Coral Vue Hydros

Gulfsurfer101's fantastic finnex 30g M-tank

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

Yep, I'll see how things level out in the tank for a while and then see what I'm going to keep in there.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn man what rotten luck. at least they aren't too expensive by you. wasnt he like 20$? you could get four for how much I see them go for here.

gulfsurfer101
Damn man what rotten luck. at least they aren't too expensive by you. wasnt he like 20$? you could get four for how much I see them go for here.

Yeah, that's the way I see it too. I'm glad it didn't bring down my whole tank and now with the temps under control and wc things are looking back to normal.

cool! ya know I should just get you to ship me one of those anglers :happy: It'd still be cheaper even with overnight! I've also gotten the most awesome zoas now gonna let em grow out. I'll still send some your way even if you don't catch another sargassum angler.

or was it macros... lol cant remember.

gulfsurfer101

I can't wait till angler season comes around again. Everything here usually comes in seasons. Not too much happen round here in the fall. I'd imagine that it would be nice just offshore round the oilplatforms though. They have lots of cool stuff like sun coral and all kinds of fish like tesselated blenny's that are tottally awsome when housed together. I'd love to have a tank with all kinds of blennies that can live together just over taking the tank. Not too shure which direction I'm going to take yet, i'm just going to let things settle down and wait for signs of growth from my coral before adding anything.

you guys are so damn lucky down south. well cept florida cause you cant touch anything there lol. but the only thing I can collet here are feeder fish or shrimp. I did find a bit or red sponge, I hope it makes it.

gulfsurfer101

I've never seen anything that would come even close to what you'll find in florida or any other place. The beach life here is pretty lame as far as gathering stuff that makes a cool tank inhabitant but there are certain things if you know where to look. I once had an ap12 filled with locally caught bundolactis anemones. I had about 30-50 at a time just spread across the entire substrate. I would love to watch that tank devour a cube of mysis under the moonlighting. I can no longer find those hardley since they erradicated them from our local peir.

gulfsurfer101

So after my anlgers death, I now have to come up with a crafty thread title sub-header. Bad news, as far as good new goes though the local aquaculture facitlity that most of my coral is from is having a customer apreaciation day on the 16th and coincidently that's the same day my birthday falls on so I might be picking up some sweet sweet birthday coralz at discounted from already kick ass prices.

• 2 weeks later...
gulfsurfer101

Today is my birthday and gulf coast reef is throwing a customer apreciation day with food and adult beverages so they couldn't have planned this out no better. I get to get my drink on for free, grab some nice coralz at nicley discounted prices and if I'm lucky I might get some..........

fish or something cool to add to the tank.

gulfsurfer101

Feeling it this morning, I woke up to find a new brain coral frag and some true rpe's I was able to pick up yesterday at the party. It was pretty cool, and I even won a free water test which is good and kinda scary since I have never even tested my water since setting up this tank. It was a good night leading up to a good morning watching the sun rise over a beautiful Texas gulf shore.

gulfsurfer101

Not much going on here in ways of change. Things have started to get back to normal from the recent little disasters that plauged this tank when my ac went out. I am working long hours latley and when I get home the actinics are the only lights running so no pics till I get a day off. I want to build a stand for my tank soon to be able to hide the topoff bucket or may decide to drill my oceanic 30g cube and use one as a frag tank and the other as a display. I have so much spare stuff including a practically new 150w mh pendant just sitting in a closet itching to be put to use. I just wish I had the time and the means to drill my spare tank and start up a new project. I've also been debating that the oceanic might make a nice cichlid tank but could see that getting boring very fast.

gulfsurfer101

Thanks, my wife tells me that my daughter asked the cake lady to put corals on the cake so that's what I think is one the bottom. It was pretty good too, I picked up the brain and rpe's on my birthday and I picked up that torch and a small sps frag today.

gulfsurfer101
cool! ya know I should just get you to ship me one of those anglers :happy: It'd still be cheaper even with overnight! I've also gotten the most awesome zoas now gonna let em grow out. I'll still send some your way even if you don't catch another sargassum angler.

or was it macros... lol cant remember.

Hey man, I'm stopping by there this weekend, you want me to see if they have anything in. I'm pretty shure they'll ship it over to you.

Hey man, I'm stopping by there this weekend, you want me to see if they have anything in. I'm pretty shure they'll ship it over to you.

hmm, well do let me know what they have. I'm broke atm, but I have an interview weds so I may have money again soon. fingerscrossed Thanks!

gulfsurfer101
hmm, well do let me know what they have. I'm broke atm, but I have an interview weds so I may have money again soon. fingerscrossed Thanks!

Sweet, getting a job. You already planning upgrades, jk. I know I work so many hours I can spend some on my fish and still get everything taken care of. It's kinda like a quota. Speaking of equipment I was looking at the vortec mp40 upgrade but don't really even need it with the mp20 so that's kinda a waste of money. I was also looking at maybe lighting this tank with a few par 30's if I get them like once month or so or buy two and get one a month later. I think that would be a much better investment and ditch the mh.

Sweet, getting a job. You already planning upgrades, jk. I know I work so many hours I can spend some on my fish and still get everything taken care of. It's kinda like a quota. Speaking of equipment I was looking at the vortec mp40 upgrade but don't really even need it with the mp20 so that's kinda a waste of money. I was also looking at maybe lighting this tank with a few par 30's if I get them like once month or so or buy two and get one a month later. I think that would be a much better investment and ditch the mh.

Yeah lol :D well it'll be a n updowngrade probably. I should be off to live on campus in the spring semestre (If I don't fail any of my classes this semestre :scared:) I;m thinking my brother will take the clowns and such, and i'll take the predators. I'm with you on the quota system. I'm definitely going to do that instead of blowing all my cash on my tanks and being broke. I've actually been thinking of switching to LEDs too, though I'd do a DIY. If I downgrade, I don't need the added heat of the T5s! The only thing is I would do not only blues and whites, but UVs and some redder ones to get more of the spectrum present.

gulfsurfer101
haha my mom got me a finding nemo cake for my birthday

Post some pics! My birffday cake was delicious!

Yeah lol :D well it'll be a n updowngrade probably. I should be off to live on campus in the spring semestre (If I don't fail any of my classes this semestre :scared:) I;m thinking my brother will take the clowns and such, and i'll take the predators. I'm with you on the quota system. I'm definitely going to do that instead of blowing all my cash on my tanks and being broke. I've actually been thinking of switching to LEDs too, though I'd do a DIY. If I downgrade, I don't need the added heat of the T5s! The only thing is I would do not only blues and whites, but UVs and some redder ones to get more of the spectrum present.

Moving blows, your tank always looks like $#! for while, things sometimes die, it never is a good day when you have to move your tank. I hope all goes well for you.

Archived