ReefCleaners.org

65 gal Rimless Shallow 6 foot Build

autopro

Awsome tank man. I always thought it was cool to have a tank as a divider between rooms

Is it goin to be a rec room or fish room?

The kids treat it as a rec room right now, but it will soon be an office :P

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the fudge, I don't have the experience to know why is better to have it on the middle or at one end, hopefully someone can explain this, since I don't see a difference.

The idea of putting the fudge in the middle is that you force water to flow thru it, and the way you have it on your diagram, you will make water circulate with a pump, witch is a really expensive way to circulate water (energy inefficient), is better to use powerheads to move water and pumps to return it in my opinion.

maybe there is something else I don't see...

fishez4alivin

I have used both types of sumps. The type where the fuge is in the middle was used on a smaller sump where I sacrificed space for the baffles. So the fuge/rock/chaeto acted like a bubble buster, so no micro bubbles would end up in the sump. I like the fuge on the end better, using the return pump to pump the wanted flow into it. I would suggest getting a Eheim 1262 and t ing it off, maybe one for the fuge, and one that has a john guest ball valve for future media reactors, calcium reactor, etc....I have an ehiem, and you don't need the redundancy, they are bulletproof, and dead silent.

cheaper to use 1 pump and some plumbing

safer to use two pumps for redundancy, but the failure rate of pumps is pretty low.

the other advantage to 1 pump/plumbing is that you could use a wave-maker to alternate flow between the two outlets.

since you don't need much flow through the 'fuge, I think your design will work out just fine.

Looks great, by the way.

About the fudge, I don't have the experience to know why is better to have it on the middle or at one end, hopefully someone can explain this, since I don't see a difference.

The idea of putting the fudge in the middle is that you force water to flow thru it, and the way you have it on your diagram, you will make water circulate with a pump, witch is a really expensive way to circulate water (energy inefficient), is better to use powerheads to move water and pumps to return it in my opinion.

maybe there is something else I don't see...

It would be more energy efficient to put the pump on the end, I would agree with you on that. I am also still going to use a vortech in the main display tank for more circulation

I have used both types of sumps. The type where the fuge is in the middle was used on a smaller sump where I sacrificed space for the baffles. So the fuge/rock/chaeto acted like a bubble buster, so no micro bubbles would end up in the sump. I like the fuge on the end better, using the return pump to pump the wanted flow into it. I would suggest getting a Eheim 1262 and t ing it off, maybe one for the fuge, and one that has a john guest ball valve for future media reactors, calcium reactor, etc....I have an ehiem, and you don't need the redundancy, they are bulletproof, and dead silent.

Yes, that was one of the main reasons people liked the sump on one end. It was to be able to control the flow and also you had the ability to isolate it just in case you needed to do maintenance or something else. This would allow you to still keep the tank up and running.

cheaper to use 1 pump and some plumbing

safer to use two pumps for redundancy, but the failure rate of pumps is pretty low.

the other advantage to 1 pump/plumbing is that you could use a wave-maker to alternate flow between the two outlets.

since you don't need much flow through the 'fuge, I think your design will work out just fine.

Looks great, by the way.

Thanks, that's a thought about using a wave-maker.

This is looking awsome, I really like your ideas and design. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Glad you like it!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the glass for my sump this Friday and as soon as I got home I started cleaning and masking them off for assembly. I used Dow Corning 795 for the assembly.

These are the ends:

IMG_3076.jpg

Bottom:

IMG_3077.jpg

And one of the sides:

IMG_3079.jpg

These next three are after I assembled it, I wanted to take pictures during the assembly but since I was by myself and my hands were full of silicone I couldn’t. This stuff is super sticky and gets on everything so be careful.

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

Here is one of the seams right after I took off the masking tape:

IMG_3082.jpg

And here it is after it was all cleaned up this morning.

IMG_3088.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

Now I have to wait for about a week for the silicone to cure before I can do a water test. After that I will start installing my baffles.

great work on the sump ! shame it will be hidden as it looks so nice. Very cool setup ! following

ps i love the 1/2 inch glass in the DT

Thanks, I'll still be able to see it and I will take some pics once it's set up for you guys to see ;)

Wow, your sump looks better than my tank :s

I've seen your tank, no way this looks nicer than yours :slap:

I am debating getting a dual carbon and GFO reactor from Bulk Reef Supply for my new tank :unsure: and I was wondering if you guys thought it was a good idea? Any help with this decision would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I like the idea of the charcoal reactor, but instead of the GFO - like my algae scrubber. I like to think is a more natural aproach.

