Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Gulfsurfer101's fantastic finnex 30g M-tank

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

Seen em do it. I'm going to do like a small predatory reef with this one so the clown is out once I get the skimmer on the other tank in my kids room. A damsel a week isn't that pricey either but most of it's diet consist of fozen chunks of shrimp and silverside. I've seen online that a 30g tank is ideal for them since they are pretty much stationary hunters. I've kept wild caught sargassum's for a few years with some success, they are probably someof my most favorite fish. The last one I kept was tottally reef safe and would accept only frozen foods.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

Messing with the camera to improve on my photo taking skills. You can never have enough skills.

newestfish017.jpg

newestfish016.jpg

newestfish009.jpg

newestfish006.jpg

newestfish005.jpg

newestfish003.jpg

newestfish025.jpg

newestfish024.jpg

Pretty cool sps frags for ten bucks

newestfish023.jpg

Also got some zoas from moto and will get some pics once they open up. He is the man and true zoa hoarder. I'd also like to mark the clownfish is no longer a resident of this tank and now the only fish in here is the angler.

the clown became food? or did you just move him? I'm sorta hoping my banggai is still there when I get home on sat. I'm afraid he'll become lion food. I need to get the tank set up for him.

gulfsurfer101

He's in my kids tank till I can find him a good home since my girls want a pair of seahoarses from the local facility here. They spawned like 200 that are almost ready and another batch of week old babies. The clown might terrorize them to death so he will be going soon. I'm thinking of adding a sixline or something that is large enough and fast enough to stay out of the mouth of the beast.

Sixlines are sweet! I loved mine but he jumped :( hopefully you'll be able to find some more of the sargassum anglers, those guys look sweet! I'm working on setting up a predatory reef in my hexagon.

gulfsurfer101

Dude I have had no such luck. I have a three day weekend coming up so I might try again and go peppermint hunting overnight since I get store credit at a few places for those. I need me a new mh bulb for my daughters tank.

gulfsurfer101

Nah, it's hard work drinking all night and trying to chase their freaky little glowing eyeballs not to mention the risk factor of hunting near the peir we dub shark city. At any given time in the day once you get out past the third gut to surf you are within 8-18ft of a shark. They come in much closer at night. I've been bumped a few times when I was younger and crazy trying a peir lit surf at 4am. I've seen some dude battle a 12 foot manta ray for 4hrs not more than 200 yards where we were lined up in the water. There's some freaky $#!T out there.

god i love anglers, thats a beauty you have there. ... it makes me miss my nibler :tears: he was in my pico, i believe i still have pics of him in my thread.

gulfsurfer101
god i love anglers, thats a beauty you have there. ... it makes me miss my nibler :tears: he was in my pico, i believe i still have pics of him in my thread.

I was combing through your thread and that angler was sick looking. I think I will try to get a vid of this guy munching on a damsel when I can clear up my camera for more video space.

gulfsurfer101

Dealing with pests today. Found some flat worms crawling around my glass this morning and pulled what looks like a zoa eating nudibranch out of my tank. I opted for a natural method of flatwork elimination and added a yellow coris wrasse to the tank today before I found the nudi. I will most likely treat this tank for the next few days to weeks with fw exit and see how it goes from there. I tried to keep this tank as clean as possible but some eggs must have slipped through somehow, some way.

Well looks like what I was dealing with was a pod explosion after adding in some sand to rear fuge section. I removed a rock from my tank yesterday to mount a new acro and and disgusted by the amount of sponges and detruis build up on my rock so I brok the tank down, filledup some buckets and removed everything and shook off the rocks as much as I could to get that stuff off them. I did a 50% water change and wasn't ready to restock till after midnight but I couldn't think of anything better to do with my saterday night while my wife was out of town with the kids and some of my family. I rescaped a bit as to what works best and bought a 3 dollar damsel for my angler. Here are the pics after the endavor.

