Innovative Marine Aquariums

cichlidtx's nanocube to 40br transfer

cichlidtx

I sold my 75FW tank so I could setup a 40br (Petco sale). I currently have a 12gal Nanocube thats been running for about a 17 Months and doing well. I have run out a space and away we go. I will be re-using the 75 stand as it is built in.

Equipment list so far:
DT 40 breeder
Sump 20 Long (fuge/return/skimmer)
Overflow Beananimal style
Return Two 3/4" over top
Lights 36" 4x39W SLR T5 Retrofit Kit
Skimmer BM NAC6, should have by the end of the month
Return pump Mag7
Sand – Natures Ocean Bio-activ live
Korallia Evo 750
Spectrapure CSPDI
Oceanic salt mix

Things to do:
Drill for 1" bulkheads x3 (Hopefully this weekend, first time wish me luck)
Make overflow (18x4x3.5 no teeth with lid)
Finish stand and build canopy
Paint back black
Buy dry rock (I think I will be going with Reef Cleaners, any comments.)

That's all I can think of for now. I will keep updating my progress.

FTS 9/13

post-41930-0-92205100-1378132841_thumb.jpg

Tank on stand. I plan raising the tank about 6" like in pic.
081110-1.jpg

Equipment so far.
081110-2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, I would like to thank everyone that has responded to all my posts during my planning stages. I finally drilled the tank. It wasn't as difficult as I thought. I just took my time and I think it came pretty good. Anyway enough typing, here are some pics. Please leave feedback, pros and cons. Thanks

I did practice on a 10gal tank and found that I needed a template to get the hole started.

100910-7.jpg

100910-6.jpg

results of my drilling, took about 15 minutes a hole

100910-5.jpg

100910-4.jpg

mock up on drain and retuns

100910-3.jpg

100910-2.jpg

Update to my progress. I will be building the platform for the stand this weekend and will start working on the overflow and sump this week. I also ordered 50#'s Florida Reef Rock from ReefCleaners tonight. Getting closer to adding water.

Platform is almost complete, need to paint it and add molding to cover screws and brads. The tank bottom is at 38" from the floor. I hope to finish the paint tomorrow.

Platform1.jpg

socal thanks for the comment. I think I will go with skimmer/return/fuge setup. I'm going to try and get it layed out this week. I haven't received my skimmer yet so I'm kinda holding off (NAC6). I would feel more comfortable having it in place first then laying out.

I received my 50# order of base rock from reefcleaners and wanted to share some pics. I'm extremely pleased with the rock. When I first received the box I was worried as it was slightly damaged, but upon opening it I was surprised very little damage. The box had about 5 rocks the size of a football and then more slightly smaller. Anyway here's some pics.

Package delivered

reefcleanerspackage.jpg

Packaged opened

reefcleanersopenpackage.jpg

Rock removed from box

reefcleanersrock.jpg

reefcleanersrock1.jpg

Closeup

reefcleanersrock2.jpg

if you dont mind, can you go threw your herbie/bean animal overflow, with an explanation and measurments.

Shiver905. I basically followed Bean's design with everything except for the coast to coast overflow. I will be using a shorter length overflow because I added the returns to the back wall. If your interested in measurements as far a hole locations I can get those if you'd like. Here's a link to Bean's webpage that has parts list breakdown.

BeanAnimal fail safe

I have an update to my progress. I painted the platform and the inside of the stand. I need to polyurethane the top and the bottom of the floor inside the stand. I also got the glass for the overflow and the 4 baffles for the sump. I did make a mistake on my measurements but I will see if the glass shop can polish off a 1/4" on the end pieces. I ordered some Dow black 999a silicone as well. Here's some pics.

paintedplatform.jpg

glassoverflowpanes.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have made some more progress on the tank. I painted the back of the tank and place it on the stand. I will do the overflow tomorrow and finish the sump next week when my skimmer comes in. I ended up getting an SWC150 BMK skimmer as I found a group buy and saved a little $. I did some messing around with the rock scape and came up with this so far. Let me know what you think.

The PVC pipe is no longer there as I drilled the rock and used acrylic rod.

rockscape3.jpg

Well I have made some more progress on the tank. I painted the back of the tank and place it on the stand. I will do the overflow tomorrow and finish the sump next week when my skimmer comes in. I ended up getting an SWC150 BMK skimmer as I found a group buy and saved a little $. I did some messing around with the rock scape and came up with this so far. Let me know what you think.

The PVC pipe is no longer there as I drilled the rock and used acrylic rod.

rockscape3.jpg

I think you were in the same group buy as me. My SWC is pulling out some nasty stuff from my 40b. Great skimmer.

Thanks for the comments. Nanoreefsurf, I'm glad to hear that the skimmer is working great for you. Mine should be here next week, can't wait to get it. I finished my overflow today just letting it cure and then will attach to the tank this week. I'm now working on the plumbing layout. Here's couple pics of the overflow

overflow pieces

overflowparts.jpg

completed overflow

completedoverflow.jpg

Well some more progress with the tank. The overflow is attached and curing. I also got my skimmer today so I can start on the sump and then the plumbing. Here's some pics.

fitting overflow and preparing to attach

overflowattachment.jpg

overflow attached

overflowattached.jpg

overflowside.jpg

new skimmer

SWCskimmer.jpg

test fit in sump

skimmerinsump.jpg

Well I built the sump this weekend and I'm letting the silicone cure before water testing. I used the same 999A silicone as I still had 3/4's of a tube left over. This silicone is strong. I also leak tested my overflow and it's good to go. :D

separated by cd cases

sumpbuild.jpg

side view showing silicone before and after silicone

sumpbuild-1.jpg

Close up silicone joint, looks like a weld bead.

sumpbuild-2.jpg

Now time to do the plumbing and canopy.

Thanks.

Thanks springfever. I will have to measure tonight for you. I think it was supposed to be 1/8" on each side but it was a little more. The silicone filled in the gap nicely though.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had some more time to work on the tank. I finished the sump and finalized the plumbing. Here's some pics.

back view

plumbingbacktank.jpg

drains

draincloseup.jpg

drainacrylicholder.jpg

bean closeup

beancloseup.jpg

I plan gluing the last few pieces and do a fresh water test for a few days to ensure no leaks. Hopefully be adding Saltwater, sand, and rock next weekend. Then I will begin the canopy and light setup while the cycle starts.

Looks great. I wanted to do that overflow but looked a little to involved for me. Cant wait to see with water running in it. Scape looks great too.

Good Luck

gg

Archived