He already has a refugium so he'll have plenty of algae. A carbon-gfo set up works great, but you might want to check out solid vodka dosing if you are planning on lots of SPS.

I was jealous when I saw your plans and design with the sump/return...

I was pretty upset with your building skills of the room and stand...

Now im upset that your sump tank is better then my tank

Sigh... following along, this tank should be awesome

I like the idea of the charcoal reactor, but instead of the GFO - like my algae scrubber. I like to think is a more natural aproach.

I’m still going to build an ATS like yours as I really like the idea of them.

Subscribed! Looking good!

Thanks!

He already has a refugium so he'll have plenty of algae. A carbon-gfo set up works great, but you might want to check out solid vodka dosing if you are planning on lots of SPS.

I’ll have to do a bit more of research on the Vodka dosing, I’ve only slightly read through the threads but it does look very interesting.

Go for the BRS reactor. There's a group buy going on the SD boards. Sweet tank by the way!!! and you avatar is awesome!.. memories... lol.

Jajaja Khris good times down there! B)

I'm actually on that GB that is why I was asking about them. Don't know if you remember but I was the one that got the superman monti from you about a month ago :P

I was jealous when I saw your plans and design with the sump/return...

I was pretty upset with your building skills of the room and stand...

Now im upset that your sump tank is better then my tank

Sigh... following along, this tank should be awesome

:lol: No need to be upset, just build one yourself!

I kind of agree with you cuz I started with a refugium and still have one, but algae in a turf scrubber grows way more rapidly than in a refugium, so is more effective with nutrient export, my nitrates and phosphates are at 0 all the time.

But well maybe Pedro can tell us how it goes for him with the ATS and the GFO...

I'm actually on that GB that is why I was asking about them. Don't know if you remember but I was the one that got the superman monti from you about a month ago :P

Yea, I remember. You said you were setting up a new tank but I didn't know it would be something as sweet as this! Good luck!

Yea, I remember. You said you were setting up a new tank but I didn't know it would be something as sweet as this! Good luck!

Whenever you have more frags let me know! I won't forget I still owe you $2.00 bucks :o

What is the reason for the thicker glass? Is it just safety against something breaking it?

I would imagine that it wouldnt be as clear as thinner glass?

I've seen starfire tanks before and to be honest I don't think that the extra cost would have been justified with the size of my tank. Maybe if it was really tall then I would have considered it.

The thickness of the glass is required because of the length of the tank and the fact that it will be rimless, besides I think it looks much better than thinner glass. If I had gone with lets say a 3/8" glass I would have had problems with it bowing. :mellow:

WTF PART TJ YOU LIVE IN?????????

why would you want to live in Tj? THAT PLACE BLOWS!!! only good things their are the tacos!!!!! and i only like em from some dude on a corner in mexicali! looks like you have $$$ too!

Eres Narco Guay??? quanto por un Kilo?

also sick tank!!!!! cant wait to see it set up and running!

WTF PART TJ YOU LIVE IN?????????

why would you want to live in Tj? THAT PLACE BLOWS!!! only good things their are the tacos!!!!! and i only like em from some dude on a corner in mexicali! looks like you have $$$ too!

Eres Narco Guay??? quanto por un Kilo?

also sick tank!!!!! cant wait to see it set up and running!

Tacos are better in TJ than in Mexicali :owned:

I added some baffles to my sump; I did the one for the fuge part and one for the bubble trap. I did the middle one first so I could do the other two in the next day or so.

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

I also ended up getting the dual reactor a 2-part kit, carbon and GFO from BRS which should show up next Tuesday :naughtydance:

Pretty Sexy!!!!!!!!

its looking better and better each day bro!!!!

what are the Dims on your sump?

Thanks Alkomist! The dims on the sump are 42" long x 12" deep x 15" tall.

This little gem showed up today ;) along with the rest of my supplies; GFO, carbon and my two part kit. I had an excellent experience ordering from them, I would highly recommend them. I purchased these items through a group buy and we were able to get really good pricing.

IMG_3178.jpg

I have been lazy this past week on the build, we have had a heat wave and it’s just too hot to work right now. I will get back on it this weekend and take more pics. I also finished installing the sump baffles and I will water test it this weekend, keep your fingers crossed for no leaks! fingerscrossed

Archived