ReefCleaners.org

Gulfsurfer101's fantastic finnex 30g M-tank

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

Breaking bandersnatchbittlesnittles bat man, my finnex somehow sprung a leak. Luckily I had picked up a 20 tall when petco had thier dollar a gallon sale or I would be freaking out. I transferred everything over temporarily till I'm able to repair my finnex. I could see where some of the black silicone had come off the glass near the top and looks to be where the slow leak was coming from. All I have running on my20t my eshopps skimer, AC30 with some carbon to help clear up the tank faster and clean up whatever toxins my corals might have released during the transfer. On a good note I did finally get my MU hung up though and it looks killer, even through cloudy water my coral were all glistennin in the actinic blue when I tested it out over the 20t. I'll lget pics up in a few days.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
squirrelieygrrrl

hey gulf!

i was just thinking how nice this tank was coming along until i read your last post. so sorry to hear, hope you get it all sorted soon.

gulfsurfer101

No worries, everything transferred over nicely with out too many problems. I got pics of everything in the 20t with my new boost led light. My pics don't do it justice at all but I'll post them anyways just to see what condition my tank was left in after the latest mishap. Maybe this is the big push to finally start that 75g I've been dreaming about.

boostleds026-1.jpg

boostleds013.jpg

boostleds002.jpg

same pic with uv's off

boostleds012.jpg

boostleds004.jpg

under uv's and blues only, this brain glows.

boostleds001.jpg

I will be on thehunt for a better p&s

gulfsurfer101

I just got done resilconing my finnex and hopefully it won't leak anymore. I will give it at least 24hrs to cure before I leak test the thing. I was messing around and took some video of my boost mu over my 20t. What you see is the fisxture on at 100% then I cut the whites leaving on only RB's and violets, let it chill a minute then kick back on the whites. Mh can't compete with that. I used to hate to wait to kick my bulbs back on after turning them off for whatever reason.

th_Capture_20110303.jpg

gulfsurfer101

No just tossed them all under the MU after my finnex started leaking and this was supposed to be a temporary home till I got my finnex repaired. It's taking longer than I thought it would though. All my coral have taken to this light almost overnight. My sps is open just about 24/7, zoas that hadn't opened up since a hardfreeze and power outage are starting to come around and open under the leds so I'm happy about that. Right now I have the fixture about 6" over the surface and once I repair my finnex it will be about 5" off the surface.

gulfsurfer101

I got everything transferred back into my finnex yesterday after a 2 day leak test to make shure it wasn't going to leak on me again. Water was still a bit cloudy when I went to bed last tnight but looks like it cleared up a bit overnight and my coral is just now waking up as my lights were kicking on. Here's the latest, I will most likely rescape after I get back from a two day job up in San Antonio since I just tossed everything back in there when visibility was near zero. Everything seems to have made the swap pretty well and hopefully I'll be able to find some nice additions if I get some time off up in San Antone.

fishiesncuties001.jpg

fishiesncuties002.jpg

fishiesncuties003.jpg

fishiesncuties004.jpg

I'm getting full polp extention out of my sps on the sand bed which is pretty nice. All my zoas, softies and lps are loving the new leds as well.

Looks like you've had a few bumps but this tank is looking awesome as usual. That lemon-peel really looked awesome tho, I may think about one for my tank now, even if it nips...

gulfsurfer101

Yeah my tank nearly froze and killed my my large stag acro and melted my eagle eyes, then it freaking started coming apart from the front right side leaking water everywhere and driving my salinity really low as my ato kept filling my tank stressing out lots o stuff. I plan on letting it chill for a little bit before I go stocking up once again. I do want to get out and find a couple of reef shops since I'm in San Antonio for the remainder of the week for work and if there is anything that I just can't pass up then I'll bring it home with me. Kushka the lemonpeel fish was a complete fail. He hid all day and I would notice him nip at stuff after my lights went out so He was gone. I'd rather have a tank with no fish and nice coral than a tank with a nice fish and dying coral. I did add an orange spot goby that hides all day so I will be looking at getting a free swimmer soon.

gulfsurfer101

Well I noticed that my orange spot is out and about since my return from San Antonio. I brought back a tiger pistol for the tank and the bond was almost instant. I have yet to get a good pic of him but at last I'm finally able to get a pick of my orange spot chilling in the dug out my pistol dug out for the two. I'm noticing a few more caverns and holes along the rock bottoms throught the tank where sand keeps piling up. I figured this an opportune photo moment that I thought I would share.

octopic2001.jpg

and a curious hermit

octopic2003.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl

sweet gulf! glad to see the tank back in action. lookin great! hopefully it will be smooth sailing for the finnex from now on!

gulfsurfer101

Thank you squirllygurl, it seems to be doing ok atm. I want to get me a larger rimless set up similar to that sleek looking tank you just went and got yourself. That thing is shaweet! I was looking it over last night and was going to post but with three kids running around the casa it's kinda diffucult to stay tuned into anything for more than a few seconds. I'll be working lots of overtime hours in the coming weeks so I might just be able to afford a new rimless cube soon enough.

