty much bulletproof and my sump can more than handle the excess water from the tank in case the pump fails or I turn it off for feedings. I have tested this many times now so I am pretty confident on this.

My only major worry :scarry: with this setup would be if the tank or sump broke a seam and water went everywhere, then that would get pretty expensive with having to replace the damaged hardwood floors :bling: . Other than that if you have a well designed system and a good strong tank there should be no major worries, go buy a tank put in the bedroom then give your wife some flowers :flower: and say “look what I got”. This has worked for me before so it should work for you my friend. :naughtydance:

Rabidgerbil38
buy a tank put in the bedroom then give your wife some flowers :flower: and say “look what I got”. This has worked for me before so it should work for you my friend. :naughtydance:

Lol, I'll have to try this next time I buy corals.

What do you plan on lighting with?

Archived