SaltCritters.com

The Forest Edge

RESONANCE

Hi Guys,

And that's about it. Anyone have a spare mp10, mp40 or even just the mp40 wetside they want to donate? :D.

There's a couple of used mp40 wetsides on ebay for around $50.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Great looking mangroves! any update pics?

Thanks Giga! Yeah there's some nice new growth on one of my mangroves; I'll keep ya guessing which one and what kind of growth till I update! LOL ;)

Did you get another pump going? The tank was looking good, do you have any updated pics?

Thanks drunk! Yeah I really need to update this thread. Just haven't been feeling up to it... My tank to be honest, is currently in flux. I've been doing several things all at the same time. From dealing with broken equipment, to battling an infestation of bubble algae, (that involves another 20 gallon tank and an elite squad of red and green emerald crabs) to really interesting experiments on 2 types of sea grass. So in other words, the tank's a mess and I don't really feel like showing it off right now LOL.

But that being said, I have some really interesting results from my sea grass experiment I'm thinking of starting a new thread on it. Or maybe I should just post it on this thread? Hmm something to think about.

Just have to share this.

Wow... so today I scored 2 new photosynthetic gorgonians at a very reasonable price. What's so special bout these? They're PACIFIC gorgonians. Most of the photosynthetic seafans in the hobby today come from the Carribean, while most gorgonians from the pacific tend to be non-photosynthetic.

Their beauty is subtle, but I think one that any photosynthetic gorgonian lover would appreciate. B)

Btw they are: Isis hippuris and Rumphella aggregata

Haha... yeah, I'd love to borrow your camera. ;) That is, if you're willing to send it all the way to Toronto, Canada hehe. :lol:

I'll get around to taking some shots of them with my crappy point and shoot, eventually. LOL.

For my own record:

Not sure what the trigger is but the black foot trochus snails are at it again. Can't see where the eggs have been laid but the males are squirtin a whole lotta white into the tank.

Maybe they should be re-named "peter north" snails lol... ok that might have to be censored and if so, I understand mods hehe. :lol:

Awesome looking tank, im so jealous!

Im in Ontario too, about 40 minutes away from Toronto. Where do you get all your equipment/livestock? There are barely any aquarists in my city and the closest LFS is in Oakville :/ I'd love to know, your tank looks amazing.

Thanks Fish_Maniac!

Most of my equipment, I buy used from other hobbist in the GTA. Retail prices in Canada kills. The oligopoly setup in the Canadian economy allows companies larger profit margins, that's why we're seeing a whole slew of U.S. bigbox retailers moving up here now.

In terms of the macro algae, I get them from the 'States - one of the benefits of having friends and relatives down south :). That said, it's not cheap. In the last 4 years, including the cost of U.S. domestic shipping, cost of the actual plants, packaging, etc...I've spent between $150 - $200 total per year trying to bring macro algae into Canada. So, by no means has this hobby been "cheap". Nor do I have much to show for how much I've actually put into it :huh: Only a few of the total amount of plants I've gotten survive the trip and recover.

Very occasionally I find stuff as hitchhikers in local fish stores and have to try convincing them to give me or sell them to me. Sometimes I end up having to buy coral and live rock I don't want/ need just to get the dang macro algae that I was after. LOOOL. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I've been bad. I've been...very bad.

I need to update this thread.

No fts but maybe isolated pics of stuff and info lol. Still waging war against _thar_evil_bubble_algae_ *shakes fist*. Over the past few months I chanced upon a few good deals on some very cool types of fish, and not having had any opportunity to get any new macro algae, I spent some money on fish instead.

Will post pics over the next few days. Maybe. Lol.

Nice tank! I'm really lovin' the macro tanks recently. I'm too poor to start one (and not knowledgeable enough in them still), but they look really neat and introduce a certain realism to a tank.

Good luck with your experiments I'll be back to check the results!

@ mmcguffi: Haha yeah, I was just telling someone earlier in the week what a hypocrite I am for egging on other people to post more pictures but haven't updated my thread in ages lol.

i completely forgot about this tank and all it's awsomeness! :o

so yeah i will be waiting for an update if you get around to it.

Aw thanks! Personally I think my tank has long been surpassed in the "AWESOMENESS" by other members of our macro community here on NR! :)

Nice tank! I'm really lovin' the macro tanks recently. I'm too poor to start one (and not knowledgeable enough in them still), but they look really neat and introduce a certain realism to a tank.

Good luck with your experiments I'll be back to check the results!

Thanks man, some already going well, about to proceed to another "phase" while other experiments are being conceived or changed. Probably won't get to share all my ideas, but will post a few results.

Stay tuned! Pics to be posted over the next few days! omgomgomg:haha:

Of course, just after I promised to update my tank journal, I get busy with other things. I've tons of pictures but just haven't sorted them (I rarely edit) to make a coherent post. In anycase, for all of you picture hungry reefers, here are some token fts to tide you over til I can get a more thorough update done.

IMG_4185.JPG

IMG_4191.JPG

Aahahahahaahahahahhaaa... :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :naughtydance:

no, no.... here are the real token fts LOLz.

IMG_4185.JPG

IMG_4191.JPG

The tank is still in transition, so everything is pretty much a mess.

Hi teemee,

The gorgs are still around. That last picture was taken right after I moved them into a temporary pail of water. I didn't want to expose them to all the debris and muck that occurs when I pull things out of the sand. Will post pics later.

• 2 weeks later...

This tank looks great I can't wait to see it all back together again. There was only one thing I was thinking that would be an awesome addition to this tank and that would be a couple mini mini anemones would look good among all the macro.

• 4 weeks later...
This tank looks great I can't wait to see it all back together again. There was only one thing I was thinking that would be an awesome addition to this tank and that would be a couple mini mini anemones would look good among all the macro.

Thanks, Mustang! I don't have any mini anemones but do plan on eventually adding some rockflower anemones. I have some pretty unique types of rhodactis mushrooms and 2 saint thomas shrooms as well. I'll post pics of them later for ya.

Very cool!

Thanks msscha!

Archived