gulfsurfer101

Finally got some pistol-ero pics! After my daylight leds shut off I fed the tank a bit of mysis and spot fed a few in front of thier cavern to lure them out.

octopic3025.jpg

octopic3022.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl
Thank you squirllygurl, it seems to be doing ok atm. I want to get me a larger rimless set up similar to that sleek looking tank you just went and got yourself. That thing is shaweet! I was looking it over last night and was going to post but with three kids running around the casa it's kinda diffucult to stay tuned into anything for more than a few seconds. I'll be working lots of overtime hours in the coming weeks so I might just be able to afford a new rimless cube soon enough.

thats good to hear gulf. ill keep my fingers crossed for you. my 16 is just plagued full of probs atm too. lol. thanks for the compliments! ive been lusting over a large rimless system for years. it took me a while to get up the gumption to buy one. hope you can get one for your self soon enough! for all the headaches kids sure are great! i have a 4 year old my self. i dunno if i could manage three! id probably send em back. return slip please! ;)

great shots of the newbies! im sure they will be more courageous soon enough and youll actually be able to observe them.

gulfsurfer101

I'd love to set up a large tank but I do plan to move and would just rather put it off till I'm set up at whever I decide will be home. I still have a few months of planning but have decided that this town may not be the best one to bring up three kids in and can be rather dull for me. I have a perm addy here so anywhere I'm working I'd be on the look out for that per deim check, and that is guilt free coral funds with enough to hand out to the old lady to keep her cool about my spending.

• 3 weeks later...
gulfsurfer101

I left this tank sit for 15 days w/o wc's and just relied on my ato for dosing while I was away for work and come back to find some signifagant growth out of my sps. One loose monti has encrusted itself over to the rock it was resting on finding a permenant spot in the reef and my blue bottle brush is starting to grow thicker shoots and branches. A frag of rpe's and pink paly's have encruted into one colony under my MU and I made my first coral purchase for this tank since the winter freeze that nearly took out this tank. I think it is some kind of lobo or open brain of some sorts.

gulfsurfer101

I had a small frag of that purple acro when my rockwork caved during a wc. I just got rid of that locally, and my fuzzy blue acro is just now taking off really fast after swapping to the boostled MU series so I might chance it once it gets to a size I feel confident in fraging from. I can get lots of small sps frags at good prices locally, I just don't care for how finnicky it is when it comes to small disasters like vacation mishaps, electric outages, heat stress, blah, blah, blah. I just got rid of my softball sized of gsp and large kenya tree to some local newb and picked up a small head of neon green candy cane coral and purple plate that was fragged in half a few months ago and has healed up nicely. I want to fill out more LPS and polyps around the sand bed and lower rockwork before picking a few more choice sps frags and letting this tank grow out. I'll be up in the DFW area in about a week and will see what kind of cool stuff I can bring back, but when I do have some sps frags that I no longer care for or have too much of I will send some your way. I know your a good guy that's down for some trade.

thats good to hear gulf. ill keep my fingers crossed for you. my 16 is just plagued full of probs atm too. lol. thanks for the compliments! ive been lusting over a large rimless system for years. it took me a while to get up the gumption to buy one. hope you can get one for your self soon enough! for all the headaches kids sure are great! i have a 4 year old my self. i dunno if i could manage three! id probably send em back. return slip please! ;)

great shots of the newbies! im sure they will be more courageous soon enough and youll actually be able to observe them.

You were right, once the shrimp got a foot hold the goby is always out now always watching from their burrow. I returned from Laredo last week to find the entire rockwork had been tunnelled but I had to destroy most of them because they had covered lots of polyps and sand dwelling lps. I went to lfs today to get a free swimmer to liven up the tank but brought home two new lps coral instead.

gulfsurfer101

I was messing around with my new recorder nad decided to get some vid of my tank going. Sorry bout any back ground noise but I got three little ones constantly wreaking havoc in my house.

th_nikkiskidsvids011.jpg

gulfsurfer101

Holy crap! I was messing with my timer yesterday and forgot to place it back on auto so my lighting period was just over 24hrs before returning back home to shut it off. Nothing looked to stressed out other than a few zoas closed up and some funky carpet type algea that I can see swaying in the water. Thankfully I snapped or I might have been liable to be out the whole weekend with my lights running and walked into a disaster tank. I'll leave them off till tommorrow and just pick back up to my regular lighting cycle. Close calls like this make me wonder why I'm still even doing this.

gulfsurfer101

Well things are looking ok, I got some pics this morning. Things seem to handle the leds a lot better than MH. I had a timer stick on me during a weekend trip and came back to a melted tank full of goop and shroom stew once when I was first starting out. Luckily all I lost were cheap 5 dollar shrooms and xnia, but I learned a valuable lesson to never cheap out on a timer. It was my own stupid fault and things could've been a lot worst than what they really were. Here are some pics I took with my new toy.

mykidsvids1012.jpg

mykidsvids1019.jpg

under actinic only

mykidsvids1026.jpg

mykidsvids1020.jpg

current fts

mykidsvids1010.jpg

Yes that is a baby sock over my mag float. Keeps the sand from scratching the glass.

Archived