Cultivated Reef

65 gal Rimless Shallow 6 foot Build

autopro

Hi Everyone

Ok, thanks everyone for taking your time to look at my build thread. Maybe you can give me some input and be part of the build as we go. :D

I was waiting until I actually received the tank to start my build thread. This is coming from a long time of planning. 2 years ago we started building our house and I planned on having a rimless shallow long reef tank since the beginning. The problem was finding a place for it in the house. The tank is 72” long x 15” wide x 14.5” high and it is made of 1/2" glass.

This is a rendering of it when I was in the planning stages:

PeceraRevit.jpg

And this is from yesterday after they delivered it to my house:

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg

I think they did a great job on the tank considering it was built here in Tijuana

IMG_3000.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

I also got it drilled for a BeanAnimal Silent and Failsafe Overflow System. In case you don’t know what that is check out his tread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1310585 It is an excellent thread!

IMG_2993.jpg

These are for the returns.

IMG_2996.jpg

I still have a ton of work to do :blink: as you can see from these renderings. Right now there is nothing in that space so the build begins this weekend. I will start with the stand for the tank, that way I can get an idea of the space that I will have available and then start building the sump.

The tank will be in a dividing wall from the dining area and the office. I will build an LED fixture into the shelf right above the tank, this will be removable in order to do maintenance on the tank. What you see on the right hand side will be a water feature that faces the main entrance to the house.

My wife made a big stink about our previous tank being loud and she said that this one better be silent, I said ok and then decided to go with the BeanAnimal overflow. What I don’t understand is that she wanted a water feature on the opposite wall that will make a lot more noise than this tank ever will :wacko:

OficinaPez.jpg

OficinaPez2.jpg

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This tank looks awesome!!!! Taggin along..

About the wife: don't try to understand her, just try to keep her happy, that way she will focus less on your tank...

Very nice. Following along for what looks to be a wonderfully thought out plan.

i've spent a long time on thinking about this one.

Following along :)

I like long shallow tanks :P

I want to do LED lighting so being shallow it should work out better.

Nice tank. will be fallowing along

Thanks!

Foloowing, this is going to be an awesome build.

I wish it was done already!

Tank just got me excited. :naughtydance:

Following!

Cool

I feel your pain understanding the "wife logic". ;)

Cool tank.

Headache is not over yet my friend :P

Looks great...I'll be tagging along:) And yes I feel your pain about the wife..mine said the same thing about our tank:/

They must be related; all of them :o

This tank looks awesome!!!! Taggin along..

About the wife: don't try to understand her, just try to keep her happy, that way she will focus less on your tank...

According to her is all that I talk about, maybe I should just shut up then, what do you think? :tears:

Wow, this has some awesome potential!

Hopefully it will come out as I invision it. fingerscrossed

Thanks everybody

According to her is all that I talk about, maybe I should just shut up then, what do you think? :tears:

Nah thats what these forums are for.My wife cant stand my tank but shes finally accepted it as a part of who i am...took a while though ;)

Reefer 4 life B)

I manage to get her interested on the hobby, I make a small nano for my "baby" as a night light. She even bought a couple of corals :).

Off course I usually do all the maintenance of the tank and filters while she sleeps :S

Nah thats what these forums are for.My wife cant stand my tank but shes finally accepted it as a part of who i am...took a while though ;)

Reefer 4 life B)

Dude just went through your tread, all I can say is it looks killer :bowdown: I just can't get over the size, it looks so much bigger. I might have to steal the idea of having one of the rocks comming out of the surface, if that's ok with you :D

I tell my wife that for every dollar she spends on shoes or purses I get to spend the same on tank stuff :bling:

I manage to get her interested on the hobby, I make a small nano for my "baby" as a night light. She even bought a couple of corals :).

Off course I usually do all the maintenance of the tank and filters while she sleeps :S

Don't get me wrong she does like it and the kids also enjoy it. I understand how she must feel, I also doze off when she starts talking about clothes/shoes/purses and stuff -_-

Lookie what UPS just brought me :happydance:

IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

It's the Bubble-magus NAC6A I'll put it together once I get home, but I am really impressed with the quality of the product. It's so much bigger than I imagined it. I just couldn't wait and had to take it out to show you guys. :wub:

following along.

btw theres some weird animals in your tank.

Haha! They are weird, believe me :wacko:

I water tested the tank since last week and all looks fine, not a single drop spilled :happy:

I also started building my stand but I ran out of wood so this week I am picking up more supplies that way I should be able to get more stuff done this weekend.

I placed an order for my sand and my return pump last week, they should be here tomorrow.

I will probably go out this weekend and buy some of my plumbing supplies, but I would like to check with you guys which do you think is a better option?

Option 1 is using only one pump as the return as seen bellow. As you can see it will also supply the refugium. This is the most common way that I have seen everyone do.

1PumpOption.jpg

Option 2 is to use 2 smaller returns pumps, these will also supply the refugium. I like this as it gives me some redundancy in my system just in case one of them happens to fail.

2PumpOption.jpg

I would love to hear what everyone thinks is a better way.

Not sure what is best, but in my dream system the refugium is going to be in the middle and the pump all the way to the left, that way the water will flow thru the 3 chambers to the pump, not sure if that sounds logical..

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure what is best, but in my dream system the refugium is going to be in the middle and the pump all the way to the left, that way the water will flow thru the 3 chambers to the pump, not sure if that sounds logical..

I might end up moving the return to the end like you say. I have read several threads and a lot of people say that the return in the middle is a better way. Although I do not see a problem with having the fuge in the middle and the return on the end.

If I put the fuge in the middle do you think I can put the ATS over the fuge? Is that a good idea?

Ok, so I promised some pictures of the progress from this weekend and here they are.

This is the start of the stand:

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3067.jpg

Here is the finished frame work. The stand isn’t 100% finished as it still needs the center braces but I am not going to put those in until I figure out my sump dimensions and decide on how I am going to finish the front with the doors.

IMG_3068.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

During the week I am going to start working on the electrical and get all my wiring done. I already have a big list of materials that I need and I will go pick those up today after work.

You did all that by yourself? wow!, is looking real good..

What software you used for the design?

I am using REVIT to do my work. I designed my house with it and it's fairly easy to work with. I have tried Sketch-Up but it just does not work for me.

I did it all mostly my self, my wife helped me with some of it.

Archived