Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Forest Edge

RESONANCE

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...

Hey EVERYONE!

First off, I've to apologize for the TOTAL lack of updates... certain events in life took hold and I wasn't able to look after my tank the way I'd initially set out doing so. I can't say I'm completely back, but I will endeavor to post some updates now and then.

Now to the tank! There has been changes but not to the "skeleton"/ hardscape of the tank - well not much. I had the opportunity to buy some Vanuatu live rock (here in Canada its considered very rare) so the tank's a bit crowded with it. Unfortunately all my oargrass died. I still think it's due to adding far too many cerith snails too early to the system before the oar grass had a proper chance to take hold. My cactus caulpera didn't make it either. But, to my surprise, my Sargassum absolutely thrived! I've also added a bit of codium edule from my other tank - initally it was the size of a golf ball but over the course of 6 months or so it's now the size of a soft ball. Finally, some razor caulpera that I had bought off a local reefer is starting to take off.

Thanks to the article posted by yardboy, I've now uprooted some mangroves and am attempting to encourage them to develop the arching aerial roots that everyone loves too see. Oh yeah talking about aerial roots! My black mangrove (center of tank) has developed one thick arching aerial root! LOL. took me by total surprise! Ofcourse before it had a chance to sink into the sand one stupid hitchhiker crab bit off the tip - totally pissed me off! :angry: Needless to say, the crab got banished to the lfs. Fortunately the root recovered and grew another tip - but now it's got a funky geometric angle to it - LOL! :lol:

Anyhow, here's a token FTS update and picture of the mangrove's "arching" root! Enjoy!

IMG_3528.JPG

IMG_3519.JPG

Thanks guys (and gal ;) )! The tank's not exactly the way I wanted... but it does have a certain neglected "charm" to it I suppose LOL. :lol:

wow great tank. in 5 years if this tank is still going it will look incredible!!

Haha... yeah we'll see ...thanks anyhow! :)

johnmaloney

and a close up of the codium edule you were talking about, I can see a large clump of it ont he left there I think. That is a really nice tank

Thanks John and everyone! Wow, a compliment coming from the macro-master! I'm wayyy flattered ;). Still a work in progress though. We'll see if I get a chance this year to modify it.

I'll try and take some close ups, but all I have is a crappy (compared to current cameras) point and shoot at this time. Unless someone wants to donate me their DSLR and macro lense! :D

Haaha! Yeah... the main tank is still a 'pipe dream'. It's physically located above this tank. Same size (40 breeder) and lighting. I need to save money to buy more hardware like 2x mp10ESw, probably a HOT skimmer, bulkheads, piping, etc... So we'll see. Pray/ wish me well and hopefully I'll be able to realize my vision sooner than later and post pics here! :D.

Thanks for the compliment though!

johnmaloney

oh wow that is just a refugium. since it isnt set yet anyway you should make the tank really boring to look at and then tell people to check out your filter...lol..that would be hysterical.

Haha! Now THAT's an idea! :lol: LOLZ! Hmmm, how bout just a deep sand bed with with some tilefish or garden eels? But even that's still interesting! Hardly anything from the sea is boring. :huh: Lol. :lol:

Yeah, I could never really understand why people would have such nice display tanks but their refugium would be boring to look at. It had elements that can be arranged into a design but its rare that anyone ever did it. Mangroves, live rock, rubble rock, sand, macro algae - all can easily be arranged into a design! I mean we do it in freshwater tanks (design with plants), so why not in salt water as well? So I figured I'd try it out. B)

johnmaloney
Haha! Now THAT's an idea! :lol: LOLZ! Hmmm, how bout just a deep sand bed with with some tilefish or garden eels? But even that's still interesting! Hardly anything from the sea is boring. :huh: Lol. :lol:

Yeah, I could never really understand why people would have such nice display tanks but their refugium would be boring to look at. It had elements that can be arranged into a design but its rare that anyone ever did it. Mangroves, live rock, rubble rock, sand, macro algae - all can easily be arranged into a design! I mean we do it in freshwater tanks (design with plants), so why not in salt water as well? So I figured I'd try it out. B)

yeah that is a good point. I think maybe it is about utility, either cleaning wise or use of space, but yours seems pretty packed in there so it probably wouldnt make much difference .

• 4 weeks later...

Such a nice tank. As another person mentioned it would be awsome to see this in 5 years. After almost 2 years my tank is looking better to me. Yours would be astounding :)

Hey peeps!

Some slightly major changes are coming so it's about time for another update :happy: ... I took some photos and tried to get some half decent 'close-ups' as some people requested. Not too sure I was successful, :huh: but I'll post them anyways (I think). Stay tuned while I upload the pics! :)

Hey peeps!

Some slightly major changes are coming so it's about time for another update :happy: ... I took some photos and tried to get some half decent 'close-ups' as some people requested. Not too sure I was successful, :huh: but I'll post them anyways (I think). Stay tuned while I upload the pics! :)

...waiting... :mellow:

Patience, grasshopper. A watched kettle never boils... :lol:

It takes time to sort the good pics from the bad, then I still have to resize before I upload :P. All in due time. Probably a few hours. Definately tonight; and by the term 'tonight', I use the word losely. LOL. As in, definately before the sun comes up. :D:lol: Doin different things at the same time. :)

...waiting... :mellow:

Archived