Side shot

spongeonrocks012.jpg

spongeonrocks008.jpg

Left upper

spongeonrocks011.jpg

Right upper with new piece

spongeonrocks009.jpg

spongeonrocks007.jpg

Found some kind of freaky sponge or something on the back of this rock.

spongeonrocks002.jpg

spongeonrocks001.jpg

I need to start looking for more lps coral to fill in the floor bed since I'm tired of looking at bare glass and sand is not goin to be an option for this tank. I picked up frags from GCR for ten bucks, blowpops and 24k zoas to start with. I may glue some gsp to the floor to cover ups some bareness. It's like leaving the house in shorts that go above the knee, it just aint right.

new scape looks nice.

Thanks man, I realized now that I didn't even add an fts and shown partials. I'm loving that acro so much that I already split it and took a good a good chunk of that to grow out a little higher on the shelf and brought my bigger zoa colony down to fill out some floor space.

zoas007.jpg

No visible dammage to this colony and it's buisiness as usual after loosing 1/4 of its mass just yesterday.

zoas006.jpg

I'll have to get that fts up later since I didn't snap any and don't feel like loading any pics up tonight.

I know everybodies at the edge of seat waiting for them, lol.

Yeah man! come on!!! what the hell are you being a tease for ?!?! :lol:

You sir may have just earned yourself an angler when I can find one. It's been way to hot to even head out to the beach lately though. I'll get them up tommorrow, things are starting to look a bit crowded in this tank finally and I just got rid of my 40br after having it on CL for three months so no turning back now. I should have a spare 120 bucks for this tank after I get my refund from boost led so I'm looking at future stocking or equipment options.

You sir may have just earned yourself an angler when I can find one. It's been way to hot to even head out to the beach lately though. I'll get them up tommorrow, things are starting to look a bit crowded in this tank finally and I just got rid of my 40br after having it on CL for three months so no turning back now. I should have a spare 120 bucks for this tank after I get my refund from boost led so I'm looking at future stocking or equipment options.

B)

Its getting pretty cold up here, I was thinking of heading to the beach to collect some more feeders this weekend. and congrats on selling the tank; wish I had some spare cash for equipment; my wtb eventually list is getting quite long.

bluefunelement

I have 2 F30's and love em. One is standard with the stock lights and skimmer etc and the other is being modded currently into a rimless, narrow fuge, and PFO huge MH pendant. I'll have some threads up soon.

What are you using for a fuge light and ATO pump?

Must be nice to be able to go to the beach and grab some feeder livestock for the tank. The Pacific water is too cold for me to do that. :(

its not exactly warm here anymore.

I have 2 F30's and love em. One is standard with the stock lights and skimmer etc and the other is being modded currently into a rimless, narrow fuge, and PFO huge MH pendant. I'll have some threads up soon.

What are you using for a fuge light and ATO pump?

Lets see the threads, I have not been able to see another tank on any forum I've searched yet and would like to see what people are soing with these tanks. I picked up this tank for 150 with the Finnex MH/T5 combo lighting and I dropped another 75 for the skimmer so I got it pretty cheap for what I see them go brand new. I am using one of those toms deco lighting with a 6500k bulb to grow out my cheato and my ato consist of an 8 dollar sensor from chicago sensors and a toms aqualifter that I got from glennr1978 a year or so ago for helping him move a tank. The ato is very acurate and I have it to where there is always surface agitation in the rear chambers with minimal noise since this tank sits next our bed in our room. I'd love to get a nice led fixture for this tank to reduce heat and am in the market for a few par 38 bulbs.

Must be nice to be able to go to the beach and grab some feeder livestock for the tank. The Pacific water is too cold for me to do that. :(

Tell me about it, I tried to have that little badazz attitude and just trunk it when I was there about 8yrs ago and was out of the water in about 15min getting in neoprene. It was in the middle of summer since I was still in school I remember. Our water gets cold enough here in the winter to suit up but not till november.

hey gulf!

lookin great! love the additions/changes. definitely on the edge of my seat! :lol:

:wub:

You make me blush!

